Diver to free fouled anchor

dom

Visit site
How long is a piece of string?

Depends where, how deep, water temperature, weather conditions, how urgent, etc.

Last edited:

Rum_Pirate

Visit site
You could ask these chaps for assistance:

Southsea Sub Aqua Club
Fort Widley

Portsdown Hill Road
Purbrook
Portsmouth
Hants
PO6 3LS

By email or phone
ChairmanDiving Officer
Tom TempletonMartin Davies
chairman @ southseasubaqua.org.ukdo @ southseasubaqua.org.uk
07740 87325507957 267391
SecretaryTreasurer
Steve BlackburnDoug Carter
secretary @ southseasubaqua.org.ukwadcarter @ gmail.com
07920 86326001730 268230

Last edited:

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Best to contact a local Sub-Aqua Club, they could do it as a training exercise and it would cost a lot less than a commercial dive company where HSE might come into play - standby diver, surface tender, dive supervisor!

Agree, talk to your local BSAC club. EU regs now require 4 commercial divers for depths to 10m. Unfortunately, no recreational diving allowed here (nature reserve) so we're stuck with the expensive route.

grandpaboat

Visit site
I guess for a team of commercial divers you are looking at well over £1,000 nowadays so the BSAC amateur Club looks a better option.
Or try dropping a weighted bight of rope under the cable and pulling under the anchor. It can work like a tripping line.

TernVI

Visit site
What might it be fouled by?
If it's possibly something like a power cable obviously you want to tread carefully.
If it's more likely a bit of wreckage or something, then giving it a heave with a slightly bigger boat might be a possibility?
Might be worth talkng to the mooring contractors if it's near their bases? Baker-Trayte?
I would ask RS Divers, as if they are passing nearby, it's not much time to have a quick look. Likewise there are other firms of divers elsewhere in the area.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Where is here?

Ria Formosa Portugal, €6k fine if caught, we managed to get away with severe warning earlier in the year but not risking it again. As well as diver costs, there's a license fee for every dive and, if the maritime police decide they want to be present, we have to pay for their time as well. All in about 5m depth, I job I've done myself in the past which takes about 1/2 hr to change the ground chain working alone.

PilotWolf

Visit site
We had a fouldef prop, we were operating out of a commercial port on the south coast. I knew the local dive company owner from a previous job, they still wanted over £1000 for the job and I’m talking probaly 15 years ago. All because of the HSE requirements.

In the end a friend of the owner son ‘fell‘ off the side the boat fortunately he was wearing a wet suit and scuba tank! Five minutes later tea and biscuits and some beer money and it was sorted.

Just-in-time as someone else called the dive company and they showed up rather angry luckily by this time the wetsuit and tanks were back in his car out of sight !

W

Last edited:

Shuggy

Visit site
This is one of those classic threads when we have no idea what the problem to solve is. OP - could you try again with at least a generous hint of what you’re actually asking? Are you a boat owner? Diver? What has happened?

zoidberg

Visit site
I don't have a direct answer to 'Dulcibella's Original Post, but I note s/he gives Portsmouth as location.

I'm wondering if the location of the problem anchor lies within the limits of authority of the Queens Harbour Master - in which case one might prudently identify whether and what Regulations apply to diving operations BEFORE the event.