EA Short Stay Moorings Management

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
IMPORTANT - Mooring signs for the new management scheme are now starting to appear at 24 hour locations. If you decide to moor at these locations please take care to ensure you fully comply with the requirements to register on arrival and make payment if required. The penalty charge for non compliance is £150 with no reduction for prompt payment.

TrueBlue

Visit site
Although you're at the butt end of England - you've shown tha you're not quite a technophobe....
'stuff' the phone 'cos that shower won't answer it anyway - you'll need webaccess and do it on the web - and their website is quite simple and clean. I just resent having to get a web phone just to osculate their-coroporate-alimental-orifice

oldgit

Visit site
The rules and regs seem perfectly acceptable,at least to us annual visitors ie. 25 hours free and then £5.00 . per day for up to 72 hours.
Three days seems more than enough time in one place. My batteries would have been flat two days earlier anyway. :(
Topping up with a genny..........lets not go there. :devilish:

If a private car parking company is the only outfit prepared to take it on this can of worms , so be it.
Just get ready for the first howls of outrage and the lame excuses when the first boater ends up in court writing out a cheque for not only the fine but all the associated court costs.They are well versed in the "Unable to get the hang of things argument"
You had better be very well heeled and very determind to take them on. If the Car Park Co lose just once they will have no business left to make their contract work.

Chris_d

Visit site
The rules and regs seem perfectly acceptable,at least to us annual visitors ie. 25 hours free and then £5.00 . per day for up to 72 hours.
Three days seems more than enough time in one place. My batteries would have been flat two days earlier anyway. :(
Topping up with a genny..........lets not go there. :devilish:

If a private car parking company is the only outfit prepared to take it on this can of worms , so be it.
Just get ready for the first howls of outrage and the lame excuses when the first boater ends up in court writing out a cheque for not only the fine but all the associated court costs.They are well versed in the "Unable to get the hang of things argument"
You had better be very well heeled and very determind to take them on. If the Car Park Co lose just once they will have no business left to make their contract work.
Don't want to start the debate again, but the main objections are that you will be fined for failing to register your arrival regardless of whether there is any fee due or not.
I don't consider mooring up on a free mooring and leaving within the allowed time but not telling anyone an offence.

Portland Billy

Visit site
Am I correct in assuming they require you to register your arrival as they have no other way of determining your length of stay?
How often will the moorings be 'manually' policed to ensure no abuse of their rules?

Scapegoat

Visit site
Don't want to start the debate again, but the main objections are that you will be fined for failing to register your arrival regardless of whether there is any fee due or not.
I don't consider mooring up on a free mooring and leaving within the allowed time but not telling anyone an offence.
I see your point but it’s not very different to many car parks that have free periods - you still need to take a ticket on arrival.
In order for the 24 hour limit to be enforceable there has to be a way to log all arrivals.
If this is the price we pay to stop some boats hogging the available space and ignoring the rules then it’s a price that I’m prepared to pay to have greater availability of mooring space.
I also like the quid pro quo of more sites coming into use, although the suitability (depth, bankside etc) is still to be checked out.

Last edited:

Old Crusty

Visit site
As I've stated before, under S.136 of the TCA, there is no requirement to register arrival at an EA mooring, the act is silent on this issue. Where no law exists and where only a new act or SI or byelaw can change that fact, there can be no compulsion to behave differently.

That is the basis of my complaint to the EA and I'm still waiting for a response.

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
I would have sleepless nights worrying if i didn't comply so i shall do what is asked.
And that is my greatest concern.
I suppose the questions are inevitable but most of the answers will only become evident as we gain experience of how well it operates.
There are unlikely to be any cctv cameras on site although the operators may possibly wear bodycams.
As I have said earlier, please be vigilant and try and ensure that you give no cause for the issuing of a penalty notice.
If you do receive a charge notice it will be up to you to decide if it is a fair cop, or not - in which case you will need to make your complaint and see how it is dealt with.
The boating organisations will be doing their best to monitor the situation.

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
Regrettably, it doesn't seem to matter what we think. At the ,moment the EA are making it quite clear that this is how the moorings will be managed and are robustly defending their stance. Boaters need to behave squeaky clean or boycott the use of these moorings - either way there will be little financial benefit.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
And that is my greatest concern.
I suppose the questions are inevitable but most of the answers will only become evident as we gain experience of how well it operates.
There are unlikely to be any cctv cameras on site although the operators may possibly wear bodycams.
As I have said earlier, please be vigilant and try and ensure that you give no cause for the issuing of a penalty notice.
If you do receive a charge notice it will be up to you to decide if it is a fair cop, or not - in which case you will need to make your complaint and see how it is dealt with.
The boating organisations will be doing their best to monitor the situation.

Maybe boaters should also wear body cameras.

It's all getting a bit unrelaxed though isn't it.

Seems to be bordering on harrassment.

Is it a way of bringing in pre-booked visitor moorings with associated fees?

You dial up where you want to stop and get offered a space according to who else is already there and registered.

I mean for people who want to stop for say 48 hours instead of 24 it would be useful to be able to book a slot.

I would not advocate this at all but is it part of the plan??

Maybe some people would be happy to pay a tenner for the "second day" if they were guaranteed to get a spot on the first day...

So if you arrived at an empty spot and attempted to register then the computer would say "NO".

Hmm hopefully not.