DEPKA in Greece

jaba

Visit site
Has it been really scrapped for EU boats?
I found lots of announcements but I could not find confirmation. Could someone here confirm Depka has been cancelled for 2021 or point me to a reliable source?
(in Greece announcements and facts sometimes exist in parallel Universes.)
Thanks!
J

De.windhoos

Visit site
Has it been really scrapped for EU boats?
I found lots of announcements but I could not find confirmation. Could someone here confirm Depka has been cancelled for 2021 or point me to a reliable source?
(in Greece announcements and facts sometimes exist in parallel Universes.)
Thanks!
J
Yes. DEKPA doesn't exist anymore. Instead you have to deal with ETPAI. This is a boat tax based upon length which you need to pay before entering Greece. Chris Robb has written an extensive post about this. it's pinned in this forum.

B&M

Visit site
From the 1st January all British boats will require a transit log. Depending on the vat status of your boat you may be required to leave Greek waters every 18 months. In addition to this, you may be required to report to the Port Police on arrival in and departure from a port.

grumpygit

Visit site
From the 1st January all British boats will require a transit log. Depending on the vat status of your boat you may be required to leave Greek waters every 18 months. In addition to this, you may be required to report to the Port Police on arrival in and departure from a port.

Anyone got any thoughts on the criteria of a Brit with a Greek temporary residency card and a UK boat in the EU on an SSR. As above or different?

B&M

Visit site
My reading of the situation as it stands at the moment, is that if you have temporary residence you must stay in Greece for at least 183 days a year, otherwise you will loose these rights. The implications of this mean that you become tax resident and must submit a tax return each year even if it is zero.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
My reading of the situation as it stands at the moment, is that if you have temporary residence you must stay in Greece for at least 183 days a year, otherwise you will loose these rights. The implications of this mean that you become tax resident and must submit a tax return each year even if it is zero.
Your correct in what you said , but who to know if you stay 183 days plus you only libel for tax if you had a income in that country .

B&M

Visit site
Once the new biometric residency cards are issued next year it will be very easy to see how long you have been in the country. Failure to stay for 183 days a year will mean your residency will be withdrawn. If you are a non resident your passport will be stamped on entry and exit. In Greece even if your not liable for tax as a resident you are expected to submit a tax return even if it is zero. TO do this you will need an accountant.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Once the new biometric residency cards are issued next year it will be very easy to see how long you have been in the country. Failure to stay for 183 days a year will mean your residency will be withdrawn. If you are a non resident your passport will be stamped on entry and exit. In Greece even if your not liable for tax as a resident you are expected to submit a tax return even if it is zero. TO do this you will need an accountant.
How do that work ? Biometric card or not , how do the B card say if I sailed to Italy or Croatia?
We been doing this for a very long time most years we hit five different countries , can't remember last time my passport been check other the name a airport , are you saying once the B card is up and running things are going to be different ,

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Anyone got any thoughts on the criteria of a Brit with a Greek temporary residency card and a UK boat in the EU on an SSR. As above or different?
Grumpgit my concean is if the Greek decided if your a full time residency that boats had to be reg under Greek flag .
The same in other country's too

grumpygit

Visit site

For the tax I am set up and have been for nearly four years now. I already do a zero tax return and at this moment we are spending more than 183 days in Greece.

Grumpgit my concean is if the Greek decided if your a full time residency that boats had to be reg under Greek flag .
The same in other country's too

Thanks Vic but I do hope this won't be the case as the boat is registered at my UK address. What will all the Greek stink pots be doing that are on the SSR?
I'd rather deal with a Transit Log than go to the hassle of a Greek registration.
I think I'll just sit it out and wait to see what other experiences peeps come up with next year.

Tony Cross

Visit site
Your correct in what you said , but who to know if you stay 183 days plus you only libel for tax if you had a income in that country .
That's not true. Greece taxes worldwide income and if you're tax resident in Greece (more that 183 days a year) they will want to tax ALL your income. There are penalties for not filing tax returns and for not paying tax owing. If you are long-term resident in Greece see a good tax accountant and get your tax affairs in order.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
That's not true. Greece taxes worldwide income and if you're tax resident in Greece (more that 183 days a year) they will want to tax ALL your income. There are penalties for not filing tax returns and for not paying tax owing. If you are long-term resident in Greece see a good tax accountant and get your tax affairs in order.
I stand corrected , as I understood it if you paid tax in the country you earned it In, you not libel again.
It what you say right , it's another good reason not to be a resident in Greece.

grumpygit

Visit site
I stand corrected , as I understood it if you paid tax in the country you earned it In, you not libel again.
It what you say right , it's another good reason not to be a resident in Greece.

Or any UK citizen wishing to stay in any EU country. I dare say any third country if one looked deep enough into their tax laws. The problem with Greece for one is that their tax allowances are pretty dismal. At the moment I'm in a transition period, I've not fully jumped one way or another but the clock will start ticking in nine days time so decisions will have to be made.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Or any UK citizen wishing to stay in any EU country. I dare say any third country if one looked deep enough into their tax laws. The problem with Greece for one is that their tax allowances are pretty dismal. At the moment I'm in a transition period, I've not fully jumped one way or another but the clock will start ticking in nine days time so decisions will have to be made.
Greece a double taxation with the UK ? If that's the case why are you paying twice on any oncome ? Or am I missing some thing ?

grumpygit

Visit site
Greece a double taxation with the UK ? If that's the case why are you paying twice on any oncome ? Or am I missing some thing ?

My understanding with the present agreement between the two countries is that you can't be taxed by both Greece and the UK. We are all different with our personal affairs so this is where Tony C is correct and one needs to speak with a tax accountant. How you decide which is a good one or a bad one can be a conundrum but I have no grounds for any complaints with mine in Greece or the UK.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
My understanding with the present agreement between the two countries is that you can't be taxed by both Greece and the UK. We are all different with our personal affairs so this is where Tony C is correct and one needs to speak with a tax accountant. How you decide which is a good one or a bad one can be a conundrum but I have no grounds for any complaints with mine in Greece or the UK.
OK so by what you just said , if your a Greek resident and pay tax in the UK on any income you may earn in say the UK ie pension, property or what every then you won't be taxed a second time on the same income in Greece, in which case it what I said in my posting .
I'm not making an argument out of it just trying to get to the facts

grumpygit

Visit site
OK so by what you just said , if your a Greek resident and pay tax in the UK on any income you may earn in say the UK ie pension, property or what every then you won't be taxed a second time on the same income in Greece, in which case it what I said in my posting .
I'm not making an argument out of it just trying to get to the facts

Sorry Vic but any answers to your questions will require personal information to question which certainly does not need to be aired in public. At this moment I am zero tax in Greece of which I file a tax return and have done for the last 4 years. I also submit a yearly tax return in the UK . . . . . .
This may help Greece - Individual - Deductions But of course this will very quickly out of date and then who knows for certain?

Tony Cross

Visit site
Where did I say I was paying twice? There is a double taxation agreement and you do indeed only pay tax in one country - but that's the country in which you're tax resident. If that's not the UK then my advice is to see a tax accountant in your country of residence and get your tax affairs in order.

They will catch up with you sooner or later and, in Greece at least, if you claim you were a UK resident for the years they want to back-tax you then you'll need to approach HMRC for a document proving that you were a UK tax resident in every year Greece wants to back-tax you. To get that you have to provide proof to HMRC that you were actually resident in the UK for 183 days or more in every year you're claiming tax residence there. If you can't provide that then Greece will tax you for all the years you've been tax resident in Greece and fine you both for late payment of tax owed and for failing to file tax returns - for every year you missed. If you have a Greek tax number then they're likely to come after you for every year from the date you obtained your tax number. Of course you may then be able to claim the UK paid tax back for those years.

This is why you need to act and why you need a tax accountant to advise you. Becoming a legal resident as a citizen of a non-EU member country makes us all much more visible than we were....

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Where did I say I was paying twice? There is a double taxation agreement and you do indeed only pay tax in one country - but that's the country in which you're tax resident. If that's not the UK then my advice is to see a tax accountant in your country of residence and get your
Sorry Tony didn't mean you personally .

wwalsh

Visit site
Greece will tax you for all the years you've been tax resident in Greece and fine you both for late payment of tax owed and for failing to file tax returns - for every year you missed.

There is statute of limitation of 5 years which may be extended to 6 in case they find new information in the 5th year.
There is statute of limitation of 10 years if no tax return had been filed or if new information found that could not have been brought to their attention during the 5 year period. (probably foreign bank accounts, assets).

It used to be 20 years.

In case even one euro is owed to the greek tax authority it is impossible to sell greek assets or make other moves (eg. close a greek bank account). In case of dispute there is possibility to pay half and make appeal process.

Last edited: