Duplicated ship names

MapisM

Visit site
Re: "Britannia", for instance!

Hmmm... I had a look at the <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.itu.int/cgi-bin/htsh/mars/ship_search.sh> ITU site</A>.
It reports 5 plain "Britannia", plus 9 "Britannia ...something" - all registered in the UK.
That's also confusing with respect to some previous posts in this thread.
Maybe the issue of duplicated ship names is better handled on paper than in the real world!

<hr width=100% size=1>

MainlySteam

Visit site
Re: \"Britannia\", for instance!

As others have said, vessels do not have to be on a Register of Ships to have a radio callsign and be in the MARS database, so there may be many vessels in the database from the same nation all having the same name.

If you look again at the MARS site you will see that only one of the "Britannias" against the nation G is a registered ship (its registration number is given against the ID field) - it is a merchant ship and it will be, of course, the one that Mirelle referred to.

All the others are small workboats, a pleasure vessel and a platform (look at the vessel class field) none of which are on the Register of Ships (and one assumes are not required to be so). For the case you gave there is therefore no duplication of name on the Register, and it would be most unusual if there were to have been.

John

<hr width=100% size=1><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by MainlySteam on 23/09/2003 05:40 (server time).</FONT></P>

MapisM

Visit site

Good point.
I was aware of the register of ships thing, but did not check when looking at the database.
I'm just now realizing the hour of my previous post...
...maybe I should have slept by then, rather than browsing the internet!

<hr width=100% size=1>

MainlySteam

Visit site

I had noticed the time on your post Mario - didn't know if you were very late getting to bed or very early getting up!

John

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

The ships name is not the decider ...... it is the Regsitry number that is unique.

<hr width=100% size=1>Nigel ...
Bilge Keelers get up further ! I came - cos they said was FREE Guinness !
/forums/images/icons/cool.gif

G

As far as I have read and believe ....... the only requirement regards to a Ship / Boat name is :

That it should not be offensive, should not embarrass etc.

I have not read anywhere that states a name cannot be used by another .......... if that were true - bilmey there are a lot of illegal boat / ship names out there !! SSR don't care - otherwise you wouldn't see so many repeated names .......

When we do a Condition survey on a Commercial ship - we have to quote its Registry Number as well to clearly identify it ...... I think that says it all ????

<hr width=100% size=1>Nigel ...
Bilge Keelers get up further ! I came - cos they said was FREE Guinness !
/forums/images/icons/cool.gif

graham

Visit site
There used to be hundreds of "Sormovskis" knocking about.

It wouldnt be unusual for say Sormovsky 101 to be bound for Newport and Sormovsky 98 bound for Avonmouth.Both trying to take Pilots at the same pilot station at the same time.(On occasions both ships happily answering to either name)

I once put a pilot on the"Nor" who was waiting for a pilot to a South Wales Port when the "Ner" (the correct ship bound for Avonmouth )was still happily out of VHF range.

All makes for a bit of fun on an otherwise dull watch.......

anchorhandler

Visit site
Re: "Britannia", for instance!

On the subject of potentialy embarasing names. Just the other day, i steered clear of what looked like a 200k tonne (ish!) offtake tanker arriving at its berth at Fawley on the Solent, Of perticular intrest was the vessels name of 'Uranus' boldly painted on the bow!. Needless to say the vhf communication was a touch less monotone..."Soutampton VTS,...er, this is 'Uranus'" etc.etc.etc..

<hr width=100% size=1>

kliever

Visit site
Ships are issued with a number at build,this number originally the LR number and now perhaps more correctly the IMO number stays with the ship for its life.
Thus if you look at a register of ships this number is the only unique identifier, call signs MMSI etc. depend on flag.
regards
John R

<hr width=100% size=1>