Cutlass 27

R.Ems

Visit site
Hello.I had a very bad experience with my Cutlass27,during the lifting operation, the straps slipped and boat fall back with the rudder into the water. Now can't steer properly and have a big crack on my ruder., probably the pivot is bended. What is your advice?
Sorry to hear that.
Tell the yard you are claiming. ,Tell your insurance, it's 99% the boatyard's fault. Take lots of pics and write down and date and sign what happened. Get a couple of quotes for professional repair from different yards.
Others will add more suggestions hopefully.

Avocet

Visit site
Hello.I had a very bad experience with my Cutlass27,during the lifting operation, the straps slipped and boat fall back with the rudder into the water. Now can't steer properly and have a big crack on my ruder., probably the pivot is bended. What is your advice?
Sorry to hear that! Was it being lifted at a marina, using their equipment? If so, I think they should be liable to make good the damage. The first thing, is to lift the boat out again and inspect it. The rear lifting strop should be near the position of the sheet winches, so that it misses the rudder. (Sorry, I don't have a better picture than the one attached).

WP_000442s.jpg

You then need to assess the damage. The rudder shaft might be bent. Also, the bronze block at the bottom, which the lowest tip of the rudder shaft fits in, is only held to the hull by one bolt. Check that it has not pulled through the fibreglass. Ideally, post photos on here and we can see what's wrong. Also look inside the lazarette where the tiller bolts to the top of the rudder shaft, and see if it all looks straight in there.

Last edited:

zoidberg

Visit site

There is good advice in the previous replies. The force needed to crack/split the rudder would be huge, and it is likely that other damage has been done to the stainless rudder post, at the lower bearing where it exits the underside of the hull, and where it is supported at the lowest point by a bronze 'shoe' or rod.

You will need an insurance-appointed competent surveyor to assess the damage and provide you with a detailed Schedule of Work. Almost certainly the damaged rudder will need to be removed. He/she may be able to suggest some competent repairers for you, to acquire quotations for the work. The employer of the lifting-crane driver - possibly the marina or boatyard - will be insured against claims for damage, so you need to have your insurance company tackle the claim on your behalf ( provided you have insurance ).

Be very wary of leaving it all to the boatyard or crane driver's company. You need a competent professional working on your behalf - which usually means a qualified Yacht Surveyor.

I run a tight horizontal rope or strap each side between the lifting strops to prevent one or other from slipping forward/back.

Where are you ( your boat ) based?

Last edited:

zoidberg

Visit site
There is an active 'Marcon Cutlass 27' Group on the Facebook media channel, with over 90 members. Some of these live near Lowestoft and may be able to advise/help.
Would you care to join this group? There may be more direct help available there.

Kdima

Visit site
There is an active 'Marcon Cutlass 27' Group on the Facebook media channel, with over 90 members. Some of these live near Lowestoft and may be able to advise/help.
Would you care to join this group? There may be more direct help available there.
Thank for this information. I will try to join to that group. I have a quote for rudder repair and I m 99% sure the boat yard will cover me. The costs will be probably around £1000 for the rudder repair and probably another 1000 for pulpit fabrication and furller.

R.Ems

Visit site
Thank for this information. I will try to join to that group. I have a quote for rudder repair and I m 99% sure the boat yard will cover me. The costs will be probably around £1000 for the rudder repair and probably another 1000 for pulpit fabrication and furller.
Great news you are '99% the boat yard will cover the repair'. Did your insurance company get in touch with them?

zoidberg

Visit site

I'm pleased to hear that.
Also, I'll try to send you a Private Message.... that is, if YBWs rules permit.