Durdle Door again!

jimi

Visit site
200ft is a bit of an exaggeration. I've climbed some of the routes there and from memory the most direct route from inside the arch to the top is about 80ft. You'd definitely want to pick your landing spot well, though, if jumping off.

Dipper

Visit site
200ft is a bit of an exaggeration. I've climbed some of the routes there and from memory the most direct route from inside the arch to the top is about 80ft. You'd definitely want to pick your landing spot well, though, if jumping off.
I think Durdle Door refers to the entire structure not just the arch. I have to agree that the arch itself seems significantly less than 200ft high. Nevertheless, the maximum height used in the Red Bull Cliff Diving Series is 27 metres and the divers are professionals with safety backup in the water so it's surprising that the idiots jumping off the top of the arch don't kill themselves.

jimi

Visit site
I do feature in a film from about 25 years ago of some daft escapades in Dorset, including a guy cycling at speed on a mountain bike off the top of a Swanage cliff ;-) (not me!!) although that cliff was only 70ft high.

Found the trailer showing the bike!

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: dom

Supine Being

Visit site
Of course, it goes without saying that anyone with an above-average appetite for risk is an idiot. Like those idiots who went to the Moon. Or are only hazardous activities endorsed by Sun journalists deemed acceptable?

Risk is ok, as long as you're able to mitigate it somehow. If you're the sort that thinks drinking a two litre bottle of Diamond White before leaping is mitigation enough, then have at it! :ROFLMAO:

DownWest

Visit site
The blokes who went to the moon all came back. So some sort of risk assessment seems to be in place. Shuttle, less so...cold 'O' rings not taken into account.
Jumping off cliffs/mounts does have a slightly worse record. From the the early parachutists and flapping wing exponents somewhat dire records. Allways wondered why trying it off a hill or slight incline, rather than hundreds of feet up, was not the prefered option. 'Spose it looked as if you lacked confidence in your contraption.
The Wrights worked long and hard to get to stay up (and survive)
People now just want the glory., without the work.

grumpy_o_g

Visit site
Of course, it goes without saying that anyone with an above-average appetite for risk is an idiot. Like those idiots who went to the Moon. Or are only hazardous activities endorsed by Sun journalists deemed acceptable?

Risk-reward ratio in going to the moon can be justified by many people - I'd take those risks happily and I'm a risk-averse risk manager. The risk-reward ratio in jumping off the top of a very tall rock into unknown waters can't be explained by very many people at all, never mind justified (unless alcohol or immaturity is involved). In addition those going to the moon were actually highly risk-averse in the same way that many test pilots are. They don't want to take any risks they don't have to, but they accept some are necessary to achieve the aim - they want to understand what those risks are and that everything viale to mitigate them has been done. When the very aim itself seems to be simply to get a rush from taking a risk that becomes rather tricky.

Or to put it another way there's really no valid comparison between the two...

Dipper

Visit site
I do feature in a film from about 25 years ago of some daft escapades in Dorset, including a guy cycling at speed on a mountain bike off the top of a Swanage cliff ;-) (not me!!) although that cliff was only 70ft high.

What's that large object behind the windsurfer? It almost looks like a submarine.