Dutch gaff sail design

dewshi

Visit site
You need to secure the clew eye down to the boom with a rope strop That way it will stop the boom dropping down and get the angle of the foot along the boom line correct .

@wilkinsonsails Got it! Thx. See pics...

I think the bunches in the sail at the clew are because it's old. They are there even when the sail is laid out on the ground.

Also I've now scrapped the throat halyard cable winch, and put both throat and peak on 2:1 purchase blocks, so they operate in tandem AND I can get decent tension in the peak.

I've tweaked the bridle too. Got rid of the knots as @AntarcticPilot advised (actually not needed). Mainsail is looking A LOT better.

BUT I have a question about lacing the head to the gaff: curiously, the curve of the sail doesn't fit the groove cut into the side of the gaff boom that snugly. The first eye needs to be a little loose, otherwise it pleats like a curtain in that corner. I hope I've laced the eye just below the throat to the attachment point on the gaff boom correctly? I assume this is taking the main tension down the luff. Comments welcome :)

IMG_4885.JPGIMG_4929.JPGIMG_4909.JPGIMG_4930.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4930.JPG
    IMG_4930.JPG
    518.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4909.JPG
    IMG_4909.JPG
    462.8 KB · Views: 3

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
Could the boom not be kept fully up while easing the outhaul by either a strop or hoop around the boom and attached to the outhaul adjacent to the clew
You need to secure the clew eye down to the boom with a rope strop That way it will stop the boom dropping down and get the angle of the foot along the boom line correct .
@wilkinsonsails Got it! Thx. See pics...

I've been Lakesailored! :oops: