EA Navigation Consultation - boat registration charges proposals from 1 Jan 2022

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
The EA have today published the expected Navigation Consultation on boat registration charges proposals.
We have had no prior knowledge of the details but TMBA and ATYC will be providing members with supporting information in the coming days once we have had opportunity to fully consider the content and ramifications.

*Now live* - Navigation Consultation - boat registration charges proposals from 1 Jan 2022

“Dear TNUF member,

We are pleased to announce that our Navigation charges consultation is now live.

The consultation will be running for 8 weeks, until 16 September 2021.

You will find the Navigation charges consultation page, together with all the relevant information on Citizen Space - Boat registration charges proposals from 1 January 2022 - Environment Agency - Citizen Space. We do encourage you and your members to respond online. We have also attached the full consultation document for your reference.

Please do share with your members. We really value your views and would like as many people as possible to respond. We do recognise that the consultation is quite long but you can choose which sections are most relevant to you.

We will be emailing or writing to all our 18,000 customers to let them know as well. We will also be promoting through press releases to trade and local print media and through social media.

To give you the opportunity to ask any questions should you need to, we will be running 2 virtual drop in sessions. These are provisionally arranged for Wednesday 11 August and Wednesday 18 August – appointments to follow.

Many thanks,

Maria & Mark

Maria Herlihy
Operations Manager for Thames Area
Waterways Manager – Hurley Lock to Teddington Lock

Mark Hill
Operations Manager -Thames Area
Waterways Manager - St John’s Lock to Hambleden Lock”

AP3

Visit site
Just got the email and filled in the survey. My take is that they're ramping up charges to private Thames users, and passing it on as savings to business users. Which of the aforementioned are making money on the Thames?!

Chris_d

Visit site
Started the survey but gave up half way through do they seriously expect every boater to actually complete that in a meaningful and considered way and get sensible answers.

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
No need to rush to complete this as it runs for eight weeks from today. River group user reps have only seen the details today so we need time to fully consider and recognise implications.
seem to remember that last time we did a similar exercise less than 400 power boaters (of approx 8000) responded so hope we can do better this time - why am I not holding my breath ? ?

Last edited:

oldgit

Visit site
last time we did a similar exercise less than 400 power boaters (of approx 8000) responded so hope we can do better this time - why am I not holding my breath ? ?

Just completed the form.
Heres hoping considerably more folks respond this time and express their views.
Me. I would like some sort of a long weekend type pass for the Medway.
Want stay for 2 nights ? ............. its cheaper to get a weeks pass. :(:(:(

Last edited:

Mushroom2

Visit site
Nothing changes for the better.
This week for us Monday Shiplake to Beale Park - 5 locks with 2 manned.
Return Tuesday 5 locks - none manned! Even Caversham, although at 1410 it may have been late back from lunch.

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
Nothing changes for the better.
This week for us Monday Shiplake to Beale Park - 5 locks with 2 manned.
Return Tuesday 5 locks - none manned! Even Caversham, although at 1410 it may have been late back from lunch.
First batch of long awaited new life jackets arrived earlier this week so volunteers are now being issued with their own personal lifejackets. 100 this week and another 100 expected next week.
This means there will be no need for the previous quarantining of jackets between users and we will hopefully see many more volunteers now returning lockside, not only assisting but also providing cover during lunch and other essential LWK breaks.
However, I have no precise figures but do know that Covid sickness amongst lock staff and associated “pinging” of their colleagues is currently seriously affecting full time staff manning with a significant increase in dual siting.
Expect to find many locks on Self Service and do what you can to assist, particularly by helping the many holiday makers and new boaters.
With school holidays just starting the next few weeks the river will likely be busier and safety is a major issue. Take Care!

Northern Star

Visit site
We just did our summer cruise from Penton Hook to Marlow and the river wasn't too busy most of the time with virtually all the locks crewed with EA staff.

Bray seems to be the main one without staff both ways that may cause problems as it is so small and needs someone to keep the boats flowing through.

Lots of Le Boat and Kris cruiser boats around and the influx of narrow boats from downstream was just starting to happen this week but some moorings very quiet.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
I've been Henley to Lechlade over the last week. Nice and quiet up the top as always, quite a lot of lock keepers about as well.

I did overhear one of the district reliefs who does Sonning to Hambleden on the phone that he had been pinged so had to isolate for ten days. That was last week so that's definitely one regular keeper out of the picture. There will be others.

The River is lovely. Just planning to beard the lion of a trip right down to Teddington. That will be a bit different to the upper reaches !!

Nice to have variety that's what so good about the River. Variety. I lived and travelled for a long time on the canals but nothing beats the Thames.