Curlew 9'

Yachtsman68

Visit site
Hi all. I have a Curlew 9', that after starting a repair seem to be restoring. I'm really struggling to find much information on the internet about them. I'd love any input, information and pics as you'd like to give me. ⚓

wombat88

Visit site
No experience of them but:

Described as a 'general purpose' sailing dinghy

Designed by Percy Blandford, first boat 1965, about a 1000 by 1970, highest sail number in 1970, 310, mostly kit built. 9' x 4'. Sail area 50sq ft, plywood, some grp.

Virtually no info on CVRDA website
Curlew |

Sometimes used as a tender, can be rowed or small outboard (?).

The rest should be obvious from your example, I'm just picking bits out of an old book!

Yachtsman68

Visit site
Thank you for your swift reply to my call for help. My Curlew's number is 1066, so I've named her Mora. I have a Seagull outboard that I have yet to get started, dating as far as I can see 1959/60.
Hopefully next week will bring me the weather to crack on.

wombat88

Visit site
I know who owns Merlin Rocket 1066 and I used to have Firefly F1066 which was called, somewhat predictably, Hastings.

For old dinghy questions etc the CVRDA has both a good if quiet website and a Facebook page (if you can standard that method of so called 'communication').

You can expect plenty of useful tips and suggestions (?!) there.

DownWest

Visit site
If you need help with the engine 'saving old seagulls' might be of use. But they are very simple. Tip: Last one I looked at no spark, ran some fine wet & dry between the points and it started second pull, after 15 +yrs in a shed.

To add: this was with a Heron, bit bigger than the Curlew, but probably similar, as most were back then. The friend who was given it repaired a hole on the hull built a rig and bought some Mirror sails off e-bay. Curiously, it had never been set up for sailing, so he had to fit a centre plate too. Put it in the river last week and a fine little boat for his grand daughter, who will enjoy it.

Last edited:

Yachtsman68

Visit site
If you need help with the engine 'saving old seagulls' might be of use. But they are very simple. Tip: Last one I looked at no spark, ran some fine wet & dry between the points and it started second pull, after 15 +yrs in a shed.

To add: this was with a Heron, bit bigger than the Curlew, but probably similar, as most were back then. The friend who was given it repaired a hole on the hull built a rig and bought some Mirror sails off e-bay. Curiously, it had never been set up for sailing, so he had to fit a centre plate too. Put it in the river last week and a fine little boat for his grand daughter, who will enjoy it.
Thank you. I think I fell lucky with the Seagull. I'm looking forward to striking the beast up

Guillemot2

Visit site
Hi all. I have a Curlew 9', that after starting a repair seem to be restoring. I'm really struggling to find much information on the internet about them. I'd love any input, information and pics as you'd like to give me. ⚓
I built a PW Blandford Curlew from plans about 50 yrs ago, in my teens. There is a great Facebook page The Percy Blandford appreciation Society, and a gentleman there has just posted superb pictures of his recent build. I've just registered on this site so I dont know if it emails me if there is a message, but glad to help with any queries if I can.