Deck shoes - best ones?

nimbusgb

www.umfundi.com
Any recommendations on a really good deck shoe?

I bought 2 pairs last year at the boat show from one of the vendors that have turned out to perform like ice skates on teak decks! ( helmsman brand ) I'm looking for a really good working shoe that comes in sizes up to 12 and that have a broad fitting. Non of this poncy narrow Italian styling!

Last edited:

Ex-SolentBoy

Visit site

I bought 2 pairs last year at the boat show from one of the vendors that have turned out to perform like ice skates on teak decks! ( helmsman brand ) I'm looking for a really good working shoe that comes in sizes up to 12 and that have a broad fitting. Non of this poncy narrow Italian styling!

I wear M&S deck shoes but take them off as soon as I get to the boat. On bord I prefer Keen Newport H2. The best nonslip I have ever tried. Excellent toe covering, you can wash them, wear them on the beach and go walking in them.

I am very fussy bout my decks and these are by far the best I have found. Broad fitting, completely non marking ........etc.

Robin

Visit site

I have two favourites. A long time back I tried Gill trainer style deck shoes which were very good until I replaced them and the new ones were dangerously slippy. I switched to Sperry trainer style bought in the USA from West Marine, sold here too but about twice the price. In the USA they were available in standard widths and wide widths, I bought two pairs and still have the spare pair as yet unused.

Second favourite are Crocs. I resisted for years but SWMBO bought some as recommended by some friends who are professional Captain & Hostess on super smart charter yachts in the Caribbean, as well as living and sailing on their own boat there. There are the basic Crocs which I use a lot, as do other sailing friends here, but they also do boat Crocs which are the same bottoms but with a leather top and leather laces so a tad more stylish and a more firmly fixed to your feet. Non marking, long lasting, plenty of foot room, ideal for dinghy to the beach as water just drains away and very non slip, even the boat ones are half the price of snooty leather Yacht Club wear.

starfire

Visit site
Same problem.

Years ago I bought a pair of Plastimo plain leather deck shoes which have been superb, but now are falling apart.

Trying to find something similar at a reasonable price is a major task.

Spuddy

Visit site
Fortunately there's an outlet centre near me; I picked up some Musto Fastnet deck shoes at a very good price. Sturdily built and worn nowt else on my big feet for ages. No slips even on my narrow, lean-over boat.

Cloven

Visit site
Best I have had by far are some from Decathlon.

http://www.decathlon.fr/clipper-cr500-h-bleu-id_8122638.html

Comfy as slippers, super "sticky" on wet or dry decks & dry quickly & good price.

I bought a pair last year and they were so good I bought a second pair this year. First pair after a full season are showing slight signs of wear in the sole but to be fair, I just wear them all the time - on the boat, going shopping etc. That's how comfy they are. I was interested to see that most the staff at our marina are also wearing them now.

Not sure if they are available at Decathlon in UK but they are available by mail order from Decathlon France.

uxb

Visit site
I used to have a pair branded 'Christoph Augin' ( or some other French solo sailor)

They were the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned. I've tried to find them again but without success.

JayBee

Visit site
I wear M&S deck shoes but take them off as soon as I get to the boat. On bord I prefer Keen Newport H2. The best nonslip I have ever tried. Excellent toe covering, you can wash them, wear them on the beach and go walking in them.

I am very fussy bout my decks and these are by far the best I have found. Broad fitting, completely non marking ........etc.

Another vote for the Keens. Bought ours 3 years ago in the US and they are still going strong. They are foot shaped, broad, surprisingly warm on bare feet, great toe protection etc etc. Don't know about wearing them ashore as the razor cut sole (sipes?) tend to pick up grit. Now need to buy more pairs to wear when off the boat.

Scotty_Tradewind

Me: South Oxfordshire. Boat, Galicia NW Spain
Visit site
Been wearing these, good fit and seem to work

http://www.sailingclothingstore.co.uk/Marine_Footwear/Deck_Shoes/pr22730_im1.aspx

Not cheap though! Only buy when I can get a deal. Chatham also are a wide fit

Rather than spend all that money on Musto, I tend to buy at Sale time,Clarks 'Active Air' with GoreTex.

Something like this but at Sale price http://www.clarks.co.uk/find/product-is-20346578?cm_mmc=gbase-_-a-_-b-_-c

They have a terrific sole that doesn't pick up grit yet grips very well to GRP and teak.
I've had one pair for 3years and they've been in and out of salt water and the rinse cycle of the washing machine and still keep the water out as well as shining well with a spot of polish.

Burnham Bob

Visit site
might seem a little downmarket but have you thought of dunlop green flash tennis shoes? white soles that won't mark a deck, wonderful grip, dead comfortable without socks and less than £20 online and available i think in your size. plus being canvas they dry out quickly. i find mine more comfrtable than my deck shoes, and far cheaper to replace.

Ricd

Visit site
Best I have ever had were TBS...soft leather that even when wet is warm and soft sole that gives great grip but does wear....first apir I had i wore a hole in the sole.

nimbusgb

www.umfundi.com
Thanks for all the replies. Guess the 'trusted brands' really are worth the extra few bob but there are alternatives. I'll have to do a tour of the shops and try a few on for size and take it from there. the brand I bought must be one of the few that were totally useless!

I'm also a barefoot sailor on my own boat but Greece in summer is one thing; the Channel in Autumn/Winter is not the place for naked toes ( or anything else for that matter! )

Those decathlon ones look OK and I'm in Paris next week!

Hmm - Pair of Keen H2's in 12 on eBay £29.99 ------ Sold! Will do for summer!

Last edited:

Boathook

Visit site
The trouble with the Mustoes is that, in my experience, the rubber goes hard after a couple of seasons and comletely lose their grip.

My very old musto M1 sailing boats still grip well. The sole is some type of soft plastic so wears very quickly when I used ashore. in the summer I now wear crocs as much as possible otherwise a pair of Quayside breathable fabric boots. the soles on these are going hard and therefore becoming slippery.

dunedin

Visit site
For british weather and tenders, goretex lining is magic

So Dubarry Clipper goretex for me - and Dubbary goretex boots when the weather is bad - and Clarks goretex for travelling home
(Do I have a fetish? Didn't mention goretext oilskins and walking jacket)

Visit site
Perhaps more for the fairer weather, but I love my Sharxs http://marinedirectory.ybw.com/Marine_Directory/products/consumer/full_review.jsp?r_id=318&category_id=7

sharx_shoes.jpg

I often end up washing the car, walking the dog in the summer etc etc in them