Dear KArl, re:New Scuttlebutt

G

DEar Karl,
Yes the new Scuttlebutt is much better. Me the old fart immediately missed what we had before but, now that I am mucking about in the new version, I am beginning to like it better. I hope the security aspect is also better. Thanks anyway...

incognito

N/A
Visit site
Ugh!!

Come on Kim, even you must be appalled at the lack of contentious argument on the BB now!! Of course, we don't want people posting nasty stuff in other's names, but we don't really want a sanitised plastic toilet, either!! OK, OK, OK, you've not done an appalling job, but let's stamp out this creepycrawly stuff.

bobnewbury

www.sailblogs.com
Re: Credit where it\'s due.

Being a wishy washy liberal I agree with both of you. The problem is, Incognito me old chum, that you have confused the content and the medium.

The medium is much improved. The board is now more flexible and adaptable. The content isn't, as yet, a patch on the old scuttlebut, but that is the responsibility of the contributors (including you and me) and not of those running the board.

Pearl harbour is technically superb, but it's still a crap film.

Perhaps I'll ask about recipes again.

kimhollamby

www.kimhollamby.com
Ooooph!

Writing as the former editor of a motorboat magazine. There, is that a lot less wishy (and a lot more washy) for you? :)

Be my guest, have a good barny (as long as you don't walk me into court) but do let me say thanks occasionally.

ps started my boating in Miracle, Dufour, Westerly and Moody so I guess am partially redeemed for my motorboating sins?

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Time of the year

Maybe more people post during the winter when there's s#d all else to do and the nights are long dreary and cold.
The new format took me a while to get used to but seems a big improvement on the old version.

G

I fid it very difficult to agree with everybody. My comment was essentially on the FORM and the thecnical aspect of the new Scuttlebutt. When it comes to its content; WE MAKE IT WHAT IT IS.
I consider Scuttlebutt as a medium where I learn some new things, get information, link up with new people etc. AND, to be sure, to get involved in discussions/argumentations on subjects of interest. However, I am not for; getting engaged in some rat-race with vile individuals. Having said that, I am not for; censorship simply on the basis that what one says is not agreeable to the keeper of the house. That would be very dictatorial indeed.
An idea: If someone turns out to be vile, particularly abnoxious or totally out of order, then it should be possible for the contributors to vote him/her out through some means of voting -after a brief discussion over it. And, if such a decision is reached then the keeper of the house can disbar such unwanteds.
Anyway, I haven't seen the film "Pearl Harbour". From what I gather I haven't the slightest inclination to do so either. Why do these people make such movies. I have a nasty feeling that there is a nasty reason behind this. Not just make money -through the film, I mean. They are building a public opinion to eventually drive people into a new WAR. I think it is made to serve a particular purpose of desing. I rather see people making films like "Dances With The Wolves" than the "World harbour".

duncan

Visit site

!I couldn't disagree with you more!

How would you feel if a group of people (invited or not) turned up on your boat and decided amongst themselves - without involving you, and against your (better) judgement, things that had a material impact on you and your life.

If you wan't an uncensored, uncontrolled board then feel free to set one up yourself - no big deal technically or financially.

People arrive at these boards for a reason - well documented - and stay because they like the people they meet, and feel comfortable to join in. If this is threatened then the 'owners' have a responsibility to take action.

doris

Visit site
Someboby must be missing the plot. The original BB was a hoot and I checked it when ever I could. Now it has become a site for the anoracks and nerds. Come back KvT or whatever it took to give the orig some sparkle. Even a garden gnome would die of boredom reading this lot everyday. Things on the old BB used to get mentioned in the real world, not anymore. RIP

doris

Visit site
Re: Time of the year

Get yourself a bit of fluf to keep yourself warm anf you will find that winter nights wizz bye. Then you will have the energy to play with your screen in the summer nights when you can spare the electricity from your blanket.

G

I am of the opinion that boaties are NOT blinkered people who know and talk about nothing but boats sailing etc. But a person who chooses to live aboard or use his boat for brief pleasures is one who choses a particular lifestyle. This does not mean to say that this person is far removed from the happenings in the "real" world. Hence, to test the waters I started a thred on Jill Dando killing. Lets see the opinionated people express themselves. I don't know if you'll be interested in the subject matter???

BrianJ

Visit site

Do you have a soapbox ?
I hear the Pommies are looking for an opposition leader, ever thought of standing ?
Can you play cricket ? might get a game there also.
I like the new format, it takes a while to eplore but once mastered is like going in to that new harbour ,.. with confidence
Brianj

G

Well, I rose to your bait didn't I. You want controversy, here it is.

It seems to my simple way of thinking that you are a couple of links short of an anchor rode if you think that a sailing forum is the place to discuss 'real world' issues. There are plenty of current affairs places for this.

Or are you one of those sad individuals who look at life through yacht-tinted glasses?

Chris Enstone, Rival Spirit

G

Re: Not much

I hate to be pedantic but you can get plastic Miracles as well - still sails like a dog though

G

sailing dogs

Do you mean a dog with sails added in as a form of transport. Or do you mean a dog as skipper or crew.