Dipping the Ensign

OGITD

Visit site
It's all above me.

I thought all this Ensign dipping ceremonial routine was only between commissioned warships (I could be wrong :eek: ). And also proceeded and ended with some pipe (audible maritime signal) (just where is that Admiralty Manual Of Seamanship when you need it?) Also most of us don’t have a flag-pole big enough to distinguish between a dipped or fully hoisted Ensign…..do we? :confused:
Anyway….. this is all above me (literally) as I spent all my time below the water defending the world from the Reds during the “Cold War”….. or that’s what they told us. :D

maxi77

Visit site
I thought all this Ensign dipping ceremonial routine was only between commissioned warships (I could be wrong :eek: ). And also proceeded and ended with some pipe (audible maritime signal) (just where is that Admiralty Manual Of Seamanship when you need it?) Also most of us don’t have a flag-pole big enough to distinguish between a dipped or fully hoisted Ensign…..do we? :confused:
Anyway….. this is all above me (literally) as I spent all my time below the water defending the world from the Reds during the “Cold War”….. or that’s what they told us. :D

Dipping the ensign is a salute from the non military seafarers to the RN who have pprotected their right to free navigation.

I am also an ex member of the 'Great Unwashed' but as an OOW on the surface we happily dipped in reply to those who saluted us no matter how small thir vessel.

In my humble opinion failing to respond to a 'dip' is insulting and the pussers big war canoe responsible should be reported

Angele

Visit site
I thought all this Ensign dipping ceremonial routine was only between commissioned warships (I could be wrong :eek: ).

Nah! From personal experience I can say it does happen, even in an AWB. I think you just have to get them in the right frame of mind. Either that or they just have an innate knowldege of when to acknowledge someone of importance! :p

Woodlouse

Visit site
I find you have to be reasonably close to be sure of a return to your dip. Narrow channels and not much more than half a mile is best as you can be pretty sure then someone will be watching you. Then you get out the bino's and watch that junior officer run!

They never expect it you know.:D

Tottington Hall, near Bury, in the Duchy of Lancas
Visit site
On the way from Troon to Bangor we past one of HM finest and as we proudly fly the ensign we dipped it as we passed - nothing back, oh er! isn't that the way it is supposed to work?

Recollect that we did dip our ensign, conspicuously, to a nuke submarine in the Irish Sea one dawn, after a dismasting in the night. HMS Torbay turned up surfaced, circling around us, and we concluded they were trying to ascertain if we needed assistance.

We didn't, but without VHF the only way we could think of to signal "We're all right!" was the conspicuous dipping of ensign. That did the trick and she pushed off rather sharpish over the horizon....

:)

OGITD

Visit site
But it’s the only way!

We knew that . . . I hear tell that when you get out of your car, you exit through the sun roof to climb out onto the casing!! :D

But it’s the only way! :D

Also mine’s the only car in the neighborhood (possibly the UK) with a casing. :D:D

Conditioning and tradition are absolute! ;)

Last edited:

Ron Dean

Visit site
Dipping the ensign

Sailing through the Kiel Canal by freighter in August 2004 we found that traffic in both directions was mostly small craft – motor cruisers, barges & yachts (the latter often under sail). We were told that there were 11 ferry crossing points on the canal.
Near one ferry point at Rendsburg we were surprised to hear our national anthem played over the speaker system of a canal side café. At the same time the union flag was dipped. Apparently we should have dipped ours in response – not always done if the person responsible was busy at the time. On this occasion it was Jamie the cadet who was responsible – he later told me he was asleep at the time. (Later in the beer engine I gave him a severe reprimand).

Extracted from diary.

FrancisRutter

Visit site
"They never expect it you know"

Years ago, I was with my Father and we sailed up the Seine. He was always meticulous about dipping and so we dipped to a French destroyer that was passing. They were obviously taken by surprise and spotted us as they were level with us. We were amused to see a matelo running as hard as he could to the stern to return our dip.

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
We've dipped a number of warships of different nationalities including USA, UK, Turkish. All have dipped back. It's quite funny because they see you dip and send a rating scurrying to the stern.

Vara

Visit site
Be aware that dipping an ensign can be hazardous to health, dipped to a minehunter near Tobermory a few years ago.

Later we were anchored next to said vessel and were invited aboard for a drink, 8 hrs later we returned to boat, the next day we arranged a return match in the Mishnish.

Took five days to recover, and I'm sure that it has taken at least 5 years off my life.

Woodlouse

Visit site
We've dipped a number of warships of different nationalities including USA, UK, Turkish. All have dipped back. It's quite funny because they see you dip and send a rating scurrying to the stern.

Interesting you've managed to tempt a US warship to return the salute. I'd been informed that they didn't dip to mere yachts.

Daedelus

Visit site
Just looked at the RYA version and briefly they say "it is customary" for yachts to salute: all Royal Yachts, all warships British & Foreign and the flag officer of a yacht club if you are flying the burgee of that club. The last only once a day.

You are meant to lower it about 1/3 from the lower end so that it still flies and return to original position when the ship being saluted starts to re-hoist her ensign.

Blimey! Any warship going down the Solent would need a new ensign by the end if we all did that.