Divide & "Conquer"?

G

Divide & \"Conquer\"?

"snowleopard" raises the subject earlier but with little response.

Now that we have this sanitised (not a criticsm - it was the only possible cure in the light of what happened) replacement of an old friend and "Marian's Salon" with it's Chintz & Paper Doilies as the only generally available choices it is inevitable that the enthusiasm of some of the regular contributors has wained.

I think that one criticsm that is valid on this new format is that now you cannot see "at a glance" if there have been any new responses to a favourite topic leaving you the need to trawl through previously read postings. Also i have noticed, one's "given" password keps getting deleted so you need to go back to the email from the webmaster to input it again.

Or is it that some people have just taken the opportunity for a rest?

Steve Cronin

G

Re: Divide & \"Conquer\"?

Yes, Steve, it's a shame the revived board is less vigourous than its sire and I had been wondering why it should be.

Certainly there are a number of old friends who have not returned and appear to be happy behind Marian's net curtains.

Of course, much of the traffic had become self-sustaining abuse and vitriol and I am personally glad it's done with. I hope a new group will build up with time, indeed, I am sure it will, and this group will concentrate on exchanging information, ideas and chit-chat related to cruising under sail.

I share your frustrations with the lack of cookies though Karl and Kim assure us these will be along soon.

G

Perhaps people are spending more time sailing...

...and less time talking about it?

As the temporary suspension of the BBs occurred at about the time most people began their sailing season, perhaps we are all just getting on with it rather than using Scuttlebutt as a sailing substitute?

For me winter is about maintenance (hence questions on Reader2Reader) and dreaming (Scuttlebutt). Summer is about sailing!

G

Steve,

A combination of the 'nasties' and 'inner circle' made me switch off completely as did comments that people were asking the same questions etc, my take was that even if the same questions were asked it meant that someone was seeking info and the replies were always slightly different. Time is always a bit limited so now I dip in here. I think many people just decided to give it a complete rest, it was after all a real risk of becomming addictive....

I think this will re-build slowly in a more tolerant way than its previous incarnation.

Pete

G

Re: Perhaps people are spending more time sailing.

1) For me, sailing is for the weekend, mostly, and the internet is/was a chance for some vicarious sailing, some info gathering. (this means that the weekdays are available for posting and reading all sorts of nonsense)

2) The nasties were a nuisance (unpleasant for others, but being a nonentity, GD did not try to post as me!). This seems to have given way to masses of navel-gazing, with sickly stuff about how goody goody we all are, with our thought-police expunging contra entries.

3) What is needed is a bit of contentious stuff like we used to have, so here we go for starters...

Topic for conversation....
Nobody keeps a logbook anymore, they just pretend to, by filling it in after passage, from memory and the GPS track dump, and nobody should keep a logbook anymore.

G

I think it is only fair to mention that the only posts removed from the BYM site were those known or strongly suspected to be from the person who caused the closure of this one. There is not, and never has been, "censorship." Maybe people are going easy on each other for the time being - memories of the unpleasant atmosphere during the last weeks of the old Scuttlebutt still strong. Naturally, there is also a smaller number of posters there too. However, anyone going there looking for a good argument will certainly get it. All the stuff about "chintz, doilies and net curtains" is just rubbish, nastily tinged with sexism. The site has good features (like the facility to post pictures); it does NOT auto censor "bad language" and certainly has a great deal more life to it than this one does at present.

G

Re: Perhaps people are spending more time sailing.

Sorry to disagree but I ALWAYS keep a log running.

I must admit that my principle reason is that one of my regular crew is like the "duracell bunny" and it keeps him occupied. He is hard of thinking when it comes to numbers so writing up the log fully takes him a good 10 minutes ! so twice an hour gives the rest of us some piece and quiet.

I also have suffered, as a charterer, the vagarities of dead engines, dodgy batteries, iffy radios and suspect compasses, so some traditional nav also keeps my hand in.

The third reason is to provide evidence when putting in qualifying mileage for racing - a nice salt stained log with shaky writing and comments like "I earning ***** air miles for this trip" tend to add weight to the proof !

So -- thumbs up for logs.......

G

civilisations grow and fade
governments come and go
people change

Forumns evolve - you just have to live with it Steve - based on the magazine portal, if the mag pulls in new readers, the forumn will attract more participants.

Also, the quieter contributers may join in more, now there is a reduction of "in jokes" and "comments" from the clique that has moved over to "voy"

Dont get me wrong, some of Marion et al comments were informative and interesting but sometimes I was left reading postings that made me feel like an outsider looking in on the party.

Scuttlebutt MK1 is dead - long live Scuttlebutt MK2 ?!

G

That's how everyone feels when they first join a group of people many of whom already know each other. Some people get stuck in, start to post, get to know people and become part of the setup. Other people hover on the fringes and moan about cliques. What could be more soulless than an internet board where no relationships develop, everyone stays rigidly "on topic" and there is no history? If this board picks up and you become a regular contributor, other people will come along and complain (or moan inwardly) about the clique of which you are a part. Or perhaps you will stay on the fringes and feel left out by the new clique. Sorry, but that's the way things are - on and off the internet.

G

Pretty undignified and two faced-comment about the BYM board, James. Steve is running his little joke ragged, but that's no reason for you to join in.

G

jmr

Strange, I thought that as YBW.com is a yachting portal, the Forum's should be based around that topic.

As far as I'm concerned, if I want to have "relationships" of a friendly personal nature, I go to my sailing club or local pub or use a phone. If it's long distance, I use E-Mail. I dont sit in front of a screen broadcasting it to the world.

I expect I missed some useful information just because certain contributors I never bothered to read anymore .

This forum can be fun and still remain close to the topic for which it is designed.

G

Then I am afraid you are doomed to a hard time on the internet - where people tend to behave just as they do anywhere else.

G

Why exactly should you????

You posted a message which represented your true feelings. Why should you retract it? Sexism? Crap! The reality is that the BYM site is tedious and boring. The April issue is just on line (29 MAY). This isn't cutting edge digital media - it's very tired recycled hackette media.

G

What is this nonsense?

I see nothing constructive here at all! All I see is a bunch of guys who could better be called "old women" - if you have comments to make, why not post them on the BYM Board, rather than here.

G

Why?

is it necessary to "slag things off" and worse, to hurl gratuitous and vicious personal insults, simply because something does not suit the individual concerned? This is exactly the kind of infantile behaviour which ruined Scuttlebutt before. There were a lot of great threads - but they were made up of information, discussion, argument, jokes etc. Not snide digs and personal attacks. Scuttlebutt was a great forum in its time and may be so again. Steve always loved to stir things, but it does not bode well for the new Scuttlebutt that the only thread with any kind of life to it is this one. If ill-will is what livens up a forum for you, that's fine, but it won't be a very good forum and it won't attract new posters who are looking for recreation rather than an ill-natured playground tussle. "If you don't like it, do the other thing". Not a bad motto.

G

Exactly!

If you have a problem with BYM post on the BYM forum, if you have a problem with SB post here!

All that is being displayed here is playground bickering by people who should know better. If you REALLY want SB mk2 to go the same way as mk1 keep on going in the same direction.

The contributors have the power to make or break, all I see is a determined effort to break!

G

Hear, hear

Wise words. I was just thinking to myself that the quality of message on this board was on the ascendent.

If has taken the fool who caused this to become effectively a moderated board then good. If you ever have the time look at the Compuserve Boating forum. It is a model of civility.

A final thought, is the fact that we are now all accountable for our messages the reason that we have lost the low-life?

Chris Enstone, Rival Spirit

incognito

N/A
Visit site
I agree!

This whole thing about them and us is just as demeaning when it is SB postings about BYM as vice versa.

Not only demeaning, but boring, frustrating and generally crappy!

Can we just get on with interesting or provoking postings, preferably loosely to do with sailing?
I hereby vow... no more mention of any other sites!!