cruising Guides / Pilots

G

Hi,

Does anyone have any recommendations for pilots or cruising guides covering the Fresian Islands, Dutch & Belgian Coasts and the South Coast of England? I have used the Shell Pilot for the South Coast in the past.

Suggestions most welcome.

Fred

G

Of the ones that're generally available, I didn't find one that covered all of this area, but used a combination of Brian Navin's book on crossing the North Sea (useful for the coastal ports up to Den Helder), the Guide to Cruising the Netherlands (mostly covers the inland waters and doesn't go much further along the coast than Navin, but it does cover eg. the Schelde Delta and the Waddenzee, which Navin doesn't) and Cruising in Germany and Denmark all of which are sold in most chandlers.

Between them they cover pretty much the whole of the area you mention. The Navin book has lots of interesting info.

Generally, though buying three pilot books to cover the area is a bit pricey and I don't think these books will tell you much more on ports than you'll find in Macmillans Nautical Almanac and by looking at charts, unless you're heading inland into the Netherlands or into the Baltic.

Perhaps you should try the Cruising Association?

G

Simonc writes>

> Generally, though buying three pilot books to cover the area is a bit pricey and I > don't think these books will tell you much more on ports than you'll find in
> Macmillans Nautical Almanac and by looking at charts, unless you're heading
> inland into the Netherlands or into the Baltic.

I bought a boat in Germany and I shall be bringing her back to the UK. It is unlikely that I'll be doing another trip in the North Sea for some time to come and the thought of spending over £100 on Pilot Books is a bit frightening.

I'll probably get a decent South Coast Pilot but I was hoping someone might know of a single book that was worth getting.

Regards

Fred

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Brian Navin's North Sea pilot book contains little information that is not in the almanac. My normal cruising grounds are the North Sea and the Dutch and Belgian coasts but I have never found the need to buy this pilot. I would recommend the Dutch North Sea tidal atlas, which gives more detailed information than Macmillans. Dutch charts are highly detailed and re-issued every year. One set covers Belgium and Holland as far north as Texel and another goes past the German border. As far as I remember the set is very reasonably priced, about 17 pounds.

Brian Navin's Dutch inland pilot is quite worthwhile if spending a good deal of time in the Netherlands, although far more information is contained in the Wateralmanak. Unfortunately this is only available in Dutch, OK for times of bridges, etc but there is much else besides. I find I use this pilot fairly regularly but it would be of little use for a coastal trip, although it does cover the entry ports to some extent.

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
CA Handbook

The Cruising Assoc's Handbook is pretty good on more major yachting ports and harbours and a fair few minor ones, plus has sensible passage planning info. It covers all of NW Europe down to Gibraltar, so has considerable ongoing value, and there is an update service.

Doesn't have almanac info, though.

It's cheaper, too, if you join the CA.

G

Re: CA Handbook

Hi,

I have decided to go for the Macmillan Almanac and the Shell South Coast pilot. A kind friend has lent me his copy of Brian Navin's book for Holland and it looks fairly comprehensive (having just skimmed through it.) I like the idea of the CA's handbook and I think I might grab a copy of that as well - but not quite yet. Trouble with these things is they are so expensive and usually fairly heavy.

Thanks for the advice.

Regards

Fred