Dolphin return

nicholas49

Visit site
Dolphin(Nick and Andy) returned safely. Got to Scilly on July 15 after losing rudder 500 miles out on June 2, trip otherwise uneventful. Fitted new rudder in Scilly with aid of friends, and got back to mainland o.k. Met John Apps in Glayva in Plymouth. will be on south west coast till early sept, mobile no. is 07891 378418, Best Wishes and Good Sailing to all, Nick

CPD

Visit site
Nick and Andy, many many congratulations on what must have been an "interesting" trip. I am taking it you had (and now have) a transom hung rudder - how did you manage to rig up something to get to the Scillies ??.. However you did it, very well done.
Alan

Gargleblaster

Visit site
I believe Nick and Andy should receive the 'Die with Dignity' Award for not calling for assistance after losing their rudder when 600 miles out. Blondie's original idea was that single handed ocean racers should not even carry radios as otherwise they might be tempted to call for assistance when they had difficulties. He exhorted each of the original OSTAR entrants to 'die with dignity', or at least that is my understanding from reading Ewen Southby-Tailyour's book some years ago.

I think getting to the Scillies with no assistance is in the highest traditions of the Jester Challenge. Well done Nick and Andy.

And I really enjoyed the Fray Bentos pie at Carr Green, even if the Bud, the dog, did lick up all the gravy which after all is the best part. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif