Decisions Decisions

Greg2

Visit site
I love my 80’s Broom but you won’t find any velvet or flock. I do have a brown sink in one of the heads but I can live with that.
Brooms work great inland because most are fairly shallow draft and low airdraft. The aft deck/command bridge is far better protected than a flybridge boat for Irish weather. The only benefit I see to a flybridge boat is the rear access and extra storage in the lazarette.
I recently had a beer on a Princess with a friend and was surprised at the noise in the bow area with a slight bit of chop outside. I have never had that issue in an aft cabin boat.

There is a lot to love about Brooms, despite what oldgit would have one believe! ?

We have owned an Ocean 37 and a Broom 41 and both were very well built and comfortable boats. Our 41 was a bit of a climb from a pontoon but the cockpit was excellent and moored stern in there was the option to board via the bathing platform and a small ladder and steps.

scottie

Visit site
Volvo were credited to bringing the ist viable out drive to market
According to “the mouse that roared” a kiefhaver? (Mercury outboards) employee built the prototype but his employer would not put it into production

oldgit

Visit site
A real benefit of being in boat club with 100 boats on the pontoons.
Most of the the owners are to mean to employ somebody else to repair their boat, therefore ...

...you do get to see spread out on the pontoon just about every problem imaginable to afflict the average boat owner and a few you could not imagime.
Outdrives certainly lead this sad display by a country kilometre,.
Engine cooling problems on the Volvo Penta 60/70 range not that far behind.Mind you loads of boats have these engines.
Both a F33 and a S43 got rid off due to outdrive grief, in the case of the S43 the final bill ,paid for by insurance, was well over £20K.The owner stumped up £5K.
He is now searching round for nice shaft driven Princess 420, which unfortunate, cos I fancy one of those too. :(
Remarkably few ECU woes to date .
Access usually is the joke.
Recently the skipper of a Turbo 36 heard a loud bang from somewhere within the bowels of the boat. Eventually after much searching with a torch and mirrors, it was discovered the exhaust hose had blown off the riser.
Carpet, then panelling was removed, then the stairs, finally a panel was cut out in the glass fibre to enable access to the problem.
Somebody had already cut holes in the shower tray to find the stern tubes on this boat.. :)
Grimmest revelation so far, the ability to actually see the engines on a Prestige 36. Took one look under the floor and walked away.

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
Grimmest revelation so far, the ability to actually see the engines on a Prestige 36. Took one look under the floor and walked away.
Of course, one of the benefits of (some) outdrive boats is that engine access is somewhat less torturous ... ;) Excellent all round on mine. In fact, exemplary.

Shifty

Visit site
A real benefit of being in boat club with 100 boats on the pontoons.
Most of the the owners are to mean to employ somebody else to repair their boat, therefore ...

...you do get to see spread out on the pontoon just about every problem imaginable to afflict the average boat owner and a few you could not imagime.
Outdrives certainly lead this sad display by a country kilometre,.
Engine cooling problems on the Volvo Penta 60/70 range not that far behind.Mind you loads of boats have these engines.
Both a F33 and a S43 got rid off due to outdrive grief, in the case of the S43 the final bill ,paid for by insurance, was well over £20K.The owner stumped up £5K.
He is now searching round for nice shaft driven Princess 420, which unfortunate, cos I fancy one of those too. :(
Remarkably few ECU woes to date .
Recently the skipper of a Turbo 36 heard a loud bang from somewhere within the bowels of the boat. Eventually after much searching with a torch and mirrors, it was discovered the exhaust hose had blown off the riser.
Carpet, then panelling was removed, then the stairs, finally a panel was cut out in the glass fibre to enable access to the problem.
Somebody had already cut holes in the shower tray to find the stern tubes on this boat.. :)
Sorry to be pedantic but the S43 only came with shafts!

oldgit

Visit site
"That's a 42 not a 420. "

Now narrowed down to a UK based 40 or 420.
Unfortunately the only one on the market is of course miles away Oop north of Watford.:(
EU boats all look to be excluded from the list for obvious reasons.

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
"That's a 42 not a 420. "

Now narrowed down to a UK based 40 or 420.
Unfortunately the only one on the market is of course miles away Oop north of Watford.:(
EU boats all look to be excluded from the list for obvious reasons.
There's a 40 at Hartlepool, is that the one you mean? And a 420 just gone under offer with Tingdene.