Do you wear sailing gloves

Neeves

Visit site
I suppose you will deny that you ever wear tights under your oilies .

What are these 'oilies' of which you speak. :)

I would wear them, gloves, but usually forget, until its too late. Wet gloves are a bit like keeping your hands inside a dead fish - though on a cat there is no, or little reason get gloves wet in the first place. I do have gloves, but from an obscure source, gardening, lifting, metal working, I don't recall the major specification is 'cheap'! - I cut the finger tips off

Jonathan

Daydream believer

Visit site
I normally wear fingerless gloves, when sailing & wear at least one pair out in a season , especially if sailing my dinghy as well as cruising.
However, I sometimes forget & when ones cruising chute gets out of control during a gust, it is easy enough to forget to let go of the sheet in time, with the obvious results.
burnt hands.jpg

Sandy

Visit site
I normally wear fingerless gloves & wear at least one pair out in a season , especially if sailing my dinghy as well as cruising.
However, I sometimes forget & when ones cruising chute gets out of control during the drop it is easy enough to forget to let go of the sheet in time, with the obvious results.
Yup, that is why I wear gloves.

blush2

Visit site
I wear them all the time. Blush's control lines for the main sheet traveller will do major damage when letting the car down the track to depower if you don't.

My gloves are made by Azure, not expensive, they came from the Soton boatshow.

We keep a selection of gloves on board for visiting crew because Blush will bite without warning.

RJJ

Visit site
Usually not. I like to toughen up my hands.

Yes, if it's stinking windy and I might fancy gybing. It's nice to be able to let the main run through your hands immediately the boom has crashed over; helps stop the boat rounding up. I'm often sailing with less experienced helmsmen and there's always the risk they exit the gybe too "hot" with too much pressure from the wound-in main; they respond by bearing away hard and then forget to straighten up as the main is eased.

On a hot day, I've taken to splashing the gloves with water before the gybe. Once I burned straight through the palm doing the above maneouvre.

Yes, almost always, when racing.

flaming

Visit site
Yes, normally. Although I'm the helm the traveller and backstay are both readily to hand, thin and often pretty loaded. I learned the hard way that dumping them in a hurry with non gloved hands can be a painful experience. But yes, the rest of the crew do take the piss.

Back when I sailed for a living I ended up not wearing gloves because my hands became pretty tough. My current land lubber lifestyle is leading to some pretty soft hands.... And with the demise of the CA forum, even the tough bit of skin on my typing fingers is softening up....

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
Thin dyneema everything on mine, so gloves all year unfortunately. I did get a pair of fingerless for a birthday a couple of years ago, and having scorned them I'm now a summer convert.

Scillypete

www.peteandspamgosailing.blogspot.com
I’ve got a couple of pairs of ‘em, haven’t worn them for years, only bought them to keep my hands warm when winter sailing and ended up not using them.

That’s the gloves covered I suppose next you’ll be saying I should be wearing some posh yachtie wellingtons next and not my slippers when I’m on passage on a cold night

D

Deleted member 36384

Mostly don’t, but I do have a pair of the fingertip-less on board if I need them. That usually happens after a week’s voyage in the rain when the skin softens up.

Momac

Visit site
The chief officer has a couple of pairs of these .... Not expensive but they are lasting as well, if not better , than the previous and more expensive items.
1622646235839.png

Ink

Visit site
However, I sometimes forget & when ones cruising chute gets out of control during a gust, it is easy enough to forget to let go of the sheet in time, with the obvious results.
View attachment 116636

I was taught to ease sheets under control on a winch. It can be done quickly even in an emergency situation. I can't understand letting go of a sheet "out of control" .

Ink

Daydream believer

Visit site
I was taught to ease sheets under control on a winch. It can be done quickly even in an emergency situation. I can't understand letting go of a sheet "out of control" .
Normally, to drop the sail, I would get hold of the sheet with one hand, let it out a bit & take it off the winch & move forward, release the clutch on cabin top to the foot with the other hand & let the foot fly & gather the sail in under the boom. At the same time I would flip the halyard clutch which would slip on a single turn on the winch as I pulled the sail in under the boom. Somehow the foot downhaul & halyard both jammed & the sail caught some wind & the sheet that I was pulling in suddenly went with a rush before I could let go.

mrming

instagram.com
I’ve raced all my life but less regularly now I have responsibilities. Once upon a time my hands were tough but now it’s gloves all the way. If I’m on the main I want to blow the sheet just after the gybe to take the sting out of it. If I’m trimming a kite I want to be able to dump it quickly to keep us on our toes. I’m definitely getting old and going soft though - my latest affectations are knee pads!

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
in the summer ?

None of my fellow ancient sailing buddies wear them. I think it's a British thing ( looks like you are trying too hard).

Well I have started using them full time and I love them . I have the type with a single bare finger for electronic button pushing .

Are you with me or not ?
Gloves ?
Anyone who has engine in boat is cop out.

laika

Visit site
Is this one of those questions where it very much depends on the type of boat you sail? On a larger boat you aren't going to be holding a sheet without a turn round a winch, minimising the likelihood of it being ripped out of your hands. Sure there's always the danger of someone not thinking and trying to grab a runaway line which has come off a winch but I'm struggling to think if I've ever done that. I think I'd have a different attitude on a boat at the top end of size where I thought I could hold a sheet off a winch in one hand whilst tacking.

I find even fingerless gloves awkward for fine control (dealing with knots, shackles etc.) so tend to only wear them when it's too cold not to

And talking of fingerless gloves...my first ever bit of yachting kit (which I was advised was a "must have" for my first boat trip in the late 80s) was a pair of Douglas Gill fingerless gloves. I always assumed "Douglas Gill" got rebranded as "Gill" but their company web site talks about their founder being Nick Gill. Are they two separate companies or was Douglas a Mr. or Ms. Douglas who was Nick's business partner?

Last edited:

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
First mate uses fingerless gloves when hauling on the outboard crane line.

Otherwise, no. We have all lines led to one lewmar 40 powered winch.

Shortly going to have a Solent Rig type Reacher/Code Zero installed with one manual Lewmar self tailer and rope clutch for the Port sheet while the Starboard sheet and furling line controlled by another double clutch and pair of blocks going to the powered winch.

I do all the rope work/trimming, dont expect to need gloves for it.

By the way, it is all under the roof over the rear cockpit on our vessel - dont need 'oilies' either ?

JumbleDuck

Visit site
in the summer ?

None of my fellow ancient sailing buddies wear them. I think it's a British thing ( looks like you are trying too hard).

Well I have started using them full time and I love them . I have the type with a single bare finger for electronic button pushing .

Are you with me or not ?
Yup - I have always had the fingerless suede ones.