Double-ended main sheets?

Sybarite

Visit site
Anybody use them and how do they compare with a normal traveller arrangement?

(I have been looking at some boats which have them.)

dt4134

Visit site
Anybody use them and how do they compare with a normal traveller arrangement?

(I have been looking at some boats which have them.)

What do you mean by double-ended?

You can splice the mainsheet to make it continuous, which is often done on boats using the German system with two winches.

Alternatively there are systems where both ends come into a jammer. You pull one end for a 6:1 or 8:1 ratio when trimming or both ends together for half that ratio, when you want the main in quickly, such as for gybing. I've only seen these on X-Yachts, but that's probably just coincidental.

Sybarite

Visit site
What do you mean by double-ended?

You can splice the mainsheet to make it continuous, which is often done on boats using the German system with two winches.

Alternatively there are systems where both ends come into a jammer. You pull one end for a 6:1 or 8:1 ratio when trimming or both ends together for half that ratio, when you want the main in quickly, such as for gybing. I've only seen these on X-Yachts, but that's probably just coincidental.

I'm thinking of the second option and what bearing it has on adjusting the main, sail shape, performance etc.

dt4134

Visit site
If we're thinking of exactly the same thing then the only difference between it and a 'normal' mainsheet is the option of using a bit of grunt to pull the boom in quickly for a gybe. Everything else is normal. You can still move the car on the traveller and can still trim the main using the normal ratios.

Ex-SolentBoy

Visit site
Double ended main sheet and traveller. Just greedy really.

4fe3ae11cef3b7e52bd2adc848f2796c_zpsf19879b5.jpg

j24jam

Visit site
Hanse use this system of two blocks and no traveller....it works ok. But you will never have the flexibility a traveller gives you.

snowleopard

Visit site
I have used a double-ended mainsheet and the biggest niggle is that you always seem to end up with all the slack at the wrong end. I currently have a double-ended main halyard and have to be careful not to end up with the slack at one end and the other with the stopper knot hard up against the clutch.

I have a twin mainsheet arrangement, one from each side of the cabin top. As I have a rigid boom there is no need to provide downforce through the sheet so I can use whichever sheet pulls at the best angle and no power is wasted pulling down. It also means that when gybing in heavy weather I can winch one side and ease the other keeping the boom under total control at all times.

Last edited:

dt4134

Visit site
I have used a double-ended mainsheet and the biggest niggle is that you always seem to end up with all the slack at the wrong end. I currently have a double-ended main halyard and have to be careful not to end up with the slack at one end and the other with the stopper knot hard up against the clutch.

You can avoid that problem by splicing the two ends together to make a continuous loop. You can see how to do the splice on the web (basically a crossover with the outer braid of both ends going inside the other). However you do want the splice done well so you don't have a weak link and you dont want any bulge in the line, so I'd recommend getting it done professionally.

It's done pretty regularly on racers with the German system where you'd use the winch on the windward side to trim in but would regularly ease via the winch on the leeward side and I've never seen any indication of weakness caused by the splice. In fact once it's been around the loop a bit it would be hard to find where the splice is.

Sorry Sybarite, we were talking about different things. I was talking about the system where both ends of the mainsheet come out alongside each other via jammers on the car that runs on the traveller.

What I think you're talking about is a very 'cruisey' system with a normal-ish middle-ish sheeted mainsheet with the blocks on either side of the coachroof. I chartered a boat like that once - a smallish Oceanis. I'm afraid it sailed like a dog anyway but I had no particular reason to blame the mainsheet for that.

Sybarite

Visit site
Thanks everybody.

What I take away is that it's rather for cruising and, though it may not be quite as efficient as a traveller system, there is no major handicap as long as you don't let all the sheet gather on one side.

jimi

Visit site
I sailed a boat with two mainsheets once.The sheets ran from blocka on either side of the coachroof, I thought it was woderful as it gave almost perfect control of boom position

RobbieW

Visit site
I sailed a boat with two mainsheets once.The sheets ran from blocka on either side of the coachroof, I thought it was woderful as it gave almost perfect control of boom position

Thats the arrangement I currently have and it does work very well, a little more faff than a track but no less adjustable. Each mainsheet has snap shackles at each end so either can easily be reversed for a MOB recovery system.