Day Skipper looking for mileage opportunities

Harepark

Visit site
Hi, I’m Richard. I have recently acquired my day skipper licence, and looking to get a few more sailing miles under my belt. I live in the midlands and have my own transport to get to and from UK ports where required, however I’m happy to take the odd plane here and there too to get to or from a trip. I work as an engineer for a well known 4x4 auto manufacturer, and have a career path including being an vehicle mechanic for many years.
My work means that it would be difficult to commit to long voyages, however my weekends are mostly free, and I have no problem maybe taking a couple of days away from work for example either side of a weekend. I am willing to pay my way of course, expenses etc.
Hi,Richard,I have a small yacht,about 8to9 metres that I want to move to another marina. I’ve completed competant crew but unfortunately Covid has got in the way of day skipper for now. If your interested I’d like some crew to help me Move my boat. I am extremely flexible on dates so weekends or weekdays would be fine. Sailing would be south coast of uk and could be done at various stages. Feel free to contact me on 07977 108643.All the best Jerry. Or what’s your emai,mine is jerrylarner@yahoo.co.uk.

TrickyD

Visit site
Hi,Richard,I have a small yacht,about 8to9 metres that I want to move to another marina. I’ve completed competant crew but unfortunately Covid has got in the way of day skipper for now. If your interested I’d like some crew to help me Move my boat. I am extremely flexible on dates so weekends or weekdays would be fine. Sailing would be south coast of uk and could be done at various stages. Feel free to contact me on 07977 108643.All the best Jerry. Or what’s your emai,mine is jerrylarner@yahoo.co.uk.
Hi Harepark,
Thanks for getting in touch. Will send you a mail.
Richard

Bi111ion

Visit site
Richard did you manage to find any crewing? I think there was some good advice on this thread, eg local sailing clubs (that has been my best way to find crew, even an inland sailing club)., the Cruising Association Crewing Service. I have not tried findacrew but it looks worth a try. I am hoping to be coast hopping Humber to Cornwall in 2021, and will only be looking for crew if pandemic rules are relaxed. I got a taste for single handing this summer, but I prefer to sail with my wife or a bunch of friends, or sometimes people who are soon to be friends (I dont like to say strangers!) . Again if pandemic conditions allow we are contemplating a passage to the Canary Isles from Cornwall. If any of this goes ahead I will post on YBW and CA crewfinder and maybe Findacrew too, but first of all I will ask around my local sailing club!

TrickyD

Visit site
Richard did you manage to find any crewing? I think there was some good advice on this thread, eg local sailing clubs (that has been my best way to find crew, even an inland sailing club)., the Cruising Association Crewing Service. I have not tried findacrew but it looks worth a try. I am hoping to be coast hopping Humber to Cornwall in 2021, and will only be looking for crew if pandemic rules are relaxed. I got a taste for single handing this summer, but I prefer to sail with my wife or a bunch of friends, or sometimes people who are soon to be friends (I dont like to say strangers!) . Again if pandemic conditions allow we are contemplating a passage to the Canary Isles from Cornwall. If any of this goes ahead I will post on YBW and CA crewfinder and maybe Findacrew too, but first of all I will ask around my local sailing club!
Hi Bi111ion,
Yes I have had success. It has been a strange year to be looking to get out, but in actual fact this forum has put me in touch with more boat owners than any of the other methods including Crewbay.
I have been in touch with my local cruising association who are looking to do more next year (Covid permitting).
Please get in touch as and when you have made a decision regarding next year, hopefully we can help each other.
Regards Rich

Slowboat35

Visit site
Am I alone in being thoroughly alarmed that anyone who has done a dayskipper qualification and regards it as a "Licence"?

That, in my humble opinion, is truly alarming.

There is something horribly, fundamentally screwed-up in the RYA system if they have gotten so far above their remit as to allow or lead trainees to understand/believe fantasy like this, or for those trainees to get this astonishing idea into their head and not find that everyone around them puts it right out again in short order?

Last edited:

stranded

Visit site
Am I alone in being thoroughly alarmed that anyone who has done a dayskipper qualification and regards it as a "Licence"?

That, in my humble opinion, is truly alarming.

There is something horribly, fundamentally screwed-up in the RYA system if they have gotten so far above their remit as to allow or lead trainees to understand/believe fantasy like this, or for those trainees to get this astonishing idea into their head and not find that everyone around them puts it right out again in short order?

It rather looks like you are...

Judithsails

Visit site
Rich: Glad to read your found some sailing opportunities. You can also try Phoenix Yacht Club which is a non commercial club but like everything at present in hibernation waiting for covid to clear.
Other members travel from the midlands to the base in Gosport. It’s not free but is affordable and you pay by the berth and day.
Happy sailing (when we can)

TrickyD

Visit site
Rich: Glad to read your found some sailing opportunities. You can also try Phoenix Yacht Club which is a non commercial club but like everything at present in hibernation waiting for covid to clear.
Other members travel from the midlands to the base in Gosport. It’s not free but is affordable and you pay by the berth and day.
Happy sailing (when we can)
Thanks Judithsails for the tip. I have been and looked at their website, it is a good idea, and appears to be quite reasonable. I guess I will give it a month or so (as you say when we can) and give them a call. Thanks again, Rich

Claret73

Visit site
Richard. You look local(ish) to me as I live in South Birmingham. I'm looking to begin my journey of sailing and would be good to chat with you regarding your route to your RYA certificates etc. I do need to make some form of an introductory post, but is there a way of messaging forum users direct? I look forward to speaking to you. Andrew

TrickyD

Visit site
Richard. You look local(ish) to me as I live in South Birmingham. I'm looking to begin my journey of sailing and would be good to chat with you regarding your route to your RYA certificates etc. I do need to make some form of an introductory post, but is there a way of messaging forum users direct? I look forward to speaking to you. Andrew
Hi Claret73,
I tried to send you a pm, but i had a message to tell me I am unable to pm you right now. I guess it is due to being a newbie, and the associated rights you have for now.
They are a good bunch on here, and have offered me lots of advice, most of which I’ve followed. If you want to start a thread I will contribute if that would help, or else you could periodically check your ability to send a pm?
Regards Rich

Claret73

Visit site
Thanks Richard?? I’ll look to start a thread and keep my eye on the PM status. Yes, this looks full of information so will be using the forums wisely.

Galwayj

Visit site
Hi, I’m Richard. I have recently acquired my day skipper licence, and looking to get a few more sailing miles under my belt. I live in the midlands and have my own transport to get to and from UK ports where required, however I’m happy to take the odd plane here and there too to get to or from a trip. I work as an engineer for a well known 4x4 auto manufacturer, and have a career path including being an vehicle mechanic for many years.
My work means that it would be difficult to commit to long voyages, however my weekends are mostly free, and I have no problem maybe taking a couple of days away from work for example either side of a weekend. I am willing to pay my way of course, expenses etc.

DignityDan

Visit site
Good Morning

We have recently bought a 26ft Sailboat in Portland and have to sail her up to the Humber On Friday 26th May. It would be me and my friend and yourself if you fancy it? Let me know ASAP as obviously time is of the essence
Thanks
Danny