Dinghy stolen in Salcombe

stranded

Visit site
Crap way to start the day - our Zodiak 2.6m dinghy and Torqueedo stolen from a Salcombe visitors mooring last night, and to top it off the water taxi isn’t answering so I am not getting my pains aux chocolat!

dom

Visit site
Crap way to start the day - our Zodiak 2.6m dinghy and Torqueedo stolen from a Salcombe visitors mooring last night, and to top it off the water taxi isn’t answering so I am not getting my pains aux chocolat!

Bad luck old boy - sooooo annoying :mad:

Apols for first thinking this was a windup when I saw your username!

Seriously, you must report it ASAP to Salcombe Harbour Authority (Ch 14) and possibly local police to get a crime reference for insurance purposes. Also to enable the police to freeze and examine any relevant video data, etc.

stranded

Visit site
Bad luck old boy - sooooo annoying :mad:

Apols for first thinking this was a windup when I saw your username!

Seriously, you must report it ASAP to Salcombe Harbour Authority (Ch 14) and possibly local police to get a crime reference for insurance purposes. Also to enable the police to freeze and examine any relevant video data, etc.
Thank you - have already alerted Harbour authority in case they find it abandoned somewhere. Will call the police when I have had my rather disappointing weetabix!

Robin

Visit site
Basic question as you are apparently not on a walk ashore mooring , are you sure it did not just come untied and drift off and may yet be found when HM staff wake up and answer calls? Bin there and got that tee shirt, doh.

stranded

Visit site
It’s always possible, but I tied it off myself with my usual 2 turns and 3 half bitches round the back stay adjuster tube so less likely than a thieving scrote I think.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
I think you are being wilfully literal in your reading Richard - there was a yacht linking the buoy and the tender - no bigger nits to pick today??
No, not at all. That's why I mentioned the water taxi taking you back to your boat last night. Surely you must have thought that my comment was rather left field? :unsure:

A visitors mooring as used for dinghies means something different in the Med ..... but I understand now. :)

Richard

Birdseye

Visit site
It’s always possible, but I tied it off myself with my usual 2 turns and 3 half bitches round the back stay adjuster tube so less likely than a thieving scrote I think.
A bitch hanging off the backstay!". Well I guess the fact that you were afloat rules out the usual drunken yoof wanting a way to get home. I still think that a knot working loose is the more likely reason but did you have any tatty live aboard boats nearby? Best of luck with it.

Resolution

Visit site
Anxious not to get left behind in these BAME LBGTXYZ days, on reading #7 I rushed to the urban dictionary to find out if "half bitches" had an entry.
It does, but disappointingly prosaic and just what the words would have meant in olde English.
However many of us older forumites might find the urban dictionary definition of "half hitch" more relevant. o_O :eek: (n)

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Do Torqeedo implement security on their outboards? I'd have thought that for the money it would be relatively easy to implement some sort of PIN lock or digital security fob.

stranded

Visit site
Do Torqeedo implement security on their outboards? I'd have thought that for the money it would be relatively easy to implement some sort of PIN lock or digital security fob.
No - there is a magnetic dongle but unkeyed - mind you, ours was over seven years old, don’t know about later ones - looks like I will be finding out shortly!

Visit site
Easy to be wise after the event and I've no intention to sound trite but if I had a boat/engine combination worth several k I think I'd have made at least made some attempt at chain/padlock. One has to hope that your insurance company doesn't take a similar view.