Data bundle for occasional use

Dutch01527

Visit site
My boat is on a swing mooring on the Beaulieu river. All the phones and iPads for my business are on the Three network and there is no 4G coverage to speak of there. This is frustration if I spend a night onboard and want to use my iPad. I believe the O2 network has coverage there and there may be others Networks with coverage.

Does anyone know of a SIM card pay as you go deal including data that does not require a monthly top up. Basically I want to buy a lump of data and use it occasionally and then buy another when I have used it up which could be a few months.

halcyon

Visit site

penberth3

Visit site
Wife's on ASDA. still on PAYG, just harder to find since they changed network.

Brian

ASDA isn't selling true PAYG any more, but existing customers can keep it, I've got one. I haven't noticed any change to the ASDA mobile service since the changeover.

halcyon

Visit site
ASDA isn't selling true PAYG any more, but existing customers can keep it, I've got one. I haven't noticed any change to the ASDA mobile service since the changeover.

No, but now you mention it, since the change-over I have to charge her phone battery twice a week, before it was once a week :unsure:

Brian

Giblets

Visit site
I believe from a friend of mine who knows about such things ;) that true PAYG SIMs are being slowly phased out in order to frustrate the criminal fraternity who like to use them with 'burner phones' for nefarious activities such as County Lines, etc., etc.

arto

Visit site
I've been very satisfied with a "data only SIM" from Vodafone for my iPad. I went for 12GB - £30 one-off payment, though you can top-up online if it turns out 12GB isn't enough. For checking email and forecasts, it's plenty.

Various options available here: Vodafone

Dutch01527

Visit site
I've been very satisfied with a "data only SIM" from Vodafone for my iPad. I went for 12GB - £30 one-off payment, though you can top-up online if it turns out 12GB isn't enough. For checking email and forecasts, it's plenty.

Various options available here: Vodafone
That looks better. I will check the coverage on Vodaphone

Dutch01527

Visit site
GiffGaff (O2) is still payg or single month if you prefer, single month for my use, txt, is often cheaper.
I might be missing something but this is what I read on the GifGaf website “Simply, a goodybag is your monthly allowance of data, minutes and texts”. Data is only available via a goody bag which is monthly.

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
I think at 1p per mb that equates to £10 per Gb. That is £25 to watch a Netflix movie. Not a good solution unless my maths wrong
You may well be right. I don't watch much video other than Youtube shorts.
I use about £10 every two months. That's all calls, texts, and fairly low usage for surfing on my smartphone.

dutyhog

Visit site
I might be missing something but this is what I read on the GifGaf website “Simply, a goodybag is your monthly allowance of data, minutes and texts”. Data is only available via a goody bag which is monthly.
I’m on giffgaff. I have credit on PAYG which lasts until used - no time limit, and no pressure to use any of it. Mobile data is 10p/Mb.

But also I can buy a monthly goodybag if I want better value for a period of more than just casual use. There’s no need to buy more than a month’s worth if you don’t need it. For some time I’ve let my goodybag recur and use it a lot, but I can stop and start any time.

Giffgaff save on staff cost by having the users forum being the first point to answer queries and complaints. This has worked well for me, getting quick and helpful responses. You get credit for taking part, and for very few posts I’ve earned most of my PAYG credit so far. If that worked on this forum some would have earned a fortune

Last edited: