Duoprop versus single prop sterndrive

chortle

Visit site
Hi there

Am looking at some boats next week (c. 23 ft cruiser and others). For those that have sterndrives, some have duoprops and others a single prop. Is there really a huge advantage here (ie is it an important factor in making a choice between boats) in terms of efficiency /handling at low speeds e.g berthing?

I understand that it should eliminate prop walk but wondering if there are any downsides on the duoprop.

Best regards

Coustea1

Visit site
Hi there

Am looking at some boats next week (c. 23 ft cruiser and others). For those that have sterndrives, some have duoprops and others a single prop. Is there really a huge advantage here (ie is it an important factor in making a choice between boats) in terms of efficiency /handling at low speeds e.g berthing?

I understand that it should eliminate prop walk but wondering if there are any downsides on the duoprop.

Best regards
I will reduce prop walk, but doesn't eliminate it on a single engine boat. The positive of a duoprop is that it has more grip. The negative would be if you ding it, it's more expensive than an single prop to repare or replace.

chortle

Visit site
Thanks - that is what I figured. I think I can live with that and doesn't sound worth fretting about too much for the light use we are planning. I get the point on two props - both would need to be maintained and potentially replaced...

stelican

Visit site
Hi there

Best regards
Downside to duo is you don't get the advantage of prop walk when close quarters but on the other hand a single prop at river speed does induce a wandering effect to the steering.
Duo prop more fuel efficient puts boat onto plan quicker and great fun in fast tight turns as the props do not loose grip on water.

julians

Visit site
If your drive destroys itself a duoprop will be more expensive to repair than a single prop, plus there are more seals with the potential to fail and let in water in a duoprop.

The positives to a duoprop are as per the posts above.

Greg2

Visit site
As already said, no prop-walk with duo-props but worth saying there isn’t a downside in handling because an outdrive gives directional thrust in any case. Far more helpful than prop-walk on a single engine. To my mind no real downside worth worrying about with maintenance either. Duo would be my choice.

[2068]

Visit site
A single prop works fine on a lighter, smaller, faster boat.

DuoProp has no real downsides other than expense, and has the advantage of having more grip on the water, especially at low to moderate speeds.
I found driving a DuoProp easier in the Marina, plus it accelerates better.

Reality61

Visit site
Agree on duo prop posts and remember add in the fuel efficiency as well. The older boats were all single props (Costs) there are not many made these days most have a bravo three drive leg or volvo Duo prop leg.

STEVEDUNSTABLE

sites.google.com
Just for reference, my S24 with kad 32 n duo prop will cruise directly to the Planet Saturn BEFORE it goes in a straight line at anything below 5/6 knots BUT once you get the hang of it, its not to much of a prob but it can get a bit tiresome from the Hamble entrance up to swanwick !!