Customs and Duty post Brexit

nortada

Visit site
Here's some food for thought, how do you guys think things will pan out with customs and duty post Brexit, I would imagine we are all in the habit of bringing all manner of boat equipment, personal goods, electronics, etc, etc back from the UK into the EU.
If as we do, come back with the car loaded to the gunnels of all but the kitchen sink and also all manner of things flyers have squirrelled in hold luggage. Also having anything sent to the EU, I have quite often used courier services.
What is your perception regarding duties of how the humourless boys in uniform from the UK and the EU are going to treat us as third country travellers with goods?

For years I have sourced boat bits from within the EU, nothing changes.

grumpygit

Visit site
For years I have sourced boat bits from within the EU, nothing changes.

I tend to use the UK because of not being able to find a particular product here in Greece that I require. Difficulty logistically of laying my grubby mits on a product Also by getting ripped off sometimes with tourist rates which really hacks me off.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Have you tried SVB ? And there shipping cost is very good .
I agree with buying stuff in Greece it always felt I was being ripped off.
I spend more time arguing the price then buying it.

When we brought the boat we have now we hualed out in Preveza in ionan yard , I spoke to the chandler in the marina next door in cleo and explained I was going to be spending a lot of money refitting the boat and asked about what discount they would give me , we talking up to 20K , the answer was nothing not a cent .
Have to say I didn't spend much in there after that , brought most on the Internet and got the rest in lefkas .

Visit site
As others have said, UK postage on many items is a bit of a joke. Cactus Nav for example wanted £20 to send a 30cm cable to Spain. Yet WaveInn will send the same cable to the UK for less than £4. Similar with many other UK sites, and that is ones that would actually send items abroad. Many weren't even interested. The UK is very insular in that regard. Almost like some companies are afraid of doing business outside of the UK.

The UK is good for fibreglass products and particularly for core materials. Electronics too is often a UK strong point. Most other items can be found cheaper, or easier abroad. SVB will post with minimal fees. I think it's €6.50 for most of Europe (unless the item is bulky or heavy). WaveInn will post anywhere too. Accastillage Diffusion can be expensive for some items, but there are also some good prices on there too. They will ship anywhere, and have store collection from any of their stores EU wide for free.

grumpygit

Visit site
I Just been looking at batteries as I going to have to replace mind over winter , they want £177 to ship four from the UK to Sicily ,
From Germany €17

Yes and depending on the make there's a high probability that they would be manufactured in Germany or very close. Don't forget Parcel Monkey, starting at £32 for up to 30 kgs and something like 70x50x50 cm in size and delivered to Greece in 4days.
But I very much doubt batteries.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Yes and depending on the make there's a high probability that they would be manufactured in Germany or very close. Don't forget Parcel Monkey, starting at £32 for up to 30 kgs and something like 70x50x50 cm in size and delivered to Greece in 4days.
But I very much doubt batteries.
Batteries Trojan but as yet still not 100% in buying them again after the last lot I had .

grumpygit

Visit site
Batteries Trojan but as yet still not 100% in buying them again after the last lot I had .

With Trojan being a premium product and world leader, if they haven't done you well then I suppose non will as there isn't much else out there for the money.
The last bank I bought, I tried Roll's, another supposedly premium product and I wasn't impressed with them either.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
With Trojan being a premium product and world leader, if they haven't done you well then I suppose non will as there isn't much else out there for the money.
The last bank I bought, I tried Roll's, another supposedly premium product and I wasn't impressed with them either.
Without going into it all again the last lot only 2 years old have lost most of their capacity,
Upto a few months back when I fitted a freezer they never been discharge more then 80% checked ever month for water use and gravity and where float every day , yes I know some say there bomb prove here but they can't be that bomb prove if I been looking after them and they US
But let not go into all that again , as I not going to keep answering the same question on how they where set so on and so on .
Too much of a thread drift