Cygnet

srp

Visit site
Have just seen an eBay ad for moulds to construct a Cygnet.
The ad number is 330857983970, and it describes the Cygnet as 'also known as a Corribee or Coromandel, which it probably isn't unless I'm missing something.
The entry for the Cygnet in my book Daltons Guide to Yachts of Yesteryear gives the following info:

Mfr Dixon Kerly
Designer Trevor Davis
Construction Wood
LOA 21'4"
LWL 16'8"
Beam 7'
Draft 3'
Displacement 3584 lbs
Ballast 1000 lbs
Sail area 185 sq ft
Aux engine 4hp Stuart Turner petrol
Fule cap 10 gallons
Headroom max 5'
Berths 3-4
An attractive double chine design from the early sixties. Available complete or as a kit for home construction.

Has anyone got a photo of a Cygnet they would be willing to post please?

VicS

Visit site
I have some details of Signet

Designed by Ray Kaufman. American, hence the spelling Signet instead of Cygnet.

19.8ft LAO, 6.7ft beam

Draft fin 3 ft, Twin 2ft

displacement 2146lb

AFAIK always GRP

There is a nice one ("Mini Swan") in Paynes yard which at one time belonged to someone I got to know fairly well.

They were I believe produced by Newbridge before they switched to the Corribee but had various builders after.
It was a boat I thought about buying at one time. IIRC I had a brochure from the then builder (1977 ish) but I don't still have it

The deck/ superstructure is virtually identical to he Newbridge Corribees because Newbridge simply adapted it for the Corribee in place of the previous design when they started building it.

Id be pretty sure what is on eBay will be the moulds for the Signet, although surprising they are still around.

Pretty sure I dont have any pics but I might try and get one or two if i drop in on Sunday while passing ... depends on the weather

Last edited:

Seajet

Visit site
The Signet was indeed different to the Corribee...

I can't seem to get photobucket to talk to this new forum, may just be me.

From 'Boat World - Sailing Cruisers 1973'

The Signet was designed by American Roy Caufman and built by British firm Marineways Ltd.

A pretty boat, even moreso the later Signet Super 20+.

Fin or twin keel.

Last edited:

VicS

Visit site
Thanks Vic - that seems to make more sense than the info I found. Based on what you have written I have found a few images of the Signet (eg on http://www.tradboat2.co.uk/editorial/cruisers.htm) and it is very similar to the Corribee, just as you say.

I think Gillmax, given as the builders in your link, were the builders when I was looking at them. The name sounds familiar. By the early 1980s they were being built by J Murray and Sons

Seajet

Visit site
VicS,

yes Gilmax of Wanstead, London were the builders later on; I have their original brochure for the Signet Super 20 before me but I don't seem to be allowed to show the rest of the brochure, anyone interested in a Signet feel free to PM me.

Last edited:

Grumpybear

Visit site
Not to be confused with the SigneT - a plywood dinghy sponsored by the Sunday Times to take on the Mirror. My father built one in the sixties, and I learned to sail in it.

johnnymartin

Visit site
I have some details of Signet

Designed by Ray Kaufman. American, hence the spelling Signet instead of Cygnet.

19.8ft LAO, 6.7ft beam

Draft fin 3 ft, Twin 2ft

displacement 2146lb

AFAIK always GRP

There is a nice one ("Mini Swan") in Paynes yard which at one time belonged to someone I got to know fairly well.

They were I believe produced by Newbridge before they switched to the Corribee but had various builders after.
It was a boat I thought about buying at one time. IIRC I had a brochure from the then builder (1977 ish) but I don't still have it

The deck/ superstructure is virtually identical to he Newbridge Corribees because Newbridge simply adapted it for the Corribee in place of the previous design when they started building it.

Id be pretty sure what is on eBay will be the moulds for the Signet, although surprising they are still around.

Pretty sure I dont have any pics but I might try and get one or two if i drop in on Sunday while passing ... depends on the weather
Amazing - I have just bought Mini Swan!- any information much appreciated. thank you johnny