Cruising with Jane McDonald on the Thames Ch5

Scapegoat

Visit site
Magna Carta posting
“At long last we have an exciting announcement to make!..... in October 2020 we filmed Cruising with Jane McDonald and here is the amazing lady on the sun-deck cruising towards Windsor. We all had a fantastic time and were so glad that Jane chose us...... Jane’s cruise with us will be shown on Channel 5 on both the 23rd and 30th May......since filming these episodes Jane’s longtime partner Ed sadly passed away.... we have all sent her our deepest sympathy but so look forward to reliving the time she was aboard with us which took place before Ed was diagnosed......”
85CC966F-9EAE-4E71-AC39-939596D946B7.jpeg

Actionmat

Visit site
Excellent. The whole thing is camper than a row of tents and always worth a watch. Plus the ott song at the end, looking forward to this.
I'll be interested to see what the Magna Carta's like.

alfaman155

Visit site
African Queen was scrutinised by the Hotel Inspector, Alex Pollizzi.
Magna Carta got a bit of a mauling on 4 in a Bed from half- wits who expected the accommodation to be the same size as an actual hotel.

Gibeltarik

Visit site
Putting African Queen and Magna Carta in the same thread is like putting a homeless shelter and the Waterside Inn into a 'head to head'.

At least Magna Carta offers prices in sterling now (pre Covid US dollars only) - but still eye-watering!

Scapegoat

Visit site
Well that was an enjoyable and good hearted hour of Thames based entertainment- Hampton Court to Windsor (pt1 of 2). Tight fit under Windsor Bridge though ?

oldgit

Visit site
My only criticism, while lauding any attempt to publicize the delights that only the Thames can offer ? Rather too much time on interior shots of posh palaces/ pubs , the interior of the boat and precious little of what lay outside.
It did feel like an advertising puff for boat and surrounding tourist attractions at Windsor as opposed to a glimpse of the world of river itself.
Also noted some out of sequence shots !
O Gawd, am sounding like a Thames boater. ;)

Last edited:

Northern Star

Visit site
It was Ok but as with all her programmes it is cross between wish you were here and an advert for whatever cruise boat they are on. The singing at the end is obviously a contractual plug for the latest album etc but at least they are giving a reasonable time in spreading the Thames over two programmes.

If you haven't read it this book I got in a shop in Egham is very good and has loads of fascinating facts about the river: I Never Knew That About the River Thames: Amazon.co.uk: Winn, Christopher: 9780091933579: Books

We have great fun using it to keep us amused as we cruise the river.

madabouttheboat

Visit site
My only criticism, while lauding any attempt to publicize the delights that only the Thames can offer ? Rather too much time on interior shots of posh palaces/ pubs , the interior of the boat and precious little of what lay outside.
It did feel like an advertising puff for boat and surrounding tourist attractions at Windsor as opposed to a glimpse of the world of river itself.
Also noted some out of sequence shots !
O Gawd, am sounding like a Thames boater. ;)

It's the same with all the boaty programs. If you know the waterway, the shots are always out of sequence. I prefer to watch ones on waterways I don't know so that I can watch in ignorance and enjoy it for what it is, an entertainment programme, rather than sitting then grumbling into my Horlicks.

MystyBlue2

Visit site
African Queen was scrutinised by the Hotel Inspector, Alex Pollizzi.
Magna Carta got a bit of a mauling on 4 in a Bed from half- wits who expected the accommodation to be the same size as an actual hotel.
For the prices, I'd want the rooms to be the size of an actual hotel if not bigger!

Clearly, You'd only spend money on that barge if you've been trying to spend your millions but the interest builds it quicker than your able to spend it....Be a bit of a millionaires real game of "Go for broke"

D

Deleted member 36384

You can blow that sort of money on a standard cruise from Florida to the Caribbean and back while sharing the delights of the experience with thousands of others rammed onto the liner; still having to sign up for extra activities that have limited spaces to boot!. If Magna Carta provide a first class service and the market wants to pay the prices, then their pricing strategy is correct. It is a pretty unique experience I would have thought, cruising up the Thames.