Deben entrance

Simi

Visit site
There is a goo video on YouTube from a drone at low water it may have changed a little but it does give an excellent view and you can see where you need to be

Bigplumbs

Visit site
I am Sure My Friend JohnR will make another Drone Video this year at Low water. If not now the lock down has eased I will nip up and make one myself

Johnah

Visit site
Yes am on the case. I took the above photo at LWS when the Harwich tide gauge was showing virtually 0.0m. It was exceptionally low, with the old Walton Castle showing well, but at least the bar was still covered.

When the buoys are re-positioned, then I will take a new video plus photos.

John

tillergirl

Visit site
Definitely NOT too far off shore. You should buy a copy of Suffolk Estuary by W G Arnott. His research of the Deben might be 1950s but it is very accurate. He has a number of hand drawn maps that show the difference in the last 1200 years.

Chalk

Visit site
can't see much TBH, the mounds are a bit far off shore aren't they? Great website though, shame it doesn't have the most recent OS maps but still very good
The NLS is a great resource. The old 25" to 1 mile maps particularly. If you want up to date OS, a subscription to the OS is cheap.

nortada

Visit site
Yes am on the case. I took the above photo at LWS when the Harwich tide gauge was showing virtually 0.0m. It was exceptionally low, with the old Walton Castle showing well, but at least the bar was still covered.

When the buoys are re-positioned, then I will take a new video plus photos.

John

What photo❓

Ah #11 - got it?

Johnah

Visit site
Hi nortada, I was referring to the photo in the East Coast Pilot link at the top.

Here it is again plus a couple of others. Note how the bar is getting closer to the shore and to the Walton Fort.

The photos were taken early morning on March 31st at LWS when the Harwich tide gauge read almost 0m.

As of yesterday the buoys were still in the 2020 positions but will be repositioned soon.

John

Attachments

• DJI_0300 (2000 x 1500).jpg
    DJI_0300 (2000 x 1500).jpg
    675.3 KB · Views: 127
  • DJI_0303 (2000 x 1500).jpg
    DJI_0303 (2000 x 1500).jpg
    593.1 KB · Views: 132
  • DJI_0305 (2000 x 1500).jpg
    DJI_0305 (2000 x 1500).jpg
    629.7 KB · Views: 117

Cantata

Visit site
As Johnah says, the buoys will be repositioned soon - should be during next week, we understand.
When they've been done, we will publish the new Trinity House survey chartlet on the ECP website.
In the meantime, the Ore entrance buoys have been laid in their new postions, again following the new survey, and Imray's chartlet from that survey is now available on the ECP website, as usual on the Downloads page.

Adios

Visit site
I crewed on a boat coming from London to the Deben (pre smartphone days) and insisted we phone ahead and get the latest directions. The owner who didn't know the way it is there thought I was being a bit over cautious. If I was still in touch I'd send him this photo :ROFLMAO:
2021-04-10_165602.jpg

englishrobs

Visit site
I crewed on a boat coming from London to the Deben (pre smartphone days) and insisted we phone ahead and get the latest directions. The owner who didn't know the way it is there thought I was being a bit over cautious. If I was still in touch I'd send him this photo :ROFLMAO:
View attachment 113262
Love this river but I always breathe an inner sigh of relief once I’m safely in or out.

Other threads that may be of interest