Day Skipper looking for mileage opportunities

TrickyD

Visit site
Hi, I’m Richard. I have recently acquired my day skipper licence, and looking to get a few more sailing miles under my belt. I live in the midlands and have my own transport to get to and from UK ports where required, however I’m happy to take the odd plane here and there too to get to or from a trip. I work as an engineer for a well known 4x4 auto manufacturer, and have a career path including being an vehicle mechanic for many years.
My work means that it would be difficult to commit to long voyages, however my weekends are mostly free, and I have no problem maybe taking a couple of days away from work for example either side of a weekend. I am willing to pay my way of course, expenses etc.

newtothis

Visit site
[Content removed]
Good one, Sharky, haha aren't you clever and all-knowing. Great way to encourage more people on to these boards and into sailing; tell someone who is obviously new and making their first post that they have made a mistake.
Don't know what it is about people on these boards who seem to get more pleasure out of knocking people back than offering a hand up.
To Richard: good luck and don't worry about the odd curmudgeons here who like to declaim their questionable experience by sucking the sour lemons of jargon and arcane language.
One thing I would suggest is getting in touch with a local (i.e. within driving distance from the Midlands :) ) sailing club; you might be able to get some weekend racing crew work, which is a place to start. There is also the boatbuddies website, but I've not used it so can't vouch for it.
There are also paid for sites like crewseeker etc that may suit your needs.

Last edited by a moderator:

TrickyD

Visit site
To newtothis, thanks for your words of encouragement. I really appreciate them. Actually you’ve come up with an idea I didn’t think about. I’ve just been online and strangely seems there is a club quite local to me, who would have thought it. I will contact them. Thanks again.

Sharky34, noted.

newtothis

Visit site
[Content removed]
There was nothing in the OP's post that indicated he thought he was entitled to anything. He says he's new to sailing and is asking for information. You just wanted to show off how clever you were. Of course, you've never made a mistake in your life and were born with a full working knowledge of every yacht ever built. But you couldn't even come up with a simple suggestion to help out a new fellow sailor. That's sad.

Ningaloo

Northern summers on Primal otherwise Perth WA
yacht-primal.com
I would also suggest CrewBay or Findacrew to find skippers (like myself) who need an extra person aboard from time to time. I am happy to take people with limited experience but plenty of enthusiasm and enjoy sharing my passion for sailing
CrewBay can seem a bit hit and miss and it's difficult to search. Findacrew has excellent search but one party (either the crew or boat owner) needs to be a paid member to allow exchange of messages. I use both and pay for Findacrew for a month when I have a specific need.
Unfortunately with winter approaching and CV19 making travel difficult there is not much on offer at present but you might still make some useful contacts for next year.

newtothis

Visit site
Talk amongst yourself, Sharky. You're your only audience.
I'm sure you'll be back for a petty last word, but I've made my point and am out.
Meanwhile, I hope the OP finds some sailing opportunities with some people willing to help him out.

Reactions: RJJ

NotBirdseye

Visit site
To newtothis, thanks for your words of encouragement. I really appreciate them. Actually you’ve come up with an idea I didn’t think about. I’ve just been online and strangely seems there is a club quite local to me, who would have thought it. I will contact them. Thanks again.

Sharky34, noted.

TrickyD, welcome to the YBW, it can be a rough crowd here sometimes but most of us are quite friendly.... if overly pedantic. You may wish to inquire with a sailing instructor whether they have any contacts nearby.

Uricanejack

Visit site
A DS licence (yes I know but who cares) with time served 4 x 4 auto mech.
Not that he is asking
If a candidate with the same CV is fit enough to walk through the door with a valid medical I’d hire him on the spot. And probably pay more than the well know 4 x 4 manufacturing.
since most we’ll known 4 x 4 also come with a diesel option. Owners of big shinny boats who have paid pro crew would probably offer quickly.
Im sure when the currant social climate improves. There will be plenty of friendly sailors who would be happy to make friends.

good luck hope it works out

Aurai

Visit site
Bromsgrove Boaters have a minimal annual membership fee and organise charter weekends and longer trips. All good fun, very welcoming to me and they have a development path from crew/mate/skipper to follow if you have ambition. Good luck. With only one proviso, CV19 is thwarting most of their activity at present, but we do a Zoom Nav class, now and again.

Bromsgrove Boaters

TrickyD

Visit site
Thanks all for the words of support guys, good to know there are boaters out there willing to spend a little time to help out a less experienced member of the fraternity?.

Auria, thanks for the tip, I’m on it, might see you out there!

Luminescent, another corking idea.

Uricanejack, you raise a good point, thanks. I do indeed know my way around a diesel engine, and also electrical systems, maybe I should have made more of it in my initial post ?.

Newtothis, thanks again ?.

I’m off mileage building next weekend (30th) down in the south east (covid permitting). It’s a paid opportunity (paid by me I mean), but at least it will keep the momentum going.

TrickyD

Visit site
I would also suggest CrewBay or Findacrew to find skippers (like myself) who need an extra person aboard from time to time. I am happy to take people with limited experience but plenty of enthusiasm and enjoy sharing my passion for sailing
CrewBay can seem a bit hit and miss and it's difficult to search. Findacrew has excellent search but one party (either the crew or boat owner) needs to be a paid member to allow exchange of messages. I use both and pay for Findacrew for a month when I have a specific need.
Unfortunately with winter approaching and CV19 making travel difficult there is not much on offer at present but you might still make some useful contacts for next year.
Thanks for the tip Ningaloo, I’d thought of Crewbay, but didn’t know about Findacrew. There are so many out there with different charging models, if Findacrew comes recommended I might give them a try.

RJJ

Visit site
Whether you, the Government or Aunt Sally says it's a "licence" or not is totally immaterial. Most charter operators will hire out their valuable assets to a Day Skipper, so they clearly consider it a "licence" in effect if not in law.

TrickyD I have PM'd you.

markspark7

Visit site
Thanks for the tip Ningaloo, I’d thought of Crewbay, but didn’t know about Findacrew. There are so many out there with different charging models, if Findacrew comes recommended I might give them a try.

Up here in lock down central (Liverpool) there's a charitable organisation call Shadowwind, ( www.shadowwind.org) .
Guys called James Lovett, he has a 35ft Gibsea and a 50ft yacht in Milford Haven.
He runs sailing days, nights and weekenders up and down to Conwy's and Fleetwood.
I'm using it to get my hours in before doing my DS in Tenerife at Christmas even though i've got ten years in on power boats.
Can highly recommend it ..

beermonkey

Visit site
[Content removed]
Well just hold on there pedant; an ICC is required to operate a vessel in EU waters. As the pink-pass is considered to be of a higher standard than the ICC and is accepted by EU authorities, it is indeed a "licence".

Well done young fella, me'lad @TrickyD - congrats on your Day Tripper - may your future sailing be all you hope for. Fair winds Sir and welcome to the Forum.

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
Well just hold on there pedant; an ICC is required to operate a vessel in EU waters. As the pink-pass is considered to be of a higher standard than the ICC and is accepted by EU authorities, it is indeed a "licence".

Well done young fella, me'lad @TrickyD - congrats on your Day Tripper - may your future sailing be all you hope for. Fair winds Sir and welcome to the Forum.

For the average yottie cruising France, Belgium, Holland, etc there is no need for an ICC unless venturing into the inland waterways.

TrickyD

Visit site
Up here in lock down central (Liverpool) there's a charitable organisation call Shadowwind, ( www.shadowwind.org) .
Guys called James Lovett, he has a 35ft Gibsea and a 50ft yacht in Milford Haven.
He runs sailing days, nights and weekenders up and down to Conwy's and Fleetwood.
I'm using it to get my hours in before doing my DS in Tenerife at Christmas even though i've got ten years in on power boats.
Can highly recommend it ..
Thanks markspark7, I will take a look at the website ?