EA ditching District Enforcement

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
I remember the days when TWA/NRA / EA launches were out all the time and quite often the inspectors on board would hassle people who were moored up.

Back in the 80s we had river police launches with the Perkins T6354 whistlers going up and down keeping an eye on our garden at Hampton Wick on a daily basis ! Now they just launch inflatables.

It's been a long time since this routine patrolling happened on a regular basis and the type of people existing aboard boats has changed over the years so it could be quite a nasty job now but it would definitely be good to see patrol boats out more.

Apart from Henley where there were 6 and this evening at Tilehurst there were two EA boats for the temporary bridge installation (which I managed to get past with one minute to spare !) there have been next to no patrol boats out.

3rd party activities only as far as I can see.

A shame because apart from anything else they have some really cool boats !

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
Whilst I am sorry that we are, once again, in a state of confusion re moorings management, I am pleased that the combined efforts of river user groups and the boating organisations have resulted in the contract being terminated. I hope the EA will now pay greater attention to the views and suggestions of the boating organisations so that we can work cooperatively to develop a suitable way forward.

The Glassman

Visit site
Whilst I am sorry that we are, once again, in a state of confusion re moorings management, I am pleased that the combined efforts of river user groups and the boating organisations have resulted in the contract being terminated. I hope the EA will now pay greater attention to the views and suggestions of the boating organisations so that we can work cooperatively to develop a suitable way forward.
Meanwhile, in the real world, proper businesses and organisations - who depend on their customers continuing support through difficult times pay attention to each and every aspect of meeting customer expectations. As the recent Covid situation has, those that do this, succeed. The others go to the wall - and good riddance generally speaking. Unfortunately, the self-serving, virtue-signalling outfits who knowthat they hold a captive customer base don't need to bother. And it really shows.....

Time Out

Visit site
I remember the days when TWA/NRA / EA launches were out all the time and quite often the inspectors on board would hassle people who were moored up.

Back in the 80s we had river police launches with the Perkins T6354 whistlers going up and down keeping an eye on our garden at Hampton Wick on a daily basis ! Now they just launch inflatables.

It's been a long time since this routine patrolling happened on a regular basis and the type of people existing aboard boats has changed over the years so it could be quite a nasty job now but it would definitely be good to see patrol boats out more.

Apart from Henley where there were 6 and this evening at Tilehurst there were two EA boats for the temporary bridge installation (which I managed to get past with one minute to spare !) there have been next to no patrol boats out.

3rd party activities only as far as I can see.

A shame because apart from anything else they have some really cool boats !

Sadly the police don’t launch inflatables or even the bigger launch at Tedd. They just rely on the charity that is the Teddington RNLI for just about everything and anything nowadays!

ianc1200

Visit site
Am I right in thinking that a complaint from the "National Bargee Travellers Association" has led to the contract being retendered? Surely this just means more wasted time and money by the EA, effectively to the detriment of "normal" Thames boaters, so liveaboards can hog the moorings without moving? So less money to spend on lock gate collars, and less chance to moor up at Sonning/Goring etc?

Mushroom2

Visit site
Am I right in thinking that a complaint from the "National Bargee Travellers Association" has led to the contract being retendered? Surely this just means more wasted time and money by the EA, effectively to the detriment of "normal" Thames boaters, so liveaboards can hog the moorings without moving? So less money to spend on lock gate collars, and less chance to moor up at Sonning/Goring etc?
My thoughts exactly.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
I thought it was NBTA but @boatone said in his post above that it was combined efforts by user groups.

Maybe the NBTA are just good at claiming victory even if it isn't technically their victory. From their website it did appear that they had requested DE were dropped and they were dropped but perhaps not that simple.

Scapegoat

Visit site
It’s interesting that Spelthorne moorings seem to have a good turnover. They have clear signage- 24 hours in 48 - but I haven’t noticed any patrols. Staines was pretty empty today, ditto LLL and there were spaces upstream of Shepperton Lock. All in all the river seemed very quiet between Old Windsor and Walton. All locks were manned too and no queues. Strange for mid- August

Time Out

Visit site
That RNLI base was put in after the Marchioness sinking which was 32 years ago today.

Well spotted. It’s a shame that it’s not used solely for life saving. More for rescuing people ‘trapped’ by the tide on the tow path or just doing all the other police work that they can’t be bothered to do.

It’s a charity that often sees its valuable donations used for pointless rescues. I’m talking Tedd only.

It’s literally a crime watching the amount of wasted launches they undertake.

I used to live above it too !