Duck Boats may be back....

Portland Billy

Visit site
Surely a landing craft style would be more useful with a ramp on each bank.
I'm sure this wouldn't take much to initiate. I've done several in the Middle East and West Africa - far more challenging!

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
One would have to take into account the water displacement caused by the bridge falling in the River.

Think tidal wave but smaller. But still quite big if you are in a well ballasted road vehicle.

There seems to be slipways both sides but bearing in mind that the bridge is at risk of collapsing at any moment (unlike the current government) would it really be worth risking school childrens lives ?

And that's not even mentioning the Liverpool docks sinking !
You might even get narrow boats with propeller spinning with people in the water.

You don't want that. Water churned up by boat propellers is rather difficult to float in..

If they do a ferry it's got to be a proper one..

Amphibious is interesting but not for transfer use.

Knock the bridge down ?

Knock the bridge down !

Portland Billy

Visit site
Surely any ferry service would have to be a reasonable distance from the bridge to give time for remedial action in event of breakdown with a strong running tide!

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Maybe a chain ferry ?

Obviously the tide situation is a bit complicated but something like that one on the River Fal might be feasible I would have thought..

King Harry Ferry - Wikipedia

It seems to load and unload from fairly rudimentary concrete slipways.

I'm not sure if pedestrians are carried or just vehicles.
Discharging pedestrians onto a slipway is probably not allowed under elfin safety so in reality it would need a floating pontoon and a link span.

Old Crusty

Visit site
1602500385064.png
Here's another, the lower ferry, Dartmouth, it takes vehicles and foot passengers. It works fine till ebb on springs after heavy rain or engine failure and then it has to be rescued by the college (I've already ticked that box) or it ends up in Start Bay, seen top right in the photo.

Chris_d

Visit site
I don't know about the tideway but they are currently being used at Windsor.

None of these ideas help boaters much though, there are other bridges not a million miles away, Putney, Barnes, Chiswick but no alternative for river traffic :(

oldgit

Visit site
Cheaper to widen and dredge the canals from Limehouse to Brent Dock and bypass the bridge.
Regents Canal-Paddington Arm, Grand Union.
Always fancied getting Gold licence and doing the canals in me flybridge, might need to raise bridge or two ?

Last edited: