Dingy choice

chrisrixon

Visit site
For extended cruising / liveaboard for 2 plus occasional visitors what sort of (inflatable) dingy would you choose?

Are there benefits in a small one:
Easy to stow, cheap, etc

ccscott49

Visit site
If it's for extended cruising and liveaboard, I would go for a Zodiac, Avon or similar very good quality one, the pump-up or rollaway floor type, with transom. A small outboard, which is easily handled by all on board, (unless really little people aboard) and an inflatable keel, so it can be rowed easily. the better quality ones will reward you with there robustness and longevity, remember it will be dragged up beaches and stuff like that!

G

We have a Bombard AX2 and also an AX3. The AX2 is really a little too small, even for two people - but of course very light. I think the AX3 is just right. They have slatted floors which makes for easy folding and stowing. Personally I think that the Avon Rollaway is too heavy. If I were buying now I would go for one with a rigid inflatable floor. I liked the look of the Lodestar range at the last boatshow. The rigid floor also makes for a planing hull shape - given enough power. But size of outboard to have is another question! Although we have an inflatable seat for the Bombard it rarely gets used - so we paddle instead of row (but 2 people needed). A fixed wooden seat would be much better.

MedMan

teall.name
There is little I can add to the comments already made. Go for as big as you can comfortably handle and stow. You will be transporting crates of beer, packs of soft drinks, containers of water and diesel, gas bottles, bicycles and visitors not to mention rowing out the storm anchor.

We have a Tinker Tramp. It is a lovely dinghy - our second Tinker - but I would not recomend it for long term cruising. Its real problem is maintenance. The floor needs repainting inside and out at least every two years. The transom and thwart are varnished and so are the oars. It is a pain!

Next time I shall go for, perhaps, a Zodiac with an inflatable floor. Tough, light, practical and low maintenance.

G

I can not agree with the choice of a Rubber Ducky at all.Our boat is 32',we have davits and a nester dinghy designed by Michel DeRidder of New Zealand. Half is 7'6" and rows rather good for so small a boat. Put together it is 13'6".This is done in the water with no tools in about 2 minutes.We carry a 7.5 hp. outboard and find with two aboard 10 knots is honest,with one 13knots.Its unsinkable,has two rowing positions.We built it from the plans and it took 3 weeks spare time.Would't have any other.

ccscott49

Visit site
He doesnt have davits and needs something he can pack/roll up and stowaway. I like the idea of this little boat of yours however, so you can use one half and then bolt on the other when you need it, sounds ideal for the extra guests syndrome! Where did you get the plans? I'd like to have a look at them, I bet theres a few more over here who would aswell, if you could let me know by forum or PM. Thanks.
Colin