Cruise Ships in Channel

Sadlerfin

Visit site
From my home on Hayling yesterday I watched (yes i'm missing my boat) Britannia heading out I looked her up on AIS and she is off to Weymouth following her and Azura they are simply wandering around the Channel . Two other cruise ships are moored in Southampton and one anchored off Bembridge.

Not sure of the logistics but what do you with a Cruise ship with no passengers, I guess only a few Harbours to moor and if you anchor off do you have to run generators for power.

Interesting times

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
Most ships run their generator plants full time as their power demands tend to exceed easily connected shore power systems. Not got any here in Falmouth at present but it wouldn’t surprise me to see some in the bay or Carrick Roads before all this is over. Not likely to moor alongside as there's not much space and it’s expensive compared to anchoring.

Blue Sunray

Visit site
Queen Victoria and one of the P&O ships returned yesterday to Soton after a couple of days stooging around the channel, I was likewise intrigued.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
Nobody wants to cold lay up a cruise ship, as they are like dive support vessels and warships - horribly complicated inside with lots and lots of systems to go wrong when left cold and be hard to trace in reactivation. So the trick is to get the hotel crew off as soon as they have tidied up and you can get flights for them and then stay in hot layup with the deck and engine crew onboard.

If this goes on for a while the Scottish lochs are going to be seeing some visitors.

Breaking news - Carnival Corporation, which includes Carnival, P&O Princess, Cunard, Holland America, Costa and half a dozen others is looking to raise US$6 Billion to tide it over.

gertha

Visit site
Carnival Corporation could consider taking the whole fleet to a great big anchorage in Orkney.
Sink the whole lot before the bailiffs arrive.
Sell it for scrap.
Chop the whole lot up for sewing machines.

Just an idea.

Worked last time.

Simon

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
Good idea.

A bit of trivia; as a young man I worked for the firm of City solicitors who acted in salvage cases for Bugsier Reederei und Bergungs AG of Hamburg. They had and have a long and distinguished history including steadfast opposition to the Nazis, starting with the moment in 1933 when they were ordered to stop working with Cox and Danks on the raising and scrapping of the High Seas Fleet ‘because it was undignified for a German firm to be involved in such work’.

Bajansailor

Visit site
We have become a veritable hub for cruise ships here in Barbados - apart from the blue blobs showing up in Carlisle Bay on this link below there is also Sea Cloud, Wind Star and Seabourn Odyssey anchored off and north of Port St Charles further north up the west coast.
MarineTraffic: Global Ship Tracking Intelligence | AIS Marine Traffic

Some of them (and previous arrivals) discharged passengers here to fly home - many thousands of pax have flown out from here in the last few weeks.
Everybody is awaiting orders now as to where to go next - and Barbados is one of the few places in the Caribbean welcoming cruise ships. Our local agents are being run ragged trying to keep up with the demands for services. The ships take turns to come alongside in the harbour and the crew are not allowed to go ashore when they come in.