Dover Marina delayed again

bluerm166

Visit site
Not clear why Dover should accept this dreadful scheme for the land above the marina.
As a temporary building site office cabin layout it would have some merit but lacks the quality demanded for a permanent scheme.

Last edited:

johnalison

Visit site
Bringing my eighty odd years of ignorance of hydrology to bear, I would think that the simplest and cheapest remedy would be to extend the pier round towards the beach, making craft do a long S-bend in or out but using the beach as a wave break. As for the portacabins, they will look makeshift at best, and pretty seedy after a few years.

Biggles Wader

Visit site
Is seems they designed the marina entrance to stop swell from the Eastern entrance to the main harbour but failed to account for the swell from the Western entrance which bounces off the ferry port and beach. This then travels straight into the new marina. The new baffle is clearly not enough to stop it. Perhaps they need to build in a full dogs leg instead.

Daydream believer

Visit site
They should have put the lock gates right at the entrance with the harbour office next to it. Then the entire marina would have had more room & been wave free. Seems silly to have the lock half way in. It works for other marinas with similar vessel movements , so surely it could have worked here. Or were they worried about waiting craft obstructing ships?

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
They should have put the lock gates right at the entrance with the harbour office next to it. Then the entire marina would have had more room & been wave free. Seems silly to have the lock half way in. It works for other marinas with similar vessel movements , so surely it could have worked here. Or were they worried about waiting craft obstructing ships?

A reasonable concern, IMHO.

Biggles Wader

Visit site
The whole project was based on the new marina being full 24 hour access so no lock was acceptable. The original plan had a single gate into the old Wellington dock but that was changed during construction to give a full lock in facility but it only operates a couple of times a tide outside the free flow period. They need to have a tariff for 24 hour access to justify the cost of the scheme which must be huge, and they need to "sell" the new marina to their existing berth holders who are probably quite happy with the old marina. The current tidal basin gives full 24 hour access and is very secluded and sheltered but the new marina is a bit of a goldfish bowl and a bit exposed to the elements. Not sure Id want to move.

Habebty

Visit site
The whole project was based on the new marina being full 24 hour access so no lock was acceptable. The original plan had a single gate into the old Wellington dock but that was changed during construction to give a full lock in facility but it only operates a couple of times a tide outside the free flow period. They need to have a tariff for 24 hour access to justify the cost of the scheme which must be huge, and they need to "sell" the new marina to their existing berth holders who are probably quite happy with the old marina. The current tidal basin gives full 24 hour access and is very secluded and sheltered but the new marina is a bit of a goldfish bowl and a bit exposed to the elements. Not sure Id want to move.
I think they'll have to move when it (tidal basin and Granville) gets filled in for the new lorry park

Marmalade

Visit site
If you draw a straight line from thee entrance it hits the exact spot where the ferries power up to leave the docks - add that to any natural swell and it's unsurprising that the outer berths are untenable

johnalison

Visit site
Dover is pretty indispensible for anyone going west in day sails, otherwise the only easy option is Ramsgate-Eastbourne. The old tidal basin and Granville, plus 24-hr fuel, made it useful if not always salubrious. I would have no objection to the new marina but it's a rough old bit of sea with a tendency to funnel the wind, and the least I expect to pay for is a decent night's rest.

Gargleblaster

Visit site
Dover is pretty indispensible for anyone going west in day sails, otherwise the only easy option is Ramsgate-Eastbourne. The old tidal basin and Granville, plus 24-hr fuel, made it useful if not always salubrious. I would have no objection to the new marina but it's a rough old bit of sea with a tendency to funnel the wind, and the least I expect to pay for is a decent night's rest.
Unless you like anchoring. Lots of good places to anchor between North Foreland and Beachy Head and beyond. Some of my favourites are off Deal (The Downs in wooden RN ships). East of Dungeness. Either side of Rye fairway and perhaps not quite as comfortable off Eastbourne itself.