Do you wear sailing gloves

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
in the summer ?

None of my fellow ancient sailing buddies wear them. I think it's a British thing ( looks like you are trying too hard).

Well I have started using them full time and I love them . I have the type with a single bare finger for electronic button pushing .

Are you with me or not ?

TernVI

Visit site
Depends on the boat and my role!
Helming, I prefer not to.
On my Laser, I sail with a slightly thicker sheet, so I'm OK without gloves.
Crewing a dinghy with a big asy, definitely.
Anything in between, maybe!

I keep a pair of 'builders' gloves' handy for things like anchor work, mark laying.
I wear proper sailing gloves if I'm trimming a kite.

ProMariner

Visit site
Only for racing, and even then, only when doing a trimming role which requires slipping a line thru my hand, so mainsheet and spin sheet yes, headsail trim no, pit sometimes depending on the boat.

Gloves are expensive, and wear out quickly, whereas skin re-grows for free, within reason. When cruising, the winch can take all of the friction.

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
Depends how well established my calluses are. Will definitely suffer this year as I've got baby soft skin right now. I agree with capnsensible about wet gloves though. Thats normally when I take them off.

mikegunn

Visit site
Have always worn gloves since hauling on sheets etc caused lumps to appear on my palms. Doctor said it was akin to underlay rucking up under a carpet.
Mike

johnalison

Visit site
I wear gloves for the first few outings to raise the main, otherwise my skin objects to the insult. After a while the hands toughen up and I can cope. We have thick PVC gloves for anchoring duties. Marigolds for washing-up.

Quiddle

Visit site
I hate wearing gloves and never wear them sailing. I avoided wearing them where possible in work where they were required PPE. Been accused of macho posturing before but it really isn't, I just value tactile feedback a lot. Protection aside, keeping hands warm is much more easily achieved by keeping your core warm than by swaddling extremities, IMO.

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
No they are expensive and slippery, and stop you getting tough skin and calloused palms, which are useful.
(Sailing a yacht in winter one time in Norway, I used waterproof mittens for my tricks on the wheel, mittens are much warmer than gloves.)

But... I'm quite aware of Weil's disease though, and I wear work gloves for dirty muddy mooring lines.
The River Medina mud is seething with large rats.. and my boats sit in it!

prv

Visit site
Maybe relevant for other kinds of sailing on other kinds of boat, but for yacht cruising I've never seen the need. Braided lines 10mm and up are comfortable enough to work with.

Gloves were banned on safety grounds when I used to sail in square-riggers - supposedly a sudden strain on a laid faux-hemp rope could cause it to grab a fold of glove and pull your hand round a belaying-pin. Seems a bit far-fetched to me but thems were the rules.

For warmth in winter I just put my hands in my fleece-lined pockets. George does most of the steering so I don't need to hold the wheel for long.

Pete