Cruising in a classic sailboat? (Choy Lee Robb 35)

Gsouth

Visit site
Greetings sailors.

So... I have been in the market to upgrade my little 19' daysailor for quite a while now. I have been looking for something about 32-ish feet, small enough to comfortably single hand in and out of a the marina every weekend, but spacious and seakindly enough for the wife and I to do a 2-3 week / 400NM trip a few times a year.
Unfortunately, pickings are a quite slim for a well taken care of, older cruising sailboat down in Africa.

But, I recently came accross a beautiful Choy Lee Robb 35 sloop on my back door, for not very much more than my original budget. Its the GRP hullversion with an in-line galley. It seems to be have well cared for over its lifetime, with the plywooddecks having been replaced with teak on grp some years ago.
With the current owner having become older and less capable, it does need a bit of attention on the external varnish work, but this is all cosmetic and relatively easily broughy up to scratch. In all practical ways the boat is in no worse condition than any "more modern" boat I would have considered.

Now, my question to my fellow cruising enthusiasts...
Please tell me why its a bad idea to get a beautiful and capable, long overhang classic sailboat for on/off cruising.
Is there some fatal flaw these kind of boats have for the kind of things we want to do with them?

Any experience, input, or brainstorming would be greatly appreciated.

Ill add a photo of a similar boat for you guys to drool over
biggrin.gif

G

Attachments

• D4395ED2-5426-4545-B47A-F8E787C3D6D4.jpeg
    D4395ED2-5426-4545-B47A-F8E787C3D6D4.jpeg
    63.2 KB · Views: 52

BabaYaga

Visit site
Please tell me why its a bad idea

If you are really keen to get some discouragement, perhaps it would be a better idea to post in the PBO forum, where I am sure you will get many warnings regarding lack of space, comforts and performance. Not to mention the horrors of teak decks.
Personally, having had a boat of similar style for almost 40 years (although smaller), I don't find the idea particularly bad.

Also, welcome to the forums!

X49Sailor

Visit site
A guy who crewed with me owns one in Canada and is very happy with it. I could put you in touch if you are not interested

Tranona

Visit site
They were very high class boats in their day, both in terms of design and construction and over the years several have been used successfully for long term cruising. You don't spell out exactly what you want to do in terms of where you are going to sail, how big a crew and whether you intend living aboard. The last bit is their weakest point in terms of design, but there is enough space for 2 people who are happy living a good basic lifestyle - that is no need for 10 changes of clothes, a shower and hair wash every day (with an electric hair dryer), a deep freeze for steak dinners every night - you get the picture. On the other hand, properly prepared and maintained the boat will take you anywhere you want.

The key thing owning a boat of this type of construction - and I have just bought one, having owned a similar type in my younger days is keeping on top of maintenance. The enemy of composite construction is fresh water getting into the joints in the superstructure and between the wood and the GRP. Add in a hot climate and you have perfect conditions for leaks and rot. However if you get it up to scratch and keep on top of maintenance there is no reason why a boat of that quality should not continue to give good service. Assuming the structure is sound as with any old boat the big cost items are sails and engines so pay particular attention to the condition of those. When these boats were built electronics and electrics were pretty basic and often poorly executed, plus no doubt owners will have "improved" them over the years. On my boat, everything electrical worked but the wiring and power supplies are a nightmare so one of my big projects is literally ripping it all out and starting again. Fortunately I have experience of doing this, so although a challenge is something I am looking forward to. If you don't like electrics find somebody who does!

So don't dismiss such a boat - owning one can be very rewarding but demanding in equal measure. do post photos of the boat and there are many people on this forum who can offer advice on individual issues.

Gsouth

Visit site
A guy who crewed with me owns one in Canada and is very happy with it. I could put you in touch if you are not interested
Yes please, i would really like to have an owner I can chat with, show a few photos and ask a few questions, thanks!

srm

Visit site
to get a beautiful and capable, long overhang classic sailboat for on/off cruising.
I have owned three monohuls with similar hull form (plus two catamarans and a 50ft fishing boat). I have also been paid to skipper a few modern 'dinghy hull with a lid on' type yachts.

Internal space will be significantly less for overall length than the modern 'dinghy hull with a lid on'. Seaworthyness and directional stability will be significantly better making for slightly slower but more comfortable passages and more predictable handling under sail, especially in gusty conditions. As far as overhangs go, yours are quite modest. The 8 metreC/R I owned and operated as a charter yacht was 42ft on deck and 30ft on the waterline, (Should have been 26ft but she had a heavy diesel added). The only time the long counter slapped was when steerage way was lost.

The only significant downside is manouvering in a marina or other tight spaces, as going astern is a case of watching which way the boat wants to go, and working with it. I found judicial use of a little headsail could help turning if the wind allowed. Knowing how to use springs when bething/unberthing or to turn the boat can make close quarters handling a lot easier. Under power the turning circle will be wider than with a fin and spade rudder, but use of ahead and astern plus propwash will allow you to turn in the boat's length.

Go for it, and enjoy looking after a work of art and the admiring looks of bystanders.

Last edited:

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Nothing I can help with, but Cheoy Lee boats were the ultimate aspiration of my teenage years! Whenever we saw one, we'd go and drool over it. Things of great beauty, and it's good to know they're still going strong. Shame that Cheoy Lee moved out of the sailing boat market - they make millionaire's toys, now.