Drying out in Barry Old Harbour

Dutch01527

Visit site
I need to scrub off the bottom on my Dehler which has a long fin keel and berthing legs so can dry out. There is a delay in being able to get a it hauled out at my yacht club.

I was considering drying out over a tide somewhere near Cardiff. Penarth beach near the pier was my preferred option but I then thought about Barry Old Harbour. I have never been there but the charts, satellite images and photos look promising.

Possibly near the end of the breakwater on the east side which seems to have simple high water access, a flat sandy bottom and a good wall.

Could anyone with local knowledge advise if this is a good plan? Anything to be wary of?

Last edited:

1937rogerdon

Visit site
The wall is occupied by two fishing boats,been their for several months.
why not contact Barry Yacht club and come out on their trolley. A great facility with electric and pressure washer available.

Dutch01527

Visit site
Thanks, I saw the blue and red fishing boats on pictures but there looked to be plenty of room a bit inshore of them, is that not so?

I was unaware of the Barry Yacht Club trolly, do they hire it out to non members?

1937rogerdon

Visit site
There maybe room ahead of them, best to drive down and walk out to the breakwater for a close watch ,but beware of being neaped , not very much water in the harbour these days.
BYC often have members from clubs around the channel using the facilities , drop an EMail to the club and they will but you in touch with the Shore Master . Details of draft would help.

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
The wall is occupied by two fishing boats,been their for several months.
why not contact Barry Yacht club and come out on their trolley. A great facility with electric and pressure washer available.

+1 BUT!

The Vale of Glamorgan is currently locked down so no access at the moment. The trolley is a very civilised method of leaving the water and cheap too.

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
Dried out twice there, dropping down from Portishead so could not get anywhere near the mole. Remember if you dry on the beach to try and dry out astern so your main anchor can be set well to seaward after the water goes away and you power elegantly off the beach not try and erratically go astern as I did first time.. We were only going for an ice cream between tides. Firm sand so legs should be fine

jason80369

Visit site
Hello all

Fancy drying out over at Barry old harbour later on in the year just to have a look underneath the boat to check out prop, growth,anode. No plans for any major work so no need to or want to pay for a lift out . I've walked the ground over by watch house bay side and looks lovely and clean, with what looks like some protection from westerly/south westerly winds with the headland. Any advice or guidance on beaching her here would be most welcome. I have a hunter horizon bilge keel, and I'm an hour way moored in Cardiff bay.

Thanks jason

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
Hi Jason no real issues. At half tide one can get nearly to the mole which will give you about 4 hours after the keel completely dries.

Best to go in astern or put main anchor astern from stern fixings. I got it wrong first time in my eagerness going in forwards and forgot the bit of bluster round the shallow headland and tried to sort things by simply dragging my main anchor round by foot. Thus afor some while boat bounced sideways before both keels lifted enough to motor across and out. Alright it was only maybe 2 minutes or less, but I would have done better to move anchor fixing to stern to make life easier in that wind.

If you go much further in there is a bit of a bar by the mole and it shallows rapidly beyond so make sure you dont go in too early on the tide and get so far you get neaped in your desire to have longer to inspect the bottom as you dont want 2 weeks

jason80369

Visit site
Ah many thanks that's great stuff. I'll walk beach at low tide again and mark the right side of the bar on my plotter so I don't go in too far. I've got a spare smaller anchor and rode I can use from the stern to assist with getting off.

Thanks again Jason

Allan

Visit site
Jason,
Like many others I'd be interested to hear how it goes.
Also, I'd be interested to hear if any work has been done on the old coastguard tower. I was outbid at an auction a few years ago and would like to see what's been done.
Allan

jason80369

Visit site
Hi Allan,
No problem. I'm probably going to try with a friend and do this over a suitable tide in about march , so will let all know how it went. It'll be good to have a good drying out spot close to Cardiff so hopefully will go to plan

Regards Jason

graham

Visit site
Theres a smooth sandy area by the quay wall in the old harbour .

I dry my boat out on penarth beach a couple of times a year. Easier than going down to Barry. Provided the wind is SW W or NW and not fresh.

More flexible with the tides at penarth .You need a spring tide to get into Barry old harbour Penarth beach can be used anyday.

Attachments

• IMG_20200608_145625.jpg
    IMG_20200608_145625.jpg
    650.5 KB · Views: 37

jason80369

Visit site
I live in penarth so that looks like just down from the slipway? Out of interest what state of the ebb do you beach her? Looks like another option!

graham

Visit site
That spot was between the pier and the slip closer to the slip.

Unless I need more time I dry out about 2 hours before LW There is some mud in places I take a couple of buckets and fill with seawater before the tide runs away for washing wellies.

Someone above mentioned not getting neaped in Barry old Harbour that is absolutely crucial.I would not want to leave my boat unattended there .Theft and vandalism has occured in the past.

jason80369

Visit site
Graham, many thanks for the info, some great options and suggestions for me there and from others. I'll update the forum once I've beached here.

Regards jason