Deck Officer Cadet Course - Can anyone help please?

at3283

Visit site
Hi all. I'm new here. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I was wondering if anyone is on (or has been on) a Deck Officer Cadet course? I'm thinking of applying, but have a few questions.

*Is there a maximum age? (I'm nearly 21)
*What is it like to live on board the ship (is it fun, hard, do you share a cabin etc)?
*Do you get a wage whilst on the course?
*During the 6 months sea-based training, do you get any 'holiday leave' (to go home etc)?
*I'm not very good at maths (however, I did get good GCSEs in other subjects, and I've been to college) - will this go against me?
*I'm female - are there many female cadet officers?

I'd be really grateful for any help anyone could give me. Even if you could direct me to the right place to ask these questions, would be a great help! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jack100

Visit site
Hi,

I am currently training to be a Deck Officer with P&O Nedlloyd, whilst studying for a BSc Degree at University of Plymouth. I get paid an allowance whilst at Uni - per term, and whilst at Sea. You need a minimum 12 months seatime before you can take the Officer of Watch (OOW) certificate, so my summer holidays are spent gaining the required seatime (plus a placement year between years 2-3 at uni) and Easter and Christmas holidays spent doing STCW courses such as fire fighting etc.

There are 2 routes - HND route and Degree route

Max age: Not sure, but 21 would seem fine to me

Whats it like on board: I work on Container ships, so I can only speak for myself - there isn't much to do but the cabins are very nice - get your own cabin and it is en suite. Of course all food is provided. Work is 7 days a week and can be very tiring.

You do get leave, calculated at one week per month whilst Cadet. Not sure what you mean by 6month Sea period?

Maths - depends which route you want to go down - for degree, you need to get a place at the university which normaly involves A-levels, one if which should be a Science based subject, but there is a maths module in year one to bring you 'up to speed'. I wouldnt let it put you off.

Your female - Doesn't matter, there arent many but no reason why it is a problem

Sorry for the long post, but any other questions I am more than happy to help. There is some advantages of training to become a Deck Officer, but like anything else, it does have its dissadvantages.

Equinox

www.ihatechavs.com
Hi

Companies do have an age limit and generally this is between 16-21 although it does vary and I have known of cadets to begin their training around your age. There was a report a few months ago of a cadet starting his training aged 40!

Life on board a ship is fairly mundane and boring and there is not much to do in your off watch time. Sometimes cadets have to share a cabin and I would say there is a 50/50 chance you might have to do this. However you would only ever be sharing with another female.

Cadets are sponsored by shipping companies, sometimes through training companies and again the payments can vary quite considerably. A cadet sponsored through a training company receives far less than a cadet sponsored through an oil major such as BP or Shell.

To apply for a cadetship you will need a few GCSE’s to your name at grade C or above and these include maths, physics and English. Some companies may be prepared to take you on with lower grades but in truth you will struggle with some of the navigational and stability calculations if your maths is weak.

There are other female cadet officers but they are largely outnumbered by male cadets. In a class of 20 cadets, 2-4 of those may be female. Many companies don’t really like taking on female cadets as females in general don’t stay at sea as long as males do for obvious reasons (eg wanting kids etc).

On a more general note I’m sorry to say that I cannot promote the merchant navy as a worthwhile career choice. The number of employment opportunities for British officers is dwindling at an alarming rate as shipping companies prefer to employ cheaper foreign labour. A few years ago the government introduced a tonnage tax scheme to attract shipping back to the red ensign. Part of the tonnage tax qualifying criteria meant that shipping companies would have to train a certain number of cadets relative to the total number of officers they employed onboard their ships.

The companies are now training cadets but there is no requirement for them to employ the cadets they have trained once they become qualified officers. This has led to a huge surplus of British junior officers unable to find employment or having to work for ‘international salaries’ (3rd World wages). Over 60% of officers on UK flagged ships are now foreign, some prepared to work for as little as 70 pence an hour so that is what you will be competing with for a job. The minimum wage does not apply to foreign seafarers serving on UK registered ships.

The tonnage tax is effectively a subsidy financed by the British tax payer and which allows the ship owner free reign over which nationality he chooses to employ on his UK registered ships. It has not created any jobs for British officers which is why I decided to hang up my sextant a few years ago and go to university, something I should have done 10 years ago!

Three years is a long time to spend in training only to end up on the dole queue. I would strongly advise you to look elsewhere for a career. If you have any further queries about the merchant navy as a career then please just ask.

Rowana

Two steps lower than the ships' cat
Visit site
Have a look here -

http://www.bpshipping.com/careers/index.html

I spent over 6 years with bp tankers, although that was in the engine room, and about 35 years ago !

I'm STILL working for bp, but on the offshore oil & gas platform side. We have quite a few ex-merchant navy engineers working for us, but not many deck officers.

Engineering is a transferrable discipline, but what else can a navigator do?

Taggy

Visit site
My son signed on with the RFA in September 2003, although he is undertaking the Engineering Route. The course for both lasts for three years with the college training at Tyneside. There are a number of female cadets training as Deck and Engineering officers. My son is enjoying his time and certainly did not find the sea time mundane there again the role of the RFA working with the RN does make the company unique amongst the Merchant Fleet.

Cath

Visit site
hi! I am a female cadet who is about halfway through her cadetship. I am absolutately loving the course and sea experience. In my opinion, it was a brilliant choice and I would higly recommend it!

Life onboard is like nothing you will have ever experienced or imagined and how you enjoy it depends very much on the effort you make. Things can get into a routine, but I found that there was always something a bit unexpected and different happening. Everyday brings a new challenge. If you make the effort to have a good time and fit in you definitely will and I'm sure you'll really enjoy it. I had a lot of fun. I've had my own cabin. Life on board can be a challenge but I find it rewarding and exciting. Also consider if you think you'll get homesick!

Generally you'll be paid for the duration of your cadetship. The amount very much depends on the company who sponsor you. You should research companies very carefully, I know a few people who haven't had much luck with their company, thankfully I think I'm with a super company!

I've found that maths comes up again and again. But, don't be put off by it. If you really want to do this, you can get through it.

As for being female, well, it's fine, I haven't encountered many problems. I think as long as you remember you are entering a male dominated career and are prepared to cope with some of the problems that this can bring I can't see any problems. I've, so far, been treated with the greatest respect and have had no problems.

I love what I do and I can't wait until I am qualified. I think, despite all it's problems, this is a great career with good prospects for euthusiastic young people. Go for it!! Have a go at it, I'm sure you won't regret it! Good luck with it!