Dingy import from Australia

njthake

Visit site
I want to have a new dingy sent from Australia direct to Greece.
Does anyone know the customs formalities and potential problems with that. Also how much tax and extras will they want? Value about 4k euros?

grumpygit

Visit site
The Greeks aren't very forgiving in such areas so I would say without doubt, the whole works and slow in the process if my past experience has anything to do with it.
I'm intrigued, please share with us if your willing on the reason why you should want to do such a transaction?

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
The Greeks aren't very forgiving in such areas so I would say without doubt, the whole works and slow in the process if my past experience has anything to do with it.
I'm intrigued, please share with us if your willing on the reason why you should want to do such a transaction?
+1

I have heard several first hand stories from people trying to get things from USA, NZ and Australia. All had significant problems.

e.g.
American couple trying to get a couple of boxes of personal items.
They said it took them well over a month and only got the boxes by eventually hiring a car, driving to Athens and staying in a hotel. I seem to remember them saying it took ages to get details of the forms required, completing, paying, stamping etc. They went around the loop once, were then told costs had doubled and the form wasn't correct (by the person who had originally advised them that it was). It couldn't be altered or cancelled easily and they worked backwards to get a refund and start again.

Guy from New Zealand getting a watermaker
His son built and sold these and the guy on the next boat in the yard wanted one. No problem, my son can send one.
I can't remember all the details but it took so long that the guy had launched, gone sailing and decided to winter in Turkey. The watermaker did get to Athens fairly quickly before getting stuck in the system. It proved to be impossible to release to a 3rd party or re-direct to Turkey (I think extra cost was about 5,000 euros). I was told that a declaration had been signed to have the watermaker destroyed because the additional costs would not be paid.

Australian trying to get an outboard sent to Greece
I can't remember any details apart from how angry the guy was when discussing it. I was a bit annoyed with problems getting delivery of some items from Germany. Delivery was incredibly slow and my package was stuck in Athens airport for a week and then stopped for long periods at random places.

grumpygit

Visit site
+1

I have heard several first hand stories from people trying to get things from USA, NZ and Australia. All had significant problems.

e.g.
American couple trying to get a couple of boxes of personal items.
They said it took them well over a month and only got the boxes by eventually hiring a car, driving to Athens and staying in a hotel. I seem to remember them saying it took ages to get details of the forms required, completing, paying, stamping etc. They went around the loop once, were then told costs had doubled and the form wasn't correct (by the person who had originally advised them that it was). It couldn't be altered or cancelled easily and they worked backwards to get a refund and start again.

Guy from New Zealand getting a watermaker
His son built and sold these and the guy on the next boat in the yard wanted one. No problem, my son can send one.
I can't remember all the details but it took so long that the guy had launched, gone sailing and decided to winter in Turkey. The watermaker did get to Athens fairly quickly before getting stuck in the system. It proved to be impossible to release to a 3rd party or re-direct to Turkey (I think extra cost was about 5,000 euros). I was told that a declaration had been signed to have the watermaker destroyed because the additional costs would not be paid.

Australian trying to get an outboard sent to Greece
I can't remember any details apart from how angry the guy was when discussing it. I was a bit annoyed with problems getting delivery of some items from Germany. Delivery was incredibly slow and my package was stuck in Athens airport for a week and then stopped for long periods at random places.

Definitely slow to the point of stop. It has to go through the handlers, customs and then the handlers again and on to the post office/courier all at a Greek pace.
At the end of this there is a nice lump of duty and iva to be paid.
I ordered off Ebay , supposedly from a UK seller and it deceitfully it came direct from China. It took weeks in the Greek (4, I think) system before I got presented with a bill for the duty and iva before I could take possession.
If you can get it sent to a friend in a more sympathetic country within the EU and ship it on to Greece from there may be a solution.

Seastoke

Visit site
I want to have a new dingy sent from Australia direct to Greece.
Does anyone know the customs formalities and potential problems with that. Also how much tax and extras will they want? Value about 4k euros?
What makes something made in aus so good and worth it.

njthake

Visit site
Thanks for all of your comments. It sound like it is going to be more trouble than it is worth.
I will reconsider my options.