Dinghy stolen in Salcombe

stranded

Visit site
So now all that turned out well, are you going to padlock the thing or go through the same loop? Some of us are all agog.
No, I shall continue to do exactly as I do. I now have anew 20 years of not being a paranoid android, have never had to make an insurance claim and apart from one gps aerial cut from the push pit while moored in Turf Lock on the Exe, never iirc had anything stolen. The world isn’t that scary. Might practise my knots though, just in case...

cherod

Visit site
No, I shall continue to do exactly as I do. I now have anew 20 years of not being a paranoid android, have never had to make an insurance claim and apart from one gps aerial cut from the push pit while moored in Turf Lock on the Exe, never iirc had anything stolen. The world isn’t that scary. Might practise my knots though, just in case...
aha ,,;)

stranded

Visit site
The only way of being sure is doing what I do - alway tie two painters at night especially if some drink has been consumed.

I always padlock the Torqueedo to the dinghy (and through the battery so that can’t be taken separately). I haven’t yet felt the need to actually chain the dinghy to boat or dock and am confident that the magnetic key fob will defeat casual thieves. I don’t know whether it is keyed to that engine alone or whether all the key fobs work with any engine.
We do have a lock preventing unscrewing of the motor from the big boat push pit when we are away, and sometimes use it on the dinghy. I don’t think the fobs are motor specific - I am almost certain when I ordered a spare a couple of years ago the only details they wanted were of my payment card.

Visit site
The world is full of tea leaves and the trick is just to make it easier to pinch someone else's. That's why we don't leave the front door open or the key in the ignition. You were lucky this time but if you want to carry on as before that's your choice. None so blind as those who will not see. I hope next time yours is moored up next to mine, it'll keep the flies away.

cherod

Visit site
The world is full of tea leaves and the trick is just to make it easier to pinch someone else's. That's why we don't leave the front door open or the key in the ignition. You were lucky this time but if you want to carry on as before that's your choice. None so blind as those who will not see. I hope next time yours is moored up next to mine, it'll keep the flies away.
who doesnt ,,,, oh the joys of living in the sticks, i cant tell you the rest , just in case.

stranded

Visit site
I think my greatest concern if I were to be moored next to you would be that some of your negativity would rub off on me. ?

Last edited:

ronsurf

Visit site
Are you sure it's been stolen? I found a dinghy drifting on the river coming back from the bag once - a new inflateable with oars, outboard, and spare fuel. It had a Salcombe harbour sticker on it so I towed it back and notified the harbourmaster, who took it off and presumably reunited it with it's owner.

Salciombe is such a busy place it's possible it's been inadvertently untied and drifted off somewhere. Have you checked with the Harbourmaster?

johnalison

Visit site
I think you are quite right. The purpose of having a boat is to enjoy it, not to spend your time fretting. Leaving a tender tied to the boat is perfectly normal for Salcombe visitors. Although I have always locked the outboard to the pushpit when leaving it there, it would be normal to leave it on the dinghy when in the Bag, though perhaps not on a mooring, where it could suffer from a capsize. I don't have the facility for locking my o/b to the dinghy, merely securing it with a line, but it might be work considering something like a bicycle lock if the o/b is a valuable one.

All dinghies taken to the Town hard in Salcombe have to be marked with the yacht's name, or they are removed. I think they are taken to an offshore pontoon, where the miscreant has to get there via the water taxi or beg.

Dan Tribe

Visit site
I lost my dinghy on the River Orwell on Saturday. There were lots of yachts around, so I reported it to Harwich and Ipswich port authorities in case someone picked it up. Ipswich said that there were lots of Eastern Europeans around so don't expect to see it again.
So, immigrants get the blame for me not being able to tie knots properly!

Last edited:

JumbleDuck

Visit site
It would be interesting to know if the painter is intact. I am wondering if a night time arrival could have clouted the dinghy and snapped the painter.

stranded

Visit site
It would be interesting to know if the painter is intact. I am wondering if a night time arrival could have clouted the dinghy and snapped the painter.
I think that would have woken us up - we sleep in the aft cabin so our heads would have been about 2ft from the painter knot. So all the evidence points to my crap knot tying except I always use exactly the same knot and it has never as much as slipped or the bitches become looser.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
I think that would have woken us up - we sleep in the aft cabin so our heads would have been about 2ft from the painter knot. So all the evidence points to my crap knot tying except I always use exactly the same knot and it has never as much as slipped or the bitches become looser.

You wouldn't be the first to have dinghy nicked while asleep, regular occurrence anchored of some Spanish areas.

Frogmogman

Visit site
I lost my dinghy on the River Orwell on Saturday. There were lots of yachts around, so I reported it to Harwich and Ipswich port authorities in case someone picked it up. Ipswich said that there were lots of Eastern Europeans around so don't expect to see it again.
So, immigrants get the blame for me not being able to tie knots properly!

Oh Lord. Dont tell the Daily Heil.

newtothis

Visit site
Have you tried whipping your knots? Bitches get stitches.