DIY anchor light

GHA

Visit site
Rain certainly stopped play today. So stuck onboard I finally got round to building a new anchor light. This has come up a few times, ..

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthrea...ED-anchor-light-circuit&highlight=frankenbebi

Regulator is based on this circuit from here..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Opm-3-hkDEM&index=1&list=WL

Selection_003_zps55617c0f.png

Bits cost about 4 quid, plus the pvc pipe and little box for the regulator. But with delivery etc more than that.
The regulator seems very stable, I put in a potentiometer instead of a fixed resistor so it could be adjusted.
Spent a bit of time looking at the Vf of each LED then averaged them out so each string would draw the same current. Then measured the current of each string when they were all connected and swapped a few LEDs so all strings are within a couple of mA's.

IMG_20150823_163715.372_zpsucwdgzxs.jpg

Wiring them up was a bit fiddly, soldered them in batches of 3 by putting them in backwards then inserted them inside. With all the positives paralleled above and the negs below.

IMG_20150824_143143.487_zps5k7j7uiw.jpg

Not too much work, the regulator is in its' own little box but it should be possible to fit the whole lot inside the pvc pipe.
There is certainly some "banding" where the LED beams overlap, not sure how noticeable this will be in the real world. But bright!
Draws 0.1A.

IMG_20150824_165246.799_zpsfdh122el.jpg

Just need it to stop raining and get dark so I can have a look from a distance :)

One question:- What to use to fill the pipe up with to make it completely waterproof? Epoxy would cost more than the bits.

agurney

agurney.com
For a quicker, cheaper and simpler solution, how about some readily available waterproof LED strips?

A few years ago I bought a set of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20pcs-3-L...erproof-Light-Lamp-Strip-DC-12V-/201371653604 (same lights, but probably a different vendor)

I attached four to a stick; adding a cigar plug and spare snap shackle I hang it out as a bright and effective anchor light or use it as a torch to illuminate various nooks and crannies. Some of the remaining lights I fastened inside lockers which has proved invaluable, and I still have a bunch left over for spares and projects.

KAL

Visit site
For a quicker, cheaper and simpler solution, how about some readily available waterproof LED strips?

A few years ago I bought a set of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20pcs-3-L...erproof-Light-Lamp-Strip-DC-12V-/201371653604 (same lights, but probably a different vendor)

I attached four to a stick; adding a cigar plug and spare snap shackle I hang it out as a bright and effective anchor light or use it as a torch to illuminate various nooks and crannies. Some of the remaining lights I fastened inside lockers which has proved invaluable, and I still have a bunch left over for spares and projects.
How did you get power to the ones in lockers? Battery pack of AAs?

William_H

Visit site
Nice job. On the expectation that battery voltage is going to be around 12.5 at anchor with no charging I would not bother with the regulator. (rely on ressitor current limiting) Also I would start the physical design witha glass jar. Water proof and sealable. Thus the strips of 5050 LEDs might be just fine to wrap around the inside of the jar. As many as you think necessary. However I also think that one of the auto bulb replacements would also do fine mounted in the jar.
One trap when buying TLV431 I bought a load of TL431 cheap from China (no V) the same only has a 2.5 volt regulated voltage so wasting more voltage in the regulator. luck olewill

Last edited:

Pinnacle

Visit site
Fantastic stuff OP.

Are you going to make any for sale, and if so how much for one posted to a UK mainland address?

William_H

Visit site
It would be worth checking the VHF interference. There have been many reports of problems with LEDs interfering, mainly those source from China and non-marine use.

In this design as in many Chinese LED bulbs there is no switching for current control just resistive limiting or in this case an active linear transistor regulator so no chance of interference. It is the bulbs that claim OK from 10 to 30 volts that have the high speed switching into an inductor that an provide interference unless properly shielded and bypassed. good luck olewill

GHA

Visit site
Fantastic stuff OP.

Are you going to make any for sale, and if so how much for one posted to a UK mainland address?
Sorry, can't see me making more than a couple. Wasn't sailingsaves doing something similar?

Not too hard though, RS do the LEDs and other bits, though to be honest a constant current LED driver off ebay might be just as easy as soldering some components together.

But this circuit might come in handy elsewhere as well, dimmable chart table lights comes to mind. Double throw switch for day/night mode.

DannyB

Visit site
I noticed today that Aldi are doing their LED lantern again. I think they were £2.99, 12 LEDs dimmer control and a stupid little compass on the top. I've been using one as an anchor light and at full brightness it's brilliant. Runs off AA batteries, I've no idea how many nights they would last, because I use rechargeable ones and charge them during the day. They are probably not very waterproof but mine has been in steady use for months with no problem, I did consider putting it in a big jam jar, but so far haven't bothered.

GHA

Visit site
GHA,

Very neat - and simple.

Where do you 'hang' it?

Jonathan

It's part of the anchor ball. So staysail halyard attaches to top of plastic anchor ball, anchor ball has a loop around the inner forestay to stop it twisting about, then short cord under the anchor ball goes to top of anchor light then another piece of multipait about 6' long attaches to the deck so anchor ball / light is just above head height. The power lead for the anchor light feeds down the centre of the multipait then in through a dorade vent to get plugged in in the forepeak. Works a treat and takes moments to rig.
With the angles of the leds there are slight duller bands in the light coming out so apparently there is a bit of a twinkle from further off as the boat gently rocks at anchor.