Deck shoes - best ones?

huldah

Visit site
Deck Shoes

I bought a pair of Regatta deck shoes. Within weeks I had slipped down concrete steps. I then found the castelations were made of thin, hollow rubber. They had begun to break away from the shoe.

Never again!

alan_d

Visit site
PS Why on earth does this forum ban the word to55er? Is anyone here under 9 years old?

I suspect it is an off-the shelf sweary-filter as it objects to shit and crap but not bum, arse, cock or willy. You can say sod off and bugger off, but not bollocks. It is also easy to circumvent if you want to.

www.bavariayacht.info
You can say sod off and bugger off, but not bollocks. It is also easy to circumvent if you want to.

Clever :)

On the forum software I use on the Bavaria Forum, I had to specify which words I wanted to block, and whether to check whole words only.

Hmmm... I wonder if I can say Scunthorpe [later] so it only looks for full words then :D

Last edited:

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
I've been wearing Dek shoes on-board since I was 14. They are cheap, non-slip, non-marking, and dry quickly. Also, you don't look like a to55er in your leather "deck" shoes :D

PS Why on earth does this forum ban the word to55er? Is anyone here under 9 years old?
I am more interested in why you should think that the 90+% of people on this forum (including myself and SWMBO) who wear 'leather deck shoes' look like tossers? A bit controversial n'est pas?

blackbeard

Visit site
I've given up trying to find decent shoes in a shoe shop, but on land I wear leather deck shoes (bought when I can find reduced prices at chandlers/boat shows) for formal wear, even have a pair in black suitable weddings/funerals.
On the boat? Tatty old trainers retired from use as running shoes. Comfortable, practical, grippy.
Tightwad? Not me!

xeitosaphil

Visit site
I am more interested in why you should think that the 90+% of people on this forum (including myself and SWMBO) who wear 'leather deck shoes' look like tossers? A bit controversial n'est pas?

I'm with you John, on this one, another 'leather deck shoe' wearer. Surley the question here is, wear what you best feel comfortable and happy in, as long as it has good grip and fit for the purpose intended? Why is it that some, feel the need to slag off people who don't conform to their own personal choices?

Why is it that there are a many numbers of people in the sailing comunity, that are not really interested in the pleasures of sailing, but are more worried about what they are wearing , whether or not it is the latest fashion, or the dearest possible set of waterproofs?
This is probably why all the leading clothing manufacturers rub their hands together every January because they know they can add 20% to last years prices, and some people will buy it just to be seen out in it?

1st rant over, on this site ? Keen sailor, but by no means a fashion guru

www.bavariayacht.info

Possibly. My opinion is that leather deck shoes are ridiculous; totally impractical. As you say "90+%" of yacht sailors seem to wear them, as if they are some kind of uniform. Why not go the whole hog and get a Navy Captain's cap :)

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Possibly. My opinion is that leather deck shoes are ridiculous; totally impractical. As you say "90+%" of yacht sailors seem to wear them, as if they are some kind of uniform. Why not go the whole hog and get a Navy Captain's cap :)
Not sure that we are on the same wavelength here at all.

Firstly what is the connection between wearing a Navy Captains and your opinion of what people look like wearing deck shoes? Secondly, although some people wear odd and perhaps inappropriate clothing for fashion reasons or as a 'fad', I am not sure the popularity of deck shoes has anything much to do with fashion or fads. If they didn't work, then the boating public would walk away (sic) from them and wear something else. After all there are plenty of cheaper options available. I am not persuaded that the boat owning public are so gullible that they will continue to buy a product year after year that doesn't perform. Personally I find deck shoes comfortable and practical, but you obviously don't like them so I suspect I will not change your mind with my protests... Of course come people ponce about in the 'lastest fashionable yachting clothing'. Let them get on with it - and most people can spot the difference.

Last edited:

Ross D

Visit site
I have a pair of Timberland deck shoes which I was issued by the Navy when I joined, they were really comfy gripped well and have lasted years, which is probably why the Navy stopped issuing then in favour of a non branded rubbish design that fell apart and had no grip.

+1 for crocs although if you are a real cheapskate try world of clogs "woc" shoes, they're like crocs only cheaper:D.

Not tried the decathlon deck shoes but I have their foulies and they are excellent and hard wearing, in fact not had anything from them that wasn't good but cheap.

Personally for most sailing I have bare feet, they do get a bit chilly from time to time, but it makes putting on wooly socks and climbing into a sleeping bag even more appealing:)

Ross

Scotty_Tradewind

Me: South Oxfordshire. Boat, Galicia NW Spain
Visit site

As well as the Clarks leather with GoreTex shoes I mention above I also have a pair of Dubarry 'Clipper' leather deck shoes lined in GoreTex.
The leather does look a bit sad at times with salt marks etc but they have always kept the water out and after 6 years they are only just begining to have little grip left.
I suspect that a light rubbing over with 80grit on the soles would help that though. :).

If buying again, I think I'd go for mountain walking sandles for warmer weather for grip and water properties. However, I'm known for making things last so I bet I'm not shedding out on more yet!

Last edited:

Sulley

Visit site
Sebago - lovely and comfortable and great non slip soles, BUT only if purchased in the US as they are a ridiculous price here and about 50% off in the US.

Clarks - I brought a pair of their new leather technical boat shoes earlier this year, I just looked for them and they don't seem to do them anymore! :(

I like leather boat shoes as I don't like wearing socks and man-made ones get very smelly! I'm not doing it for being posy my feet like to be comfortable!!!

Stork_III

Visit site
Sebago - lovely and comfortable and great non slip soles, BUT only if purchased in the US as they are a ridiculous price here and about 50% off in the US.

Clarks - I brought a pair of their new leather technical boat shoes earlier this year, I just looked for them and they don't seem to do them anymore! :(

I like leather boat shoes as I don't like wearing socks and man-made ones get very smelly! I'm not doing it for being posy my feet like to be comfortable!!!
Are these them? http://www.clarks.co.uk/find/department-is-men/mcrproductsubtype-is-boatshoes

alan_d

Visit site

George Bernard Shaw wrote:
It is impossible for an Englishman to open his mouth without making some other Englishman hate or despise him.

Perhaps we should substitute "put on clothes or shoes" for "open his mouth".