Deben entrance

Johnah

Visit site
Hi John and Leighb,

Most of pass an hour or two or three before HW, but best to remember where the knolls are.

The photo below was taken yesterday at LW Harwich 0.7m. The buoys are in their 2021 positions.

There will be more to reveal at spring tide in a couple of weeks.

John

DJI_0308 (2000 x 1500).jpg

Chae_73

Visit site
are good......fishermans cut looks more usable this year.........
I walked down at about an hour after low water this morning. Tide was flowing in strongly through the cut, but I still think one would have to be quite brave to attempt it in a keel boat. Not much room for error.

I guess if the flows continue as they are now, that could become the main entrance.
IMG_20210414_091727.jpg

Last edited:

Leighb

Visit site
This information from John White was sent out by our club today. Looks useful to know.

Deben Entrance
We moved the buoyage at the Deben entrance yesterday, the bar has moved to the south and to the west. This means that when leaving the river you have no sight of the buoyage until you are well down past the rocks on the west side. There is a beacon on the beach about 100yds past the last of the rocks and there is a shallow patch of about 1mt L W springs when you get to be abreast of that. You may then head for the Mid Kno l buoy passing it on it's correct side. The bar is very shallow from the Knoll Spit until West Knoll at the moment, probably only 0.7mts.
Hope this is all clear but will hopefully have new chartlet in the next week or so.

John White, Harbour Master Felixstowe Ferry 14/04/21

Adios

Visit site
Yeah very droll. Standard clause on such documents, daft really. The chartlet is signed off by Trinity House anyway.
I doubt it would stand up in court as an arse covering clause as it is de-facto undoubtedly intended and offered to people to be used for navigation. It has no other function.

Adios

Visit site
Possibly not. I seem to recall that Navionics charts include the same clause.....
What it might do is put people off trying to take some legal action in the first place. So might be worth the cost of ink. But they really take pains to make the valid point that the bar will have changed by the time they publish it as it changes constantly. Won't be their fault. I look forward to having a low tide explore around there soon

Chae_73

Visit site
The chartlet and the repositioned bouys are undoubtedly the best guide to entry or exit, combined with an eye on the depth sounder and a conservative view of the depths against chart datum.

Unless there has been a significant storm since the survey, it's likely to be good enough.