Dinghy stolen in Salcombe

stranded

Visit site
Pleased all ended well -we bought a wire and paddock as used in Caribbean but one of my concerns when looking at Torqeedo was the risk of them straying when ashore.

The battery at least has quite a textured surface - is there any sort of paint that would be irremovable short of abrading?

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Pleased all ended well -we bought a wire and paddock as used in Caribbean but one of my concerns when looking at Torqeedo was the risk of them straying when ashore.
That's what really puts me off getting one. I'm used to leaving a GRP dinghy with oars in it pulled up on foreshores and tied to piers or pontoons without a qualm. Knowing that someone easily could deprive me of £1500 worth would be a little worrying. I'm amazed that Torqeedo can fit a GPS system to the battery but not a simple PIN pad to restrict access.

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
That's what really puts me off getting one. I'm used to leaving a GRP dinghy with oars in it pulled up on foreshores and tied to piers or pontoons without a qualm. Knowing that someone easily could deprive me of £1500 worth would be a little worrying. I'm amazed that Torqeedo can fit a GPS system to the battery but not a simple PIN pad to restrict access.
Given the battery capacity is huge compared with a basic GPS, it could be elaborated into an "anchor alarm" that would sound loudly if the Torqeedo moved away without being unlocked...

mainsail1

Returned to South Coast from West Coast of Scotlan
Visit site
The tiller of my Torqeedo goes with me when I leave the dinghy ashore. I think this is quite a deterrent as any thief has only 2/3rds of an outboard to sell and certainly cannot go anywhere using the remaining bits. When the dinghy is tied behind the yacht I take off both the battery and the tiller. Easy to do.

Reactions: DJE

stranded

Visit site
The tiller of my Torqeedo goes with me when I leave the dinghy ashore. I think this is quite a deterrent as any thief has only 2/3rds of an outboard to sell and certainly cannot go anywhere using the remaining bits. When the dinghy is tied behind the yacht I take off both the battery and the tiller. Easy to do.
It is easy, but it’s not waterproof - don’t know if that applies to rain or just immersion.

Mark Payne

Visit site
Hi!

Mark and Audrey from Grace. We were rafted to Stranded in Salcombe and were party to the sad news as we left for Dartmouth that morning. So good to hear that it has been found!

M

BlueChip

Visit site
I always carry a length of dinghy shroud with soft eyes each end, its easy then when leaving the dinghy to run it through a pontoon cleat, back through lifejacket harness rings, petrol can and holes in oars and anything else you want to secure, finishing off with a padlock to a eye bolt on the transom. It wouldnt stop a determined thief but it would stop a casual pilferer. I see more and more people chaing their boats up now.

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
I always carry a length of dinghy shroud with soft eyes each end, its easy then when leaving the dinghy to run it through a pontoon cleat, back through lifejacket harness rings, petrol can and holes in oars and anything else you want to secure, finishing off with a padlock to a eye bolt on the transom. It wouldnt stop a determined thief but it would stop a casual pilferer. I see more and more people chaing their boats up now.
Goes against traditional good manners requiring the use of a long painter to allow others to get their dinghies alongside the pontoon.

Stemar

Visit site
I postcoded my outboard with a Dremel. Once, very visibly on the outside, and again inside the cover, on the fuel tank , IIRC. Didn't stop it getting nicked, but I've no one to blame but myself, as it wasn't locked, and was reachable on foot.

Robin

Visit site
Goes against traditional good manners requiring the use of a long painter to allow others to get their dinghies alongside the pontoon.

+1 I once added an extra padlock to one of those, one I 'd lost a key for, extra security to thank the guy for making me clamber over with a then dodgy hip. Another such found I'd walked in doggy :poop: on the way back from town and had to clamber over his everything wired/locked to get to my dinghy on it's considerately long painter.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
The only time, thankfully, I have encountered those sort of manners wee at Aringour in Coll where someone goosed his outboard to push in at the ladder on the pier just ahead of a dinghy rowed by a small child and then tied his dinghy up so tightly that we couldn't get at the ladder.

stranded

Visit site
The only time, thankfully, I have encountered those sort of manners wee at Aringour in Coll where someone goosed his outboard to push in at the ladder on the pier just ahead of a dinghy rowed by a small child and then tied his dinghy up so tightly that we couldn't get at the ladder.

It seems to be increasing. Down in Salcombe we had our toddler grandson with us and a couple of times went in early, left the dinghy on a long line on a fairly empty visitors pontoon, only to return a couple of hours later to find we could only just get it back to the pontoon because of the dinghies on short painters. Must confess that I did almost think sod it and tie ours up short the next time (but proud to say I didn’t stoop). Remember also an early evening in dittisham when a handful of well refreshed working boat guys outside the FBI were loudly toying with the idea of liberating the numerous dinghies on short painters - there appeared to be quite a bit of toing and froing by visitors - we couldn’t see the pontoon from where we were sitting but things were remarkably civilised by the time we returned to the pontoon after dinner.

doug748

Visit site
It seems to be increasing. Down in Salcombe we had our toddler grandson with us and a couple of times went in early, left the dinghy on a long line on a fairly empty visitors pontoon, only to return a couple of hours later to find we could only just get it back to the pontoon because of the dinghies on short painters. Must confess that I did almost think sod it and tie ours up short the next time (but proud to say I didn’t stoop). Remember also an early evening in dittisham when a handful of well refreshed working boat guys outside the FBI were loudly toying with the idea of liberating the numerous dinghies on short painters - there appeared to be quite a bit of toing and froing by visitors - we couldn’t see the pontoon from where we were sitting but things were remarkably civilised by the time we returned to the pontoon after dinner.

Salcombe is a shocker and Fowey almost as bad in the season. Even worse when lots of space is taken up by 12ft punts tied hard at the bow, on a foot of painter with 6 inches of water in the bottom of each one. : - [

James_Calvert

Visit site
Too many people have painters that are too short.

In Salcombe the standard trick if using Whitestrand pontoon, where there's no chance of getting alongside, is to pick a likely route hopping across two or three boats. Those with short painters just tie up to one of those boats. If they are lucky, they will have their painters safely refastened when that boat leaves. Occasionally that is beyond the departee and a little raft of dinghies go adrift...