Does this mean us then?

LimL

Visit site
Red diesel
While fuel costs and were largely left alone, the Chancellor did announce that he was ending tax relief on “red” diesel for most sectors, saying its users were “some of the biggest contributors to our air quality problem”.
The current system allows some businesses who operate “off-road” vehicles (such as construction firms) to pay far less duty than on regular diesel. From 2023 this rebate will be removed for most sectors, although agriculture, horticulture, pisciculture, forestry and rail will continue to be eligible for duty relief.

Mark26

Visit site
I’ve just been reading the official budget report on .gov, and I think it does include us as we are not one of the exempt groups listed. But no immediate panic, it doesn’t come in until April 2022

“The government will also remove the entitlement to use red diesel from April 2022, except in agriculture, fish farming, rail and for non-commercial heating (including domestic heating). By removing this tax relief on pollution, the government will encourage businesses and industry to improve the energy efficiency of their vehicles and machinery or look for greener alternatives.”

AuntyRinum

Visit site
The relief portion of our 60/40 is for the portion used for heating.
Does this not mean things will stay as they are?
Yes, it does. Although the percentage can be whatever you honestly declare. Maybe 10/90 if you never move and use most of it for heating. They may change the way the heating percentage is assessed.

TrueBlue

Visit site
What is more to the point is that the cost to boaters will rise significantly. Last time I looked, MDL were charging £1.36 per litre for 60/40 split, thus I guess the price will rise to £2 or more for 'white'.
It's not a profitable venture for sellers and indeed, yo may find some suppliers dropping out - and that could be a disaster

LimL

Visit site
I agree. I think this means that marina and similar operators will have to flush their tanks and then purchase and supply only road diesel.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
I agree. I think this means that marina and similar operators will have to flush their tanks and then purchase and supply only road diesel.
I wondered if it might be an opportunity for bunkering boats to sell red diesel to boaters and let the boaters decide what to do with it.

Obvious question being who is it that has responsibility for exactly how the product is burnt ? The user or the supplier ?

A lot of boats do have electricity supplied by the engines and diesel heaters .

Unless there was going to be random testing of propulsion fuel tanks it seems too complex for anything to change.

Boatyards have been gradually stopping selling diesel over the years anyway in some cases related to their storage tanks so that may well carry on happening.

It just looks like opportunities for more fuel boats but it's not that simple obviously.

I wonder how much a small scale seller can get DERV for? It seems unlikely it would be the same sort of bulk discount as Gasoil unless one were to buy very large quantities ie a large tanker.

oldgit

Visit site
What is more to the point is that the cost to boaters will rise significantly. Last time I looked, MDL were charging £1.36 per litre for 60/40 split, thus I guess the price will rise to £2 or more for 'white'.
It's not a profitable venture for sellers and indeed, yo may find some suppliers dropping out - and that could be a disaster

RCC are always looking for new members.Its the rather long mooring wait list that is the ointment around the fly.
Fuel is 91p a litre at the moment for members with the 60/40 split and you are allowed 200L each year at the heating rate of duty.
Club joining fee now put into a "boat account" can be used towards any galley bill ie. food and drink. :) basically a way of encouraging folks to use the facilities
Ask me for an application form.............mines a pint of 1664 by the way !

Last edited:

CLB

Visit site
RCC are always looking for new members.Its the rather long mooring wait list that is the ointment around the fly.
Fuel is 91p a litre at the moment for members with the 60/40 split and you are allowed 200L each year at the heating rate of duty.
Club joining fee now put into a "boat account" can be used towards any galley bill ie. food and drink. :) basically a way of encouraging folks to use the facilities
Ask me for an application form.............mines a pint of 1664 by the way !

Does that mean you can only take 500 litre per year at 60:40 or as much 60:40 as you like plus 200 litres at 0:100?

RCC is a club I would consider joining, but unless my boat was there, I could not justify being a member. How long is the wait list at the moment?

JumbleDuck

Visit site

oldgit

Visit site
Does that mean you can only take 500 litre per year at 60:40 or as much 60:40 as you like plus 200 litres at 0:100?

RCC is a club I would consider joining, but unless my boat was there, I could not justify being a member. How long is the wait list at the moment?

As much as you want at 60/40.

CLB

Visit site
Rochester Cruising Club. It's a great place to keep a MoBo, a friendly and active club, and good facilities. The only downside for us sterndrive boat owners is that Old Git will bend your ear at the club bar at every opportunity ?

oldgit

Visit site
Rochester Cruising Club. It's a great place to keep a MoBo, a friendly and active club, and good facilities. The only downside for us sterndrive boat owners is that Old Git will bend your ear at the club bar at every opportunity ?

cant even do that now they have closed the perishing club. Mind you the commodores boat has got a pair of duo props.....
Think there might be a connection somewhere ? :)