EA Licence Fee increases

pheran

Visit site
I think your tag line says it all, Tony ie "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." - in this case the Environment Agency. It seems to be an almost deliberate policy to force private cruiser owners off the river. The powers that be have been quoted as saying ' yes, we expect to lose some boats but the increased fees (from those that remain)are expected to generate increased revenue in excess of £1 million' Well, I hope they are right but increased fees and reduced facilities are hardly the best combination.

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
[ QUOTE ]
IThe powers that be have been quoted as saying ' yes, we expect to lose some boats but the increased fees (from those that remain)are expected to generate increased revenue in excess of £1 million'

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, maybe we need to get some more specific information on these issues?

I seem to remember being told by someone 'in the know'that there are around 9,000 cruisers licensed on the Thames. Lets say their average licence fee is £300. So 9,000 x 300 x 14% = £378k .....seems a long way short of £1 million.....or is that in total for the three years?

Unpowered craft...rowing boats etc only pay a flat fee of around £22 so they dont contribute much.

Whilst we are on the subject of licence fees, at a time when we are faced with such a swingeing increase it seems bizarre that the EA should offer a 33% discount on 30 day visitors licences for the IWA Festival /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

pheran

Visit site
On the basis of those figures, it must be the three year total. Sorry I can't be more specific but the quote came from an Envag letter that was shoved under my nose when I rolled up at the ATYC Rally last weekend. It seems many of the Thames boat clubs are organising campaigns and encouraging their members to write to both EA and their local MP. Apparently Theresa May and at least two others with local constituencies are taking an interest and lending support. More power to their elbow!!

Andrew_Fanner

Visit site
Didn't MBM produce something from an economist showing that the net result of fee increases and boaters leaving due to fee increases was a net reduction in income? That needs highlighting if my memory is correct.

I think we could do worse than provide EA with alternate proposals or quid pro quo demands. My suggestions are:

Increase the size of Boveney and Bray locks by at least 20% with increased waiting pontoons to match
Increase the size of the downstream waiitng area for Molesey by 50m of length, thus reducing the scrum that forms between the lock and bridge.
Dredge all official EA moorings annually to 1.5m or the local mean depth if less.
Remove the licence fee for all tenders with a currently licenced parent craft and clearly marked as such.
Add sewage disposal to popular mooring sites such as Windsor, Runneymeade, Teddington etc
Make it illegal to charge for mooring where there is less than 1m of water bankside.

Well, some of their proposals are silly too:)

lyc

Visit site
Just come accross this press release that may be of value to you.
UK. Royal Yachting Association calls for action over cuts to waterway funding

The RYA is urging all boaters that may be affected by the cuts in BW funding to join it’s lobbying campaign and write to the Rt Hon David Miliband MP. Boaters should include what effect the cuts will have on their boating activities as well as their waterside communities and to urge Defra to reinstate BW’s funding. Copies should also be sent to local MPs.

David Miliband can be contacted at:
Rt Hon David Miliband MP
Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs
Nobel House
17 Smith Square
London
SW1P 3JR
david.miliband@defra.gsi.gov.uk

In addition, any boater who is concerned about the EA’s approach and attitude to its registration fee increases should write to the EA Chairman, Sir John Harman.
Sir John Harman can be contacted at:
Chairman’s Office
Environment Agency
Millbank Tower
25th Floor
21-24 Millbank
London
SWIP 4XL

Opsguy1979

Visit site
Currently based on the river Ouse so sure this will effect us aswell.

The thing that annoys me is that we all pay this fee to keep the upkeep of the rivers but after going out the a while back id love to see where this upkeep is!

The river is filled with weed and hasnt been dredged in god knows how long then going up stream at 2 points trees over growing the river but 2 very big scratchs on my roof!

Just so happened that on the way back that I bumped into a EA inspecter reported this and sure enough 2 months later still nothing has been done.

On the other hand on my pontoon next to me the EA have just upgraded their old boat for a very flash new one....

So they dont care if they lose a few boaters well maybe come renewal time we should all get together and not pay see if that wakes them up.....

byron

RIP
Visit site
Tony! Don't be a meanie. They need the extra money so they can give free licences to officials of the IWA and discounted 'gold' licences to Narrowboaters.

SimonA

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Currently based on the river Ouse so sure this will effect us aswell.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe the increases will also apply to those of us on the River Gt Ouse.

I'm in Buckden marina and the whole area of river in front of the marina up to the lock is very weedy. As is the section through St Ives.

I'm sure increased licences prices will not stop those with expensive boats from using the rivers. But at the other end a lot of people have a more modest budget and are already spending £1500 upwards on mooring and river licence for the year (which is often more than 10% of the purchase value of the boat). That's before you factor in the cost of fuel, repairs, crane in and out, insurance and all the other essential costs.