Deben speed limits

Debennut

Visit site
Oh no! The season has only just started!
Would the gentleman in a large motor cruiser please explain, why he overtook me just before Shottisham creek, towards the rocks, making, I would say, about 12 knots? He was no more than 10 metres from me? Apart from the obvious, dangerous consequenses, of passing so closely, was'nt he exceeding the speed limit?
The river there was quiet, there was plenty of water for him to pass me at a safe distance.
The time was around 1400 last Saturday.
Rant over.

Last edited:

johnalison

Visit site
Par for the course these days, I’m afraid. It is only rarely that an afternoon at the Rocks is not punctuated by at least one planing boat. For the miscreant the only Important factor is whether he gets away with it. Your feelings don’t come into it.

Leighb

Visit site
Speed limit is 8 knots “Above the Waterski area” not clear if that is through the water or over the ground? That could make a fair difference on a spring tide. I am surprised that it is not a lower limit such as the 6 knots on the Orwell. However at 8 knots most Motor boats will be making a lot of wash as they will be digging their stern in and not planing yet. I try to stick to 6 or less, much less through Ramsholt and Waldringfield moorings. In any case I would not pass that close.

alandalus11

Visit site
Unfortunately me thinks we are going to see more and more of this behaviour where people have bought boats as caravans during the pandemic and now feel they want to get out on the water and don't have a clue about navigation, speed limits et al.

Debenair

Visit site
I once remonstrated with a motorboat passing our then mooring opposite the Arms, who responded that his engines were on tickover only and he could not go any slower. And that his tiny rudders gave no steerage at under 6 knots. He could of course have remedied the first by proceeding under single engine, but the second..........
Pirouettes at the Rocks seem to be the norm, but I recall waterskiers amongst 40 or 50 anchored boats off Osea in the ‘60s. Plus ca change.......

johnalison

Visit site
They have problems sometimes on the Orwell, but the river is large enough to absorb it to some extent, and miscreants are sometimes apprehended. I believe that the Deben has a bailiff, but clearly his facilities are too limited.

Greg2

Visit site
I once remonstrated with a motorboat passing our then mooring opposite the Arms, who responded that his engines were on tickover only and he could not go any slower. And that his tiny rudders gave no steerage at under 6 knots. He could of course have remedied the first by proceeding under single engine, but the second..........
Pirouettes at the Rocks seem to be the norm, but I recall waterskiers amongst 40 or 50 anchored boats off Osea in the ‘60s. Plus ca change.......

Some planing hulled mobos with twin engines don't work well on one engine in terms of steerage and keeping it in a straight line. What is possible is to slip them in and out of gear when passing moored boats, which is what I tend to do where necessary.

Debennut

Visit site
They have problems sometimes on the Orwell, but the river is large enough to absorb it to some extent, and miscreants are sometimes apprehended. I believe that the Deben has a bailiff, but clearly his facilities are too limited.
Last Saturday I heard Harwich VTS telling a motorboat, at the Harwich shelf buoy, to slow down to the 8 knot speed limit.

Aquaboy

Visit site
Volunteer have started patrols again ......often with the new boat Last Orders... They listen on 16 so always worth a shout. They might be near enough to hear in which case they may go and have a word.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Volunteer have started patrols again ......often with the new boat Last Orders... They listen on 16 so always worth a shout. They might be near enough to hear in which case they may go and have a word.

I dont think Volunteer or indeed Last Orders has any authority at all in this regard. They may assume some authority but I think it would be just that assumed. They are primarily a private life boat

Bigplumbs

Visit site
I am in no way agreeing with irresponsible speeding but I think it is worth mentioning that in certain months of the year there is actually no speed limit at all on the Deben. I know these are the winter months but not sure when it starts and ends

johnalison

Visit site
I am in no way agreeing with irresponsible speeding but I think it is worth mentioning that in certain months of the year there is actually no speed limit at all on the Deben. I know these are the winter months but not sure when it starts and ends
Ignorance of the law is never an excuse. It is the responsibility of those taking to the water (or roads) to know the rules.

Leighb

Visit site
I have just had another look at the HHA Yachting Guide, I had not previously noticed that the speed limits on the Deben were seasonal, it states May to September, one assumes inclusive? This would suggest that it would be legal to blast up the river at 20Kts or more until the end of this month!! All the other rivers have year round limits, so why is the Deben different?

jaydee1976

Visit site
saw someone decide to cut the corner at woodbridge the other day...till they beached themself on the sand bar there...
I do notice its usually motorboats which create a big wash and at lower tide it creates some big waves which I do notice a lot

Bigplumbs

Visit site
I have just had another look at the HHA Yachting Guide, I had not previously noticed that the speed limits on the Deben were seasonal, it states May to September, one assumes inclusive? This would suggest that it would be legal to blast up the river at 20Kts or more until the end of this month!! All the other rivers have year round limits, so why is the Deben different?

I think the speed limits start on the 1st may but not 100 % sure

pks1702

Visit site
Last Saturday I heard Harwich VTS telling a motorboat, at the Harwich shelf buoy, to slow down to the 8 knot speed limit.

I saw a couple on Saturday one continued up river toward Levington at about 15 knots, one came into Shotley even planing to with 200metres of the lock but was not local. He even decided to continue to create a wash after exiting the lock into the marina - sigh!

It is really not about all about speed but wash and this can be pronouced with a semi displacement Mobo punching a strong tide even if inside any speed limit, so minding you wash is the key as much if not more than speed. No matter what craft there are always those that being kind are oblivious and self centred; it is not the craft as much as what is on the end of the throttles or tiller.