Cutlass 27

Avocet

Visit site
Here you go - some photo's of my crappy diy! It's where we keep the tablet for navigation, wouldn't be without it! :)
Doghouse
Also allows us to have 2 solar panels....
Edit - can you view that album, not sure I've shared it right??
Oh wow! Thanks for sharing those, yes, it worked fine. Looks like a good place to be when the weather turns nasty! I made a sprayhood for Avocet, but it never really looked that good. I'll post some pics up later. I certainly envy you the grab handles!

Avocet

Visit site
Here is a copy of my catalogue for the Cutlass 27, including a price list from 1976.

Re the extras, a depth sounder was GBP 65, and a Log was GBP 72; prices have gone up about 8 or 9 times since then, so they were pretty expensive items then. And they don't even mention a VHF radio, as they were ridiculously expensive in the 70's.

Edit - MarcJ, that is a wonderful solid dodger on your Cutlass! I can see the photos (and the video) ok.

View attachment 83531

View attachment 83532

View attachment 83533

View attachment 83534

View attachment 83535

View attachment 83536

View attachment 83537

View attachment 83538

View attachment 83539

View attachment 83540

Great find! There's not much Cutlass stuff about. Did anyone ever get an owners association off the ground? I seem to remember there was a guy on Islay (or once of the Scottish islands) and someone ?Phil? in Norfolk or Essex?

NPMR

Visit site
Brilliant, such great memories. The Cutlass 27. Ours was called "Karouise" in our ownership. Long lost touch with her. Went back to the East Coast I heard.

My first Channel crossing, storm bound in Isles of Scilly. Even racing her, a bit.

Tough as old boots and get you to anywhere . Safe. OK not too roomy below, but sails beautifully, especially if you don't have a mainsail that's too baggy (quite liked it flat) with a quality headsail. We frequently outsailed other Cutlasses and kept up with bigger boats too at times.

Low cost (now).

Parts etc no problem. Only a few years ago we sold our Sabre 27 (same designer - Alan Hill - and factory) when she was 41 years old and repairs were just a matter of finding a local craftsmen.

It's the sort of boat you can't help enjoying hugely.

Avocet

Visit site
Brilliant, such great memories. The Cutlass 27. Ours was called "Karouise" in our ownership. Long lost touch with her. Went back to the East Coast I heard.

My first Channel crossing, storm bound in Isles of Scilly. Even racing her, a bit.

Tough as old boots and get you to anywhere . Safe. OK not too roomy below, but sails beautifully, especially if you don't have a mainsail that's too baggy (quite liked it flat) with a quality headsail. We frequently outsailed other Cutlasses and kept up with bigger boats too at times.

Low cost (now).

Parts etc no problem. Only a few years ago we sold our Sabre 27 (same designer - Alan Hill - and factory) when she was 41 years old and repairs were just a matter of finding a local craftsmen.

It's the sort of boat you can't help enjoying hugely.

Yes, that's been very much our experience too - right down to the flat mainsail! Avocet has always gone better with a reef in. (A slab reef, not the original roller reefing)! Only other criticism (apart from the space below) has been the tendency to fall on her nose when drying out next to a wall, but can forgive Avocet anything when hard on the wind, slicing through any sea we've yet encountered, with a little finger on the tiller!

MarcJ

Visit site
Ours is called Prime Suspect, it did the Jester challenge, before we got her, to Ireland, was also entered into the Jester challenge to the Azores before that, but didn't make it. I'm thinking of changing the name back to the original - Syringa (olive/lilac tree ish). I think whoever thought up Prime Suspect was thinking CUT a LASS which has taken me several years to figure out, and not a nice thought! :)

Last edited:

NPMR

Visit site
Only other criticism (apart from the space below) has been the tendency to fall on her nose when drying out next to a wall ......

We found that we could, quite literally, hang the boat by her nose to stop it tipping down. Bow roller and nice strong ropes and obviously, don't bounce around in the bow!

We used to put ropes on the tiller and a pulley from the cleats so could steer from many positions. Worked because, if sail balanced properly, going fast, the steering, as you pointed out, was so light.

We knew it was time to reef when green water was coming over the coaming into the cockpit. She was a touch 'tender'!

Avocet

Visit site
We found that we could, quite literally, hang the boat by her nose to stop it tipping down. Bow roller and nice strong ropes and obviously, don't bounce around in the bow!

We used to put ropes on the tiller and a pulley from the cleats so could steer from many positions. Worked because, if sail balanced properly, going fast, the steering, as you pointed out, was so light.

We knew it was time to reef when green water was coming over the coaming into the cockpit. She was a touch 'tender'!

Yes, that tallies with our experiences exactly. Avocet has a monster samson post on the foredeck. It makes the things you'd find on more modern boats look like something out of a Christmas cracker! We've also "hung" her off that when drying out and it seems more than up to the task. Also, as you mention, people are always surprised as they put a foot on the gunwale when climbing aboard, how tender she is. It's true, we had an Evolution 22 before Avocet. 8'4" in the beam but only 22 feet long, compared to Avocet's 7'6" beam. Much more form stability. However, Avocet doesn't often heel more than 45 degrees. She stiffens-up a lot at about 30 degrees. She's MUCH more reassuring than the Evolution in that respect. I've only once had green water in the cockpit (and not very much of it). Still not quite sure what happened. We were beating, and almost got knocked flat off Anglesey. I'm assuming some sort of weird down-draught coming off the nearby cliffs? She spends a lot of time with her lee rail in the water, but over the coaming, only once.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
I've responded to his question, his 'ask'. There's been an echoing silence since.

Was it something I said......?

No. He hasn't logged in since the day he posted his question :rolleyes: , and your kind first response wasn't until the following day.

At least it's triggered a useful exchange of information and some nice pics.:)

The Cutlass was once the boat of my dreams. A seriously good looking boat with an enviable reputation.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
I notice that the letter that accompanies the brochure Bajansailer posted says that Marcon moulded hulls for Fairey Marine (among others). I wasn't aware that Fairey produced boats with GRP hulls, and had assumed that they were all hot moulded wood (lie the Firefly dinghy I once had :) ). What would these GRP hulled Fairey boats be?

Dan Tribe

Visit site
A Cutlass came past us at Pin Mill last week, powered up and beating.
We both commented that it was good to see a proper boat being sailed well. Nostalgic moment.

Avocet

Visit site
A Cutlass came past us at Pin Mill last week, powered up and beating.
We both commented that it was good to see a proper boat being sailed well. Nostalgic moment.

They're definitely at their best when hard on the wind. Ullswater, being long and narrow, nearly always has the wind blowing up and down it, so there's nearly always quite a lot of tacking to be done. I find Avocet can point higher and make less leeway than most other boats, but that overall, it's not that much of an advantage because they just sail faster, a few degrees further off the wind.

NPMR

Visit site
There used to be a forum member, East Coast I think, with the username 'Karouise'. (Or was that you?).
When we had "Karouise" it were before this new fangled Inter World Web Net.

Massively fond memories of the boat - really good times and met some good friends that I still see and keep in touch with.

As someone else mentions, sailing upwind in a breeze was brilliant. A lot of leaning, but if the water wasn't coming into the cockpit then you still didn't need a reef! Not massively sociable inside the boat though.

My current boat is modern, roomy, convenient and sociable (and quicker) but the good old memories linger on.

Dan Tribe

Visit site
I was clearing out some old files recently and found an insurance claim form when my Stella Starfox and Karouise had a coming together during Burnham Week about 1980. Karouise came out unscathed, Starfox not so lucky.

Avocet

Visit site
I was clearing out some old files recently and found an insurance claim form when my Stella Starfox and Karouise had a coming together during Burnham Week about 1980. Karouise came out unscathed, Starfox not so lucky.

Did that have anything to do with your decision to get a Cutlass?! :)

Bajansailor

Visit site
I notice that the letter that accompanies the brochure Bajansailer posted says that Marcon moulded hulls for Fairey Marine (among others). I wasn't aware that Fairey produced boats with GRP hulls, and had assumed that they were all hot moulded wood (lie the Firefly dinghy I once had :) ). What would these GRP hulled Fairey boats be?

The Fairey Spearfish has a fibreglass hull - I think that these were also built for commercial use as fast patrol boats.
1973 Fairey Spearfish, West Mersea Essex - boats.com

The Fairey Fantome also has a fibreglass hull -
1973 Fairey Fantome, Beaulieu Hampshire - boats.com

The Amira was the largest motor yacht in their range - I thought she was fibreglass, but Google found one for sale that is wooden .
1974 Fairey Amira 53, costa del sol Spain - boats.com

Kdima

Visit site
Hello. Where are you. Can I help...?

47912113931_65082b96bd_z.jpg
Hello.I had a very bad experience with my Cutlass27,during the lifting operation, the straps slipped and boat fall back with the rudder into the water. Now can't steer properly and have a big crack on my ruder., probably the pivot is bended. What is your advice?

Other threads that may be of interest