Does anybody know why......

G

Re: Does anybody know why.... I suspect I might...

There is a thing called a right of adverse possession that applies to land. If you take over and use a piece of land, and the owner does not complain, after a while it becomes your property. I can't remember if the time span is seven or twelve years.

It might be that, having claimed ownership of the sea bed when building a marina, the operators are a bit touchy about somebody else ruining their eventual claim to adverse possession.

But there again, I might be absolutely wrong, and the 'no live here' comes from a committee of people airing their prejudices.

Colin H.

G

"ownership of the sea bed "

Crown Estates Commissioners (The Treasury) and a select few others e.g. Lord Montague have that pleasure.

And we get charged handsomely too, don't we.

G

Depends on the Marina. There are several liveaboards in the Poole area. I also have a friend who lives on his boat on a swinging mooring in Poole Harbour.

G

I understand "Squatters rights" Do not apply if you are paying rent etc .. - not sure about eviction part NMI suspect I might...

nm

G

Re: No..

this was a an Aussie family in a very racey looking one off.

I'm sure that provided you go for a saill every now and then it's quite legit.

Tom

G

Re: Marina police ... bark worse than bite?

This is to do with council tax, and rules such as you mention are there more for the local council than for the customer.

Some marinas with several live-aboards come to a deal with the council and get it all legal. Port Werburgh does.

There are ways and means. When I asked St Kats a couple of years ago, I was told that I must not live aboard, not ACTUALLY live aboard, but.... etc

G

Re: You\'ve got me worried!...

Absolutely right

It's always better to do it and apologise afterwards than to ask permission and be refused.

G

Re: swinging mooring in Poole Harbour.

He must get some sleepless nights, or be onto something good!

G

We have people living aboard here. I think that the objection might be that whilst many are good citizens, living aboard attracts many antisocial hippy types.

G

Most insurance policis normally state that if a vessel is laid up and is slept in for two consecutive nights then it is deemed to be a houseboat and your insurance is no longer valid. ie no respectable marina or boatyard will allow you to stay

NM

G

I pose the following question. If as I often do, take the boat away for 3 weeks holiday sailing and get weather locked into a marina, I stay aboard for the full time. Am I contraviening some local bye law or could I for instance say, stay 3 weeks in Ramsgate then sail down to Dover for 3 weeks then come back to Ramsgate. Please no jokes about staying 3 weeks in Ramsgate its a genuine observation.

G

Yes ... that is why clandestine liveaboards should ...

a) Keep their yacht serviceable, and occasionally use it.

b) Have a postal shore address (a friend) for marina and insurance bills, where they can claim to be really 'living' if push comes to shove.

c) Specify no 'out of commission' period on the yacht insurance.

G

Thanks everyone for your postings. I didn't think such a totally boring question would provoke so many responses.

I think we'll probably take Bergman's advice when the time comes.

Thanks again and good sailing to you all.

G

Re: You\'ve got me worried!...

Andrew's advice re insurance is correct, but most insurers will cover you for no extra charge. But it must be declared and you must get "permission to use as houseboat" (which words I find a bit insulting).

I think it has been established that 6 months at one place is not a permanent home. So try moving regularly and don't take out an annual berth.

Did somebody say that we British are free?

G

Re: swinging mooring in Poole Harbour.

No. He's got a large motor sailer moored in Holes Bay, when he's not in the Channel Islands or France. He's lived on it for about 4 years now.