Death of a fine vessel?

halcyon

Visit site
;1065118 said:
Heart braking that is, mind you a plywood patch and a bit of canvas would keep her afloat and slow the deteration a bit? possibly a couple of temporary beaching legs to keep her upright?

I wonder who owns her? he must be out for lunch! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Charlie.

Without reading all the posts, she has been there for years, the hole was repaired and she was level and afloat, during the winter the repair failed.

Do a search on the forum, around 5 years ago there is a thread with details of boat.

Brian

arjohn

Visit site
an excellent set of pics and at the same time quite sad, amazing to see the searchlight is still in situ--!

Megiddo

Visit site
I am not a sailor myself, but in the early 90's I was cruising the Aegean Sea on the Andvari for about 3 weeks. At that time, the boat was owned by Alexander MacLeod, a wartime hero, who was a friend of mine. You can find information about him here, including a photograph of the Andvari when it was in good shape, and one photograph showing Alex at the bridge of Andvari:
http://elgreco.pagesperso-orange.fr/macleod.htm

Macleod died in 1996, and I think he had sold his yacht at that time already. It makes me sad to see his ship devastated. Does somebody know what happened with the ship after 2006?

fisherman

Visit site
BEWARE!! Very old thread! Death of a fine vessel.

The boat is still there, I was having a coffee in the café opposite last week. No doubt she could be floated even now, but a real labour of love.

milltech

www.iTalkFM.com
Re: BEWARE!! Very old thread! Death of a fine vessel.

As a sad update to this thread which I started way back when with photos of the Herd and Mackenzie "Andvari", my avatar is of me in the wheelhouse of another Herd and Mackenzie, Andrea Ferrara, (formerly Moss Ross, originally Marandi (more than one started with this name including Andvari).

I loved her and had good times aboard but the sobering truth was she was too expansive to keep when times turned a little hard. Occasionally I would google her in the hope of seeing where she is and how she is. I did this last week, and sorry to say this was what I found https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voycWSEU8u8

There's a good deal of sadness around here, and also maybe some anger as she was abandoned in Pollensa Bay around 2011. Beyond my understanding.

burgundyben

Visit site

John

I remember your fondness of the Herd and Mackenzie very well, at times over the years I have been tempted by boats of that ilk, but looking back, after 20 years of wooden boats, I am pleased now to have switched to plastic although I still have a Huntsman not yet sold.

On a brighter note for you, my records of Fairey boats for Uno Too say Milltech on YBW, she was last seen by me on Spring 2015 in Hamble looking good.

milltech

www.iTalkFM.com

That's good to know. Am tempted by one my smaller old boats, Uno Too certainly, also the lifeboat Baltic Air. These days I'm living by the Severn in Worcester, got a mooring but no boat.

burgundyben

Visit site

That's good to know. Am tempted by one my smaller old boats, Uno Too certainly, also the lifeboat Baltic Air. These days I'm living by the Severn in Worcester, got a mooring but no boat.

I could help you out with a smashing Huntsman.

[2068]

Visit site

I loved her and had good times aboard but the sobering truth was she was too expansive to keep when times turned a little hard. Occasionally I would google her in the hope of seeing where she is and how she is. I did this last week, and sorry to say this was what I found

There's a good deal of sadness around here, and also maybe some anger as she was abandoned in Pollensa Bay around 2011. Beyond my understanding.

I can see that as a former owner, that must have been a very unfortunate discovery.
But as someone who never that attachment, there is a sort of sad beauty in that video: the light waters, the fish using it as an artificial reef, the divers exploring, etc.