Dogs on pontoons

dom

Visit site
Certainly!

No overnighting, meant day trips for many, so a good chance to take the muts to the seaside.

I think everyone enjoyed that side of it including our furry friends ?

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
I dunno how typical I am. I don't really like dogs, but they don't irritate or anything. So I mostly ignore them.

But I don't understand why owners leave dog crap laying about. And when some owners get all evangelical about spot the wonder dog, they don't seem to understand that not everyone likes dogs.

As for those small ones that do that noisy screamy yelpy thing, well, what can I say.......

38mess

Visit site
I dunno how typical I am. I don't really like dogs, but they don't irritate or anything. So I mostly ignore them.

But I don't understand why owners leave dog crap laying about. And when some owners get all evangelical about spot the wonder dog, they don't seem to understand that not everyone likes dogs.

As for those small ones that do that noisy screamy yelpy thing, well, what can I say.......
We have a small yappy dog living next door to us. We can't even open a window without starting it of barking for half an hour. The owners are taking it to lessons apparently to calm the mutt down. It's not working. Our 5 to boy makes a lot of noise playing football out the garden, perhaps they are paying us back ?

johnalison

Visit site
Our marina pontoons are a steel grid and hence not paw-friendly, so fouling at least is not an issue. Our neighbour has a small dog but it doesn’t give trouble. The main problem s that there is a cafe/restaurant at the car park and what would be a lovely area around the marina has become a dog-shitting area for locals, many of whom don’t even trouble themselves to patronise the restaurant. Over the years, I have only occasionally been bothered by dogs in boats, but it is frustrating when it happens.

D

Deleted member 36384

Definitely more at my marina this year, noticeable because dogs have not been common in the marina. No extra noise or hassle as far as I can tell but numbers are still very small.

Yngmar

Visit site
Couple on the pontoon, all friendly. One comes running off the passerelle to greet me every time I walk past, slightly to the annoyance of the owners, I think.

Around town you gotta be a bit more careful with the large stray dogs, some of which can be aggressive if caught at a bad moment. Either bribing them (couple cheap dog treats in the bag) or picking up a rock usually helps though. Best not to cycle past them though, unless you're very fast!

ashtead

Visit site
I don’t know if any more on pontoons as have been there relatively rarely recently but dog sales are on the up as are prices. Yapping dogs are equally as annoying as whining children and toddlers and mobo playing loud music late at night. It’s all a noise thing really but dogs do bark occasionally like children cry -it’s just the duration of such activity and what triggers the noise . No excuse for loud music though after midnight though .

Clancy Moped

Visit site
Couple on the pontoon, all friendly. One comes running off the passerelle to greet me every time I walk past, slightly to the annoyance of the owners, I think.

Around town you gotta be a bit more careful with the large stray dogs, some of which can be aggressive if caught at a bad moment. Either bribing them (couple cheap dog treats in the bag) or picking up a rock usually helps though. Best not to cycle past them though, unless you're very fast!

I'm going to take a guess, are you in Licata?

Yngmar

Visit site
I'm going to take a guess, are you in Licata?

Bingo, although also had to fend off an aggressive stray in Kalamata once. Luckily I happened to be carrying two stainless steel poles I'd just aquired, and waving them in front of the dogs nose while walking backwards caused it to keep respectful distance until we were out of its territory.

Clancy Moped

Visit site
Bingo, although also had to fend off an aggressive stray in Kalamata once. Luckily I happened to be carrying two stainless steel poles I'd just aquired, and waving them in front of the dogs nose while walking backwards caused it to keep respectful distance until we were out of its territory.
Do they still gather on the small roundabout just outside the marina? In Kalamata we came across wild Tortoise's no dogs.

Yngmar

Visit site
Do they still gather on the small roundabout just outside the marina? In Kalamata we came across wild Tortoise's no dogs.

Nope, that pack has relocated when the circus was in town. I think the dogs couldn't figure out how to deal with two elephants and a bunch of other exotic animals suddenly claiming their territory :ROFLMAO:

There was also a round of poisoning going on last(?) year, which is apparently how some locals deal with the problem from time to time. Recently a 10 year old local kid got bitten, so there might be another round of that.

Personally didn't have many problems and some of those strays are really nice dogs. I'd be happy to adopt one if we weren't living on a boat.

I did get bitten by an angry swan in Brighton once though!

Babylon

Visit site
Funny how these dog threads bring out the dog-lovers, the dog-haters, and the dog-don't-minds.

I'm in the former category and my own 20-month year old (who isn't a barker or an antisocial pooer while being extremely friendly and benign to all) has worked very hard to become as well-trained as he can be. Some dog owners are plain rubbish and many are just ignorant and/or lazy (vis the ten thousand poo-bags currently polluting the countryside), but its never the dog's fault.

Put simply, if a dog fouls on a pontoon then two or three bucket-loads of seawater is all that's needed.

ip485

Visit site
Funny how these dog threads bring out the dog-lovers, the dog-haters, and the dog-don't-minds.

I'm in the former category and my own 20-month year old (who isn't a barker or an antisocial pooer while being extremely friendly and benign to all) has worked very hard to become as well-trained as he can be. Some dog owners are plain rubbish and many are just ignorant and/or lazy (vis the ten thousand poo-bags currently polluting the countryside), but its never the dog's fault.

Put simply, if a dog fouls on a pontoon then two or three bucket-loads of seawater is all that's needed.

Wouldnt it be nice for a change if these type of threads brought out the tolerators as well. We each have likes and dislikes, but far better we respect we arent all the same, and it is this diversity that makes for the colour of life.

Can I put down a vote for tolerance?