Draper 51754 Expert 5w CREE LED Waterproof Torch

donm

Visit site
I bought one of these following a good review in PBO and it has been very good but has nor survived a recent encounter with my grand daughter! I've taken it apart but can only get it to work again sporadically and am completely mystified by the switch as it is external to the torch body and battery holder so does not have any direct contact and seems to act remotely?
Has anyone had experience of this ?

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
Looking at the photos of it, I’d say it’s a magnetic reed switch: the knob moves a magnet which pulls two bits of metal together to make turn the torch on. Common way of waterproofing a switch mechanism. It may well be that the granddaughter’s treatment has knocked the magnet out of alignment. You could test it by getting a strong magnet a bringing it close to the switch. If that works, then you might be able to replace the magnet and get it working again.

donm

Visit site
Looking at the photos of it, I’d say it’s a magnetic reed switch: the knob moves a magnet which pulls two bits of metal together to make turn the torch on. Common way of waterproofing a switch mechanism. It may well be that the granddaughter’s treatment has knocked the magnet out of alignment. You could test it by getting a strong magnet a bringing it close to the switch. If that works, then you might be able to replace the magnet and get it working again.

Brilliant - that makes sense now. I’ll do as you suggest
Thanks very much

Bilgediver

Visit site
Note this comment on Amazon .. It might not be your fault :)

• IMPORTANT: There is an ongoing soldering issue that prevents a small percentage of spotlights from working properly. We have managed to reduce the rate of these faulty units considerably, but not yet completely. We feel very bad about it and are actively working on solutions. If you receive a defective product, contact us and we will immediately send you a replacement unit for free. No return required.
See more product details

donm

Visit site

Thanks again. I've never seen that switching arrangement before.
Magnet is fine, so I dismantled the rest to find that water was in the workings (kids like water) so a good dry out and some careful use of wire wool produced a happy ending!

Allergy

Live in East London, UK. Boat in Portsmouth Harbou
Visit site
I bought one of these following a good review in PBO and it has been very good but has nor survived a recent encounter with my grand daughter! I've taken it apart but can only get it to work again sporadically and am completely mystified by the switch as it is external to the torch body and battery holder so does not have any direct contact and seems to act remotely?
Has anyone had experience of this ?
In future, lock torch away from grand daughter-problem solved (y) :ROFLMAO: